RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

I always recommend an amp with higher quality speakers. I experimented and that's how I knew the difference. More control and better sounding at specific volumes. I'm a big scrappy fan but i do disagree with his amp premise. 7's have twin 10's. gotta have some juice to move them.  If you think about subs and amps, nobody questions that the more powerful amp, the better it reproduces the bass....same should be said with speakers. Most people don't know that what they are listening to is clipping. 

What do you mean "most people don't know what they are listening to is clipping?"  Also, did you go to the link?

Most people don't know that what they are listening to is clipping. 

If somebody doesn't know what clipping sounds like they don't need to be buying anything else.  

Here is an interesting thread debating the topic on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1485846-quality-power.html and here is one I started on the subject: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1532635-would-i-benefit-external-amp.html

It's funny you see the same folks in those threads, that you see in other speaker threads and AVR threads at AVS, and they love to tell you how you don't need an amp (especially if you are a Klipsch owner).

In general, the no amp crowd loves to explain to you why you don't need one, even though I have heard differently with my own ears. Where the separates crowd generally doesnt care what the no amp crowd does...

I personally do not think some people can simply get the concept of high volumes, transients and headroom. I've gotten to the point to when I see where it's headed, I stop commenting. It annoys the hell out of me, especially when someone (many times that has NEVER owned an amp) tries to tell me something is wrong, when I know for myself it is right. 

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1

... Where the separates crowd generally doesnt care what the no amp crowd does...

If you are going to keep it simple, this is what I've noticed in those threads...Fwiw, if you are serious about finding out if you really benefit from an external amp one needs to do some level matching tests at the SPL you want to listen...Of course, you could also just purchase an amp and not worry what anyone says--It's your money.

EDIT:

....I personally do not think some people can simply get the concept of high volumes, transients and headroom.

Of course these are the questions that need to be answered! The question one must ask one's self is when does there start to become diminishing returns or no gain.

Edited by tkdamerica

No worries, I really don't care what anyone else thinks, and I don't need tests. My eyes tell a calibrated display looks better than one that isn't, and my ears tell me my system cranked sounds better with an actual amp.

Just like XT32 sounds better than earlier versions of audyssey, which weren't that good IMO!

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 2

No worries, I really don't care what anyone else thinks, and I don't need tests. My eyes tell a calibrated display looks better than one that isn't, and my ears tell me my system cranked sounds better with an actual amp....

Can't argue with that.  Seriously, if you are going to get into Home Theater in a big way you at least owe it to yourself to see how loud you listen to familiar material with an SPL meter--I'll try to dig up an old thread that may be useful and put the link here.

EDIT: Here it is: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148249-how-loud-do-you-listen/?hl=loud

Edited by tkdamerica
  • Like 1

Man, these 7ii's are a piece of work. Very clean, or sterile (in a good way) and throaty. I know I wasnt crossing the 82's at 60hz like these, but there is an obvious difference.Watching the new series Dig and there is good congo type drum music in the background, sounds great.

Can't wait to watch a blu-ray in a bit.

I have an interesting link. This needs to be repeated as I have posted this before. AVS is an anti-power site because they sell most flagship receivers. It's counterproductive to rec an amp. I'll listen to the Prez of an amp company...

who also happens to be an engineer...

Too bad about your experience on AVS. Don't know the whole story, but it seems a little hasty.

I want people to share their experiences and opinions here on the Lounge. I don't care what they talk about product wise. You like another product? Cool. We're not worried. We welcome comparison. If some guys think their AVR is all they need, well that's fine. Maybe it fits their needs and their budget. Some people do not like to feel like their decisions and opinions are being challenged. They get angry and defensive. Maybe that's the core of the issue there... All you have to do here is be civil and respectful... opinionated is fine. No taunting!!

Clearly they have not heard a system with real headroom. Headroom is what having big amps is all about; not playing as loud is you can stand it!

I'm thinking about doing a tech article on this very subject. I'd like to show how a typical "brand X" receiver behaves in a real world situation with typical speakers in an average listen room. You will be amazed to see how quickly you can run out of gas. I can drive an XPA-5 into mild clip quite easily with the right type of program material, so imagine what a receiver that makes less than half of its rated power with all channels drive will do.

Headroom is all about clarity, resolution and maintaining dynamics. You will be amazed at how much more you can hear when your system is not pushed to it's dynamic limits. power wise.

