RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

hmmm... trying to produce frequency above 1200hz covering 2-3 octaves poses significant challenge with a 10" speaker.

Keeping the original RF-7 II crossover, 2*10" speakers and 1.75" horn loaded tweeter might be a best bet unless one wants to R&D :D

the center shouldn't have a need for that much air movement?

Metallica's Through the Never movie has a TON of kick drums that comes through the center.  My 64 flexes pretty hard.  This movie will be nuts with six ported 10's across the front.  

• Like 1

IMG_2944_zpswym8tt0w.jpg

What do you hope to gain ?

Is it more visuals or better performance of some sort ?

These 10" RF7-II babies sure look good ;-)

Because in terms of driver-surface, 2*10"=about 157inch² and the current RC64-II has 4*6,5"=132inch² so not spectacular more.

For me, the RC64-II is a very capable box...

IMG_2944_zpswym8tt0w.jpg

Because in terms of driver-surface, 2*10"=about 157inch² and the current RC64-II has 4*6,5"=132inch² so not spectacular more.

what he hopes to gain is the benefit of what an LCR offers. If you haven't heard three identical speakers across the front stage I highly suggest you try and find a way to hear it. It's perfect. Plus once you hear a better center than the 64ii I hate to say it but the 64ii falls short of the rf-7ii speaker.

Scrappy's right, I'm hoping it will blend better.  Sometime listen to three identical speakers for extended periods of time, its just not the same, its way better.  I used to have three THX's across the front and there was seamless panning.  While the 64 is perfectly acceptable for quite a bit of material, I largely lost that seamless panning when I switched to RF-7ii's and a RC-64ii.  The tone is off just enough that you can tell the difference on some material.  That is the only goal in this endeavor at all.  I do think it will be more powerful down low though, there's no way the 64 has the same growl as RF-7ii's.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Scrappy's right, I'm hoping it will blend better.  Sometime listen to three identical speakers for extended periods of time, its just not the same, its way better.  I used to have three THX's across the front and there was seamless panning.  While the 64 is perfectly acceptable for quite a bit of material, I largely lost that seamless panning when I switched to RF-7ii's and a RC-64ii.  The tone is off just enough that you can tell the difference on some material.  That is the only goal in this endeavor at all.  I do think it will be more powerful down low though, there's no way the 64 has the same growl as RF-7ii's.  

and that larger horn will help in midrange and highs as well

Sorry if I missed it but Metro, have you started a thread with this build? That would be cool.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/156716-some-new-copper-toys-aka-rc-7ii-center-build-thread/?p=1866475

The RC 64 is an excellent center and because of the 6.5 in woofers and the tappered array design delivers excellent midrange performance.  With 8 in. woofer there many be more problems with female vocals and a bit of to much bass in that range.  I may be in the minority view but, 6.5 woofer in a system with subwoofers is perfect.  For HT, no one speaker has to do everything since it is working in combination with other speakers.

The RC 64 is an excellent center and because of the 6.5 in woofers and the tappered array design delivers excellent midrange performance.  With 8 in. woofer there many be more problems with female vocals and a bit of to much bass in that range.  I may be in the minority view but, 6.5 woofer in a system with subwoofers is perfect.  For HT, no one speaker has to do everything since it is working in combination with other speakers.

On the flip side, I am intrguiged by having fronts (RF7ii) and a center (RC7) than I can cross at 60hz. Would be a fun experiment. Ive always went with the (let the subs do the work) but they have another job to do as well, and that is the LFE channel. I think if you can have a better supporting cast of speakers, it takes a little less load off the subs.

• Like 1

My personal opinion is that smaller speakers are perfectly fine until you introduce music.  I think larger speakers do better with concert blu rays.  I don't like the idea that subwoofers have to help out with the fullness of an electric guitar, your front stage ought to be able to sound great by themselves with instruments.  

That is my direction, and I do not know fully because I have never had the speakers to do it. I want to be able to cross the fronts and center lower (60hz), to see what that adds. I get the subs can do the other work, but if you have the right fronts, they should not have to pass off more of the load to the subs.

Does having front speakers that can carry 60 or 40hz allow the sub some more accuracy since it can focus on sound below that plus the LFE channel and whatever it is handling for other speakers? Versus all speakers crossed at 80?

Does having front speakers that can carry 60 or 40hz allow the sub some more accuracy since it can focus on sound below that plus the LFE channel and whatever it is handling for other speakers? Versus all speakers crossed at 80?

I think it helps when the source is moving around.  Some of the higher frequencies can be localized if played through the subs, so when an electric guitar or gunshot is playing on only one front main, I want as much sound as possible coming from that location.  That sounds more accurate to me than most of the sound coming from there with your subs picking up the slack in a different location.  Once you cross over a little lower and the frequencies are omnidirectional and less localizable then it doesn't matter nearly as much.  

Also it lets you run your subs hotter than usual.  Doesn't matter nearly as much if your subs are flat but if you like running your subs 6-10 db hot like many including myself like to do, crossing them over lower avoids weird exaggerations.  Boosting subs yet still crossing them over high can produce very strange male voices, pistols sound like cannons, etc.  

I wouldn't have thought this was an issue until I heard a system in St. Louis with very expensive Revel's and only one 15" sub.  He didn't cross over until 40 hz.  Sounded awesome.  We played the scene where Whiplash whipped and shocked the F1 racers in Iron Man 2, sounded amazing, huge sound.  You need a good amp to really pull that off though.