RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

R7-II owners. I am curious to what equipment are being used to push/run these great speakers. Are you owners mainly home theater receivers with the speakers Or do you have an integrated or preamplifier/amplifier combination. I am also curious if any owners have tube components?

I was AVR only up until 2 years ago and always felt there should be more clarity running reference volumes during movies. I tried out an Outlaw 7125 pushing my RF82ii's and RC62ii's, and really felt at high volumes the amp just left the AVR behind. Sure, the speakers are efficient but I have seen knowledgeable folks discuss transients during musical stuff and heavy action scenes, and the power helps. Speaker X may only normally need 50w, but it could peak a lot higher depending on the music or scene. I also know some claim there is an ohm drop on some of the Klipsch models, but I can't speak to that. I'm sold as far as having an amp goes, but I dont think everyone needs one. 

One thing I dislike about AVS is most there just jump all over you about getting an amp in amp threads, and you hear how a Klipsch speaker only needs 20w to hit "X" spl when they find out that is the speaker you have. I personally haven't experienced that result, and I tend to be very honest about audio and video improvements. I have no issue bashing a product either.

Long story short, I will always have an amp if I can, which is why I "upgraded" to an Outlaw 7500 (about 240w/channel all channels driven at rated distortion) to run the RF7ii's I am getting. Other issue with AVR's, the more channels you drive, the less wattage they output. I like a good AVR with XT32 and dual sub eq for the preamp, and then an actual amp for the speakers. YMMV.

Another key to the amp, with big towers, is I intend on running the RF7ii's at 60hz, not 80. More power/headroom the better. One of the defenses for crossing speakers at 80hz is it protects the AVR and leaves more headroom. Get the right amp and it doesnt matter what you do. Finally, and most importantly, amps arent in everyone's budget.

I havent pushed mine with tubes so cant say there. I use mine in HT. I dont have a dedicated room so the living room is the HT. I typically just use a receiver (I have 3 of them now trying to figure out which one to keep) and currently using Yamaha 773WA but when I get the itch, I will hook up the Outlaw 7125 and use it with the receiver as a pre. For me, there is very little difference between the 2 setups. It does put my mind at ease when using the Outlaw amp knowing I wont ever clip with it as my ears would bleed before that would happen. So I do have a tendency to turn the volume up a little more with the Outlaw. I'm too skeeered to push the receiver too hard.

But even though mostly used for HT, the 2 channel music from Oppo 103 sounds mighty fine. Oh, and I do run a sub. (The Lil Wrecker). 

I recently bought a pair and have used them with both my solid state benchmark AHB2 using both an nbs nos valves preamp as well as with my benchmark DAC2 as a preamp. I have also used my Mcintosh MC225 power amp again with both previously mentioned preamps and finally with my nos valves st70 as the power amp. All Amps can make the rf7ll's sing just fine. This is strictly a 2 Channel set up. No HT

My previous speakers were belle klipsch with upgraded crossovers and a Alk Trachorn. Loved my belles but I'm really liking the rf7s. I would have to say that my new favorite amp is the benchmark. It is truly remarkable a very tube like sounding solid state amp. Tube like with the incredible inner detail , sustain and musicality of the best tube Amps I have owned.

I do not tend to listen at really high volume, but I do have a very large room with high ceilings.

Big fan of the rf's I believe they have replaced my belles. Both for the smaller footprint and the sound.

It does put my mind at ease when using the Outlaw amp knowing I wont ever clip with it as my ears would bleed before that would happen. So I do have a tendency to turn the volume up a little more with the Outlaw.

That is part of it too, I agree. We watch blu-rays between -2.0db and +2.0db on the Denon, so it is pushing good.

It does put my mind at ease when using the Outlaw amp knowing I wont ever clip with it as my ears would bleed before that would happen. So I do have a tendency to turn the volume up a little more with the Outlaw.

That is part of it too, I agree. We watch blu-rays between -2.0db and +2.0db on the Denon, so it is pushing good.
i still can't get over this. That is so loud I can't imagine watching a full movie that loud. In my theater you would have hearing damage after half of a movie if you watched that loud. I can only demo briefly at that volume.

Not sure of the why, always has been. Run my subs at +10db hot too. Room is about 5300cuft. I do not find the towers and center to be offensive to my ears.

