RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

SoundDistributors_635091548656900000.jpg

Not sure who is at fault, I mean the box was labeled "Black". This is my second order of Klipsch thru them, first time I changed my mind and he shipped me new speakers while I was still shipping the other models back. So I can't complain about the service. Plus they respond to emails fast.

Edited by gadgtfreek

imhope this works out for you. The crossover is based on them woofers being in a rf-7ii cabinet. Still not sure why you don't build the same size cabinet and just build it sideways and front port it.

It was also set up with the idea that it will have rear ports, and I'll have two others right next to it that will continue to be set up like that. Front ports scare me as much or more than sealing it then crossing them over fairly high.

Worst case I'll build a rearranged clone. Only problem is that unless I shave it down it would be beyond massive for a horizontal center, and bad enough even if I do, especially if I also expect to have subs up front, which to be honest, may could be rethought if one is going to have three full sized RF-7ii's up front.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Not sure why front ports scare you lol. There are tons of fromt ported speakers out there.

They're just usually not a mix and match situation where half your speakers are front ported and the other otherwise identical ones are rear. If identical frequency response is the goal, I can't wrap my head around the idea that this would be a good thing.

Wouldn't it be equal as long as ports are equal? Or is there some sort of loading of pressure for rear port having wall boundary reinforcement? If so, wouldn't the distance of speaker to wall mitigate some of the "loading"

I'm totally talking out of my a$$ but that's what I would hypothesize could be the only issue?

Wouldn't it be equal as long as ports are equal? Or is there some sort of loading of pressure for rear port having wall boundary reinforcement? If so, wouldn't the distance of speaker to wall mitigate some of the "loading"

I'm totally talking out of my a$$ but that's what I would hypothesize could be the only issue?

I can't confirm this and am only regurgitating a conversation with an amateur designer, but supposedly you can actually model a speaker with software in the room you plan to put it in and the results are significantly different depending on which way you port it, the F3 can change quite a bit. As a real world example, the F3 of a Vifa 12" (now Tymphany) will change from 24 hz in-room to 40 hz if you switch the port location, I think the rear location is lower but would assume the front is louder, not sure though.

Then there's the whole idea about midrange noise coming through the ports which is a big reason that rear porting is popular in the first place.

Then there's potential phase issues, as front ports are more in-line with the driver and the rear, not so much.

Both have advantages and disadvantages, but mixing the two together, not just in the same room but across your front stage? I just have a hard time believing that's a good idea, moreso than just sealing it and cutting them off fairly high.

Anyway, not sure what I'm going to do yet, still debating. It's not really a life or death decision, if I don't like how something turns out, worst case I'm out a $33 sheet of MDF. I may just make a full size clone and rear port the thing so nobody will question it. :)

My only worry is you jack the whole crossover setup completely going sealed. As that crossover was built after the cabinet and everything is done. All the reference center besides 64ii were front ported. Don't know why it would hurt anything at all. And any noise coming from port would most likely be so little it wouldn't matter otherwise they would sell zero 42,52,62 centers. Don't you think?

It ready doesn't matter anyways if you aren't putting it in the wall behind your screen which is what I thought you were doing.

Too much trouble, too much crap in the wall like plumbing. I'm going to sell my screen and get a bigger Da-Lite that isn't transparent.

It ready doesn't matter anyways if you aren't putting it in the wall behind your screen which is what I thought you were doing.

Too much trouble, too much crap in the wall like plumbing. I'm going to sell my screen and get a bigger Da-Lite that isn't transparent.
i think you should come check out at with center behind before you make the final decision

My only worry is you jack the whole crossover setup completely going sealed. As that crossover was built after the cabinet and everything is done.

If these woofers are anything like most any other woofer, once you get about an octave above the tuning frequency of the port, a ported box vs. a sealed one has virtually the same output. If you implement a high pass filter that cuts them off even higher, I don't see why it matters much.

Don't know why it would hurt anything at all.

Only thing that porting would hurt at all is that a full sized RF-7ii sitting sideways under my screen would be massive. That's about it. But, that might be cool. :) I'm only brainstorming and wondering if I could get away with a smaller box. RF-7ii's were designed to run full range and can produce pretty low bass. They're not cinema speakers that can't handle below 80 hz. If you're going to run them like a cinema speaker and not let them feed on the low stuff then I don't see why it matters.

R7-II owners. I am curious to what equipment are being used to push/run these great speakers. Are you owners mainly home theater receivers with the speakers Or do you have an integrated or preamplifier/amplifier combination. I am also curious if any owners have tube components?