RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

That's precisely the point! DB's are nothing more than that...now CLEAN db's is where it's at! That's the best summation I can give. Everyone's opinion  will differ.

Honestly, this brings us back to your original point about recognizing clipping-- at loud levels it IS noticeable and very fatiguing.

Btw, I only brought up Paul Klipsch and his philosophy is because it is relevant to this conversation. Again, what you personally own is of no concern to me but am happy you enjoy it. :)  {Note: I have nothing else to add on this topic.}

Edited by tkdamerica

Long story short, I do like to crank this baby up.

Hell yeah crank them suckers up. Thats why we bought em. :D  I must be in the minority as I listen loud, to both music and HT. As all of our hearing varies based on age, damage, abuse , genetics, or whatever, so for me, its hard to say I listen at a certain db consistently. It varies from source to source, song to song. 

To me the headroom is the safety net. No such thing as too much headroom and too much spare change!

• Like 2

And if anybody is crazy enough to drive these speakers to high distortion/clipping, they deserve what they get. I just cant imagine anybody spending that kind of money on these speakers only to feed them with chitty receivers. Even the mid level AVR would get these speakers to crazy db's. So I guess if someone uses a low end, low power receiver it could happen but maybe that same person would run around in a lightning storm with a long metal pole in his hand raised high above his head and help thin the herd! :ph34r:  

• Like 1

And if anybody is crazy enough to drive these speakers to high distortion/clipping, they deserve what they get. I just cant imagine anybody spending that kind of money on these speakers only to feed them with chitty receivers. Even the mid level AVR would get these speakers to crazy db's. So I guess if someone uses a low end, low power receiver it could happen but maybe that same person would run around in a lightning storm with a long metal pole in his hand raised high above his head and help thin the herd! :ph34r:  

I can tell you exactly how to clip like crazy with a $2,000 Marantz SR-7009, crossed over at 60 hz, at -10 db.  Basically you mimic those settings and watch "One" on the Metallica movie.  Scrappy was at my house when it happened.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I agree with the above.

What I have surmised from the links provided is that the RF-7/RF-7 Classic/RF-7II (and probably the accompanying center channels)  are more like 4 Ohm speakers with a sensitivity of 96 dB/1watt/1 meter and the important factor is the ability to drive 4 Ohm speakers at loud SPL --Even at 96 dB--it's still considered 'a sensitive speaker' and it's the current  one needs to be concerned with as not to clip at higher SPL (i.e., have sufficient headroom for peaks)....

Edited by tkdamerica
  • Like 1

What kind of kit is that in your pic? I play too

Pearl Export with 6 toms and 2 bass drums. I still have a hard time keeping that double bass going!!

Dang Metro, I didnt realize they would clip like that. Of course, thats some serious DB so I take that back, I aint the only one who listens loud.  :D How much power does the 7009 have? And kind of a different scenario. I was mostly talking about low level receivers which that Marantz certainly isnt. 

Edited by mxr dad

So when that clipping was happening, was it noticeable right away? And real easy to tell? The best way I could describe it is like when I was a teenager and didnt know better  (or care) and just turned the volume all the way up, was it like that king of clipping? Like the speakers sounded like a garbage disposal? 

Dang Metro, I didnt realize they would clip like that. Of course, thats some serious DB so I take that back, I aint the only one who listens loud.  :D How much power does the 7009 have? And kind of a different scenario. I was mostly talking about low level receivers which that Marantz certainly isnt. 

They claim probably 125 watts but that's two channels driven.  Drive 5 channels and have explosions going off while Lars is banging on the toms and have it push frequencies that hover around the big impedance dip that RF-7ii's have in the low midbass or upper subwoofer realm and it struggles.  

So when that clipping was happening, was it noticeable right away? And real easy to tell? The best way I could describe it is like when I was a teenager and didnt know better  (or care) and just turned the volume all the way up, was it like that king of clipping? Like the speakers sounded like a garbage disposal? 

I can't describe it, it's not the speakers doing anything mechanical like subs bottoming out.  It's more of a weird muffled sound and distortion like there's no more gas in the tank, stuff just starts sounding weird and strained and the dynamics are killed.  I can notice at least fairly flagrant instances easily but I've pushed a ton of amps to their physical limits in car audio so I know what it sounds like once you've crossed that line plus I've watched that movie dozens of times.  I'm not sure if just anybody would notice it.  

I actually previously mentioned what happened to scrappy before and he didn't know what I was talking about even though he was there.  At the time I felt it was so obvious I was embarassed and got up and turned the volume down and he didn't remember it.  So I don't know if other people would pick it up or not.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I tell you what, Metallica Pour Une Nuit cranked with the Outlaw 7125 was great, it'll be one that gets blasted here soon with the 7ii's and 7500.

Just watched the horror flick Babadook. Lotta quiet scenes with doors closing and slams, and the 7ii's def have some authority running at 60hz. You can easily tell their horns have more *** than the 62ii's, even though they are level matched.

Edited by gadgtfreek

I know what kind of distortion your talking about, at least I think I do. I havent experienced it yet with the 7ii thank goodness but I have heard that sound before. Thats why I asked so I could look out for it. 

OK. Next weekend will be Metallica Pour. 

Gadgt, glad to see ya get all the gear setup. That was quite the adventure. Wrong speaker, no power cord, etc. I have mine crossed over at 60 as well and like it. I still change to 80 every now and then just to see, but always seem to go back to 60.

Edited by mxr dad