Here is my data I built to track as I added the second sub:

New db numbers for MLP (0.0 reference setting on AVR):

Scene---1st VTF15---2nd in March---After pro cal and 90hz xover for flat response in room

Transformers, city battle at end---111.0---113.0---116.3 (hwy batte right before yielded 117 smile.gif )
Act of Valor, gun boat scene---109.8---111.8---114.6
Iron Man 2, final battle---111.0---114.2---116.1
Episode 1, pod race---110.8---114.5---115.8

Edited by gadgtfreek

I recently bought a pair and have used them with both my solid state benchmark AHB2 using both an nbs nos valves preamp as well as with my benchmark DAC2 as a preamp. I have also used my Mcintosh MC225 power amp again with both previously mentioned preamps and finally with my nos valves st70 as the power amp. All Amps can make the rf7ll's sing just fine. This is strictly a 2 Channel set up. No HT

My previous speakers were belle klipsch with upgraded crossovers and a Alk Trachorn. Loved my belles but I'm really liking the rf7s. I would have to say that my new favorite amp is the benchmark. It is truly remarkable a very tube like sounding solid state amp. Tube like with the incredible inner detail , sustain and musicality of the best tube Amps I have owned.

I do not tend to listen at really high volume, but I do have a very large room with high ceilings.

Big fan of the rf's I believe they have replaced my belles. Both for the smaller footprint and the sound.

Now that is interesting.

So u are using Benchmark DAC to NBS pre to The Benchmark amplifier?  You preferred this over the MC225 and the ST70?

Regardless.  Good information.

I've yet to hear the RF-7 or the RF-7II's

Edited by jwc

People use a lot of different things to push their RF 7's.  I have used an avr's, power amp and prefer the avr/amp combo.  I have also used them with a tube hybird amp.  A lot depends on room size and listening habits.  I rarely blast music since I listen to a lot of jazz.  Most movies are -10 to -20 and demoing  the system is all out at 0 or reference level for the system.  I am always thinking about hearing damage from to long, to loud of listening sessions.  I like the hobby and want to protect the old ears, lol.

I'm certainly late to this thread.  Apology.

It would be nice to see a POLL attached or separate on this forum Home Theater to VOTE "RF7-II primarily used for 1.) HT/surround Music or 2.) 2 channel Music".  

Not sure of the why, always has been. Run my subs at +10db hot too. Room is about 5300cuft. I do not find the towers and center to be offensive to my ears.

Scene---1st VTF15---2nd in March---After pro cal and 90hz xover for flat response in room

Transformers, city battle at end---111.0---113.0---116.3 (hwy batte right before yielded 117 smile.gif )

what are you measuring with and where are you I wanna come check your setup out. Those numbers are unreal

Now that is interesting.

So u are using Benchmark DAC to NBS pre to The Benchmark amplifier?  You preferred this over the MC225 and the ST70?

Regardless.  Good information.

I've yet to hear the RF-7 or the RF-7II's

Actually for the most part I am using the Benchmark DAC2 as the preamp for the Benchmark AHB2 Power amp. For phono I am using a George Wright wpp100 tube phono stage. When I am not listining to vinyl, I am using a mac mini based server with puremusic software. Sounds pretty amazing. The Benchmark power amp is remarkable. It has been a real eye opener for me. I never thought I would find a solid state amp that could satisfy and I have found it in spades!  I am far from a technical guy but the in reading about the amp, the reasons it sounds as good as it does make sense to me. It is somewhat of a different approach. nice review here

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1214/Benchmark_Media_AHB2_Stereo_Power_Amplifier_Review.htm

and specific info on the design approach is here

http://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/news/14680625-the-ahb2-a-radical-approach-to-audio-power-amplification

Josh

Transformers, city battle at end---111.0---113.0---116.3 (hwy batte right before yielded 117 smile.gif )

what are you measuring with and where are you I wanna come check your setup out. Those numbers are unreal

He's from LA…….Lower Alabama :D

• Like 1

ok dillema in my head solved. If your running 10 db hot subs and listening at reference you should be seeing 125 db. So your numbers reflect more of 10 below reference which is TOTALLY different and EXACTLY where I listen at. Makes much more sense to me now :)