RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

Another good aspect. I do run my subs 10db up over what audyssey calibrates them at, so headroom is key on that channel. Less unnecessary load the sub has the better the LFE, at least in my thinking.

All this is why I am trying to go big on speakers and went big on an amp. I want to try it. I have no doubt the 7ii's can do 60hz, and looking at the spec the RC7 should do 60hz too.

Edited by gadgtfreek

I have my RF 7ii crossed over at 60 and it sounds great. I will swap it back to 80 sometimes and to me, it really depends on the source. 1 song might sound better at 60 but the next may be better at 80. But I listen to 2 channel via USB with Oppo 103 and all the songs are MP3. That may explain the difference. I am cheap, I get a lot of songs/MP 3 from You Tube.

My sub isnt exactly a little monster, its the Lil Wrecker so maybe that has something to do with it too. Dunno.

I was able to get them 9 feet apart, and they are 10.3 feet from the MLP. They are toed in and aimed at a center mark (tape) on the wall 2 feet behind the MLP. So they are toed in, but not super aggressive, bout like I had my 82ii's. basically aiming over the inside arm rest of mine and my wife's chairs, with a center table between us being the MLP. I think I need to get the 64ii quickly. Audyssey set the 62ii at -12db and the fronts at -9db. I also crossed them at 60hz.

IMG_0955_zps159ybcwy.jpg

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1

I do use a cloth over the table, for sure. I contacted audyssey and they said the error could be the system trying to level match the 62ii horn and the 7ii horn in the room. 

They recommend checking with volume at 0 for the pink noise 75db on all 3 and see what the readings are. I had the mic at 39", and the horns are about 45". The 62ii is angled upward, and has always been like that. Ill check the levels next and see what there are.

They also gave this advice:

"The trims will not affect the MultEQ XT32 room correction. The only Audyssey technologies that will be slightly affected is Dynamic EQ and Audyssey LFC."

I just checked with the SPL meter as they instructed.

FL 75.2 to 75.6

FR Damn near the same

Center 75.3 to 75.8

I think they are fine for now. Off behavior though. With the 82ii's they were always around -4db or so and the 62II was -9 to -10 depending on the run.

I was able to get them 9 feet apart, and they are 10.3 feet from the MLP. They are toed in and aimed at a center mark (tape) on the wall 2 feet behind the MLP. So they are toed in, but not super aggressive, bout like I had my 82ii's. basically aiming over the inside arm rest of mine and my wife's chairs, with a center table between us being the MLP. I think I need to get the 64ii quickly. Audyssey set the 62ii at -12db and the fronts at -9db. I also crossed them at 60hz.

Hmmm. If Audyssey set the RC-62II at -12 I agree something doesn't sound right. As the poster above said, the RF-7IIs should have more trim than your current center and the RC-64II is even more sensitive. Fwiw, another culprit of this could be that you started with the gain to your sub too high (volume on the sub) but that probably isn't it because the AVR-5420ci lets you know if you are starting with it hot--Just a thought.

Subs were set -9db, and that is where they always are round abouts. I did not mess with their settings. I tend to run Audyssey every 3 months, and you are looking at that over the course of 3 years. Either the amp or the 7ii's threw this out of whack somehow, I mean nothing else has changed.

Well, and the marantz preamp.

Amp and the 7ii threw it for a loop. Your amp has a different gain structure. You got lucky with the rc-62ii at -12. What sucks is if you leave everything as it is and get the 64ii it will be at -12 but be louder than the 62ii. This is THE problem we have with high efficeny speakers and adding an amp. So what you will have to do to get everything in calibration tolerance is either try xlr's or buy attenuators for your rca's. How did it set your surrounds.

• Like 1

The XPA-3 was a gain of 29 and the 7500 is 28db for RCA's.

Im running only a 3.2 right now. 

I notice the gain on the XLR side is 34db for the Outlaw. You think that will help? I'll admit I am not as knowledgable with understanding gain on these inputs and how it translates.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Actually found a thread on this here from awhile back, here is a good part recommended for 6db

http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-6-db-rca-line-level-audio-attenuator-pair--266-242

Looking at the outlaw RCA (28db) vs XLR (34db), is that the same thing? Would I see a 6db reduction? Like I said, I know jack and ish about amplifier gains in this manner.

Nice looking setup! My Yamaha YPAO set my 7's at 0.5 and my center at 0. . . . and that was WITH the Outlaw 7500. My surrounds (82) got set for 0.5

Must be something with my room and the new gear. I did notice the test tones were louder than I was used to hearing, especially the fronts. or it could be the signal in between the 7702 and 7500.

With the XPA-3, and even the 4520ci, the 82ii's and center were set very close to the same levels. Now, it is definitely a bit different.