Stand by...

In the meantime, have fun kids!
Cheers,
Big Dan

• Like 2

I have an interesting link. This needs to be repeated as I have posted this before. AVS is an anti-power site because they sell most flagship receivers. It's counterproductive to rec an amp. I'll listen to the Prez of an amp company...

Too bad about your experience on AVS. Don't know the whole story, but it seems a little hasty.

What??? I've had great experiences on AVS and learned alot! I also think you have a skewed opinion of what they are trying to sell given that Emotiva is one of their largest sponsors and they also seem to sell them through AVS. If that's your "link" you will definitely want to revisit your rationale.

Edited by tkdamerica

If you just want pure db's, I can give you my results I took when adding the second sub. This is of course all speakers running, 0.0 (reference volume) on the preamp (Outlaw 7125 was the amp) and checked with my checkmate spl meter at the MLP.

BTW, 0.0 is where I normally listen :)

Bayformers 1, city battle at end: 116.3db(hit 117 on the hwy battle)

Act of Valor Gun Boat: 114.6

Iron Man 2 Final Battle: 116.1

Star Wars Pod Race: 115.8

FYI, when I added the second 15", the numbers increased by 2-3db's, which was expected, but he bass response is soo much better.

Long story short, I do like to crank this baby up.

What??? I've had great experiences on AVS and learned alot! I also think you have a skewed opinion of what they are trying to sell given that Emotiva is one of their largest sponsors and they also seem to sell them through AVS. If that's your "link" you will definitely want to revisit your rationale.

Not really, that was a couple years ago anyway. I don't have to explain myself. It's all there. I am glad you had a great experience over at AVS. From my knowledge, they have let Emo advertise there, however, never took up a partnership. AFWIW, they don't sell Klipsch anymore there.....weird huh. Look, Not trying to argue with anyone, i couldn't care less what people power their system with nor do I care what speakers they have. . . i just don't like people bashing on others purchases. 

• Like 1

Not really, that was a couple years ago anyway. I don't have to explain myself. It's all there. I am glad you had a great experience over at AVS. From my knowledge, they have let Emo advertise there, however, never took up a partnership. AFWIW, they don't sell Klipsch anymore there.....weird huh. Look, Not trying to argue with anyone, i couldn't care less what people power their system with nor do I care what speakers they have. . . i just don't like people bashing on others purchases. 

For the record, no one( at least not I) is bashing anyone's purchases, but this is a forum where folks like to share information...You are correct AVS no longer sells Klipsch speakers but they still have a connection to Emotiva when you go to their sponsor page:

70x70px-LS-c5cc2eaf_avatar_300.jpeg

EmotivaKeith
Insider for Emotiva

AV Science Sales Representative for AVScience

Edited by tkdamerica

Lol, I never said YOU did my friend. . . nor did I point out any one individual. Sometimes things (especially text) can be misconstrued. i was only pointing out that people's decisions are just that...theirs.  No harm no foul. I love this forum, it's one of the best if not THE on the inter_worlds.  Just pointing out that the difference between sponsors and actual partnerships vary immensely. Rock on!    

If you just want pure db's, I can give you my results I took when adding the second sub. This is of course all speakers running, 0.0 (reference volume) on the preamp (Outlaw 7125 was the amp) and checked with my checkmate spl meter at the MLP.

BTW, 0.0 is where I normally listen :)

Bayformers 1, city battle at end: 116.3db(hit 117 on the hwy battle)

Act of Valor Gun Boat: 114.6

Iron Man 2 Final Battle: 116.1

Star Wars Pod Race: 115.8

FYI, when I added the second 15", the numbers increased by 2-3db's, which was expected, but he bass response is soo much better.

Long story short, I do like to crank this baby up.

That's precisely the point! DB's are nothing more than that...now CLEAN db's is where it's at! That's the best summation I can give. Everyone's opinion  will differ. That's why I love and fought for this country! All the best to everyone on here

...  Just pointing out that the difference between sponsors and actual partnerships vary immensely. Rock on!    

Cool--That said, you did say, "I'll listen to the Prez of an amp company" and they would definitely have reason to want you to purchase an amp. Btw, you may want to research what Paul Klipsch thought about the subject since we are on his namesakes site.

Edited by tkdamerica