RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

Found this review:

"Bought seven of these (one for each channel) so Audyssey would not set all my Klipsch speakers to -12 db. I am using Emotiva Amps."

On this:

https://www.parts-express.com/in-line-xlr-attenuator-pad-10db--240-412

:)

Question is, will the 10db drop the speaker level in audyssey by exactly or close to 10db? Or should I go more like 15 or 20?

Edit: Was able to speak with that buyer. Same speakers as me, just different amp and they worked wonders for his (most of his speakers were -12), so I ordered them from PE.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Id be weary i the quality of those. They are a third of the price of the Harrison labs. And 10db should be plenty. I have 4 of the 12db I don't use at all anymore.

Not sure why the XLRs are cheaper than the RCA's ($9 vs $12 a pc), and Harrison does not make XLR versions. Those PE XLR's are the ones ive seen most recommended so hopefully they work.

Found some useful info from Chris K, with an easy solution. Of course I will try both XLRs and XLRs+attenuators next week with Audyssey, but if you have one or more speakers that is at -12 you just adjust the others to it and reduced master volume that you use.

If speaker A is 79db's at -12, go in and adjust others to 79db's, and then just remember you reference volume is now not 0.0, but -4.0.

Found some useful info from Chris K, with an easy solution. Of course I will try both XLRs and XLRs+attenuators next week with Audyssey, but if you have one or more speakers that is at -12 you just adjust the others to it and reduced master volume that you use.

If speaker A is 79db's at -12, go in and adjust others to 79db's, and then just remember you reference volume is now not 0.0, but -4.0.

that is exactly what I have to do with NO AMP. I am at reference at -4 on the main volume

Gotcha. 

To me, it almost makes more sense to use the built in test tone on the Marantz after running Audyssey (assuming that is the correct method for 75db testing) vs. adding something in line with my XLR cables...

Who cares what the reference volume # is, as long as you know what it is...

Occam's Razor: Choose the simplest solution

Edited by gadgtfreek

I missed this in my correspondence with Audyssey staff

"If an in-line attenuator or gain knob on the amp are not available, the speakers can also be level matched manually using an SPL Meter. Go to the receiver's setup menu for manual speaker configuration and adjust the speaker levels, when the master volume is at 0 (reference) the pink noise should measure 75 dB C weighted slow with the SPL meter at the main listening position. 

Start with the speaker that is playing over reference level and adjust all speaker to match that speaker."

I had too many irons in the fire with too many problems and everything got a little jumbled. Will be curious to see how hot the XLR levels are when I get them in next week (hopefully Wed). From my understanding the sub is a shot in the dark with an SPL meter, so knowing they are set at 75 together, and say I have to go 80db on my other speakers, I then just boost the sub sliders 5db.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Who cares what the reference volume # is, as long as you know what it is...
people like me with ocd! i will probably eventually add some pro amps so i have gain control over each channel so i can calibrate properly. 

That's INSANE!
 rf-7ii = 101db efficiency (more like 97-98) kpt-904 = 104db efficiency (actual efficiency). hard to use almost in a room my size lol. BUT SO WORTH IT!!!!

rf-7ii = 101db efficiency (more like 97-98) kpt-904 = 104db efficiency (actual efficiency). hard to use almost in a room my size lol. BUT SO WORTH IT!!!!

I'd be surprised with a 98 db rating.  Actual measured sensitivity for KL-650's was 92 when measured like everybody else does with home speakers.  Can't see these things being 6 db more efficient than that.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I'd be surprised with a 98 db rating.  Actual measured sensitivity for KL-650's was 92.  Can't see these things being 6 db more efficient than that.  

that could be right as well. never know. 

Isn't the RF7II the one with the ohm dip that is more prominent? Seems I read that one time...

That chart shows it dips down to 3.7 Ohms...That said, I have only heard that the Original RF-7s dipped down to 2.7 Ohms in a couple of frequencies but haven't ever seen the charts--Does anyone have a link to one?

Isn't the RF7II the one with the ohm dip that is more prominent? Seems I read that one time...

That chart shows it dips down to 3.7 Ohms...That said, I have only heard that the Original RF-7s dipped down to 2.7 Ohms in a couple of frequencies but haven't ever seen the charts--Does anyone have a link to one?

Yeah, I just now looked at it. Pretty neat testing.

The RF 83, 63 and most other speakers will dip quiet low.  Spearker impeadace can and is all over the place depending on the source.  The 8 ohm rating is nominal or an average.  Note the dip  for the center and surround below.

Here is Sound & Vision bench test results of the RF 83:

Frequency response (at 2 meters) front left/right: 43 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.2 dB center: 99 Hz to 17.8 kHz ±3.8 dB surround: 117 Hz to 16.6 kHz ±3.9 dB subwoofer: 46 Hz to 108 Hz ±1.9 dB

Sensitivity (SPL at 1 meter with 2.8 volts of pink-noise input) front left/right: 96 dB center: 95 dB surround: 95 dB

Impedance (minimum/nominal) front left/right: 2.8/11 ohms center: 2.8/13 ohms surround: 3.1/5 ohms

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-bench-klipsch-rf-83-home-theater-speaker-system

Edited by derrickdj1

I always recommend an amp with higher quality speakers. I experimented and that's how I knew the difference. More control and better sounding at specific volumes. I'm a big scrappy fan but i do disagree with his amp premise. 7's have twin 10's. gotta have some juice to move them.  If you think about subs and amps, nobody questions that the more powerful amp, the better it reproduces the bass....same should be said with speakers. Most people don't know that what they are listening to is clipping.