RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

Yep, it is the sign and only gets better. I find I like the fronts toed outwards to open the sound stage. I know some prefer toe-in but I can hear the 7ii just fine toe-out. They dont need to be aimed at the main listening area in my room. Of course, mileage may vary.

It should be noted that many higher level avr's have enough power to drive RF 7's.  My SC 35 rated 140 w/ch can swing up to 270 watts for transients.  I have a 200 watt power amp which realistically is not much more power. 

1watt @ 1 meter =100 db for RF 7

10 watt =110 db

100 watt = 120 db

1000 watt = 130 db and busted driver, lol.

You loose around 10 db at an average listening distance of 10 ft.

An amp that can handle transient passages is the key for driving speakers.  The difference between 100 and 200 watts is around 2.5 db.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

It should be noted that many higher level avr's have enough power to drive RF 7's. My SC 35 rated 140 w/ch can swing up to 270 watts for transients. I have a 200 watt power amp which realistically is not much more power.

1watt @ 1 meter =100 db for RF 7

10 watt =110 db

100 watt = 120 db

1000 watt = 130 db and busted driver, lol.

You loose around 10 db at an average listening distance of 10 ft.

An amp that can handle transient passages is the key for driving speakers. The difference between 100 and 200 watts is around 2.5 db.

yeah that's what they make cinema speakers for! The real MAN Klipsch speakers. Lol. One day derrick. Your gonna get them cause your just gonna have to know if they are really that damn good.
  • Like 2

It's funny you see the same folks in those threads, that you see in other speaker threads and AVR threads at AVS, and they love to tell you how you don't need an amp (especially if you are a Klipsch owner).

In general, the no amp crowd loves to explain to you why you don't need one, even though I have heard differently with my own ears. Where the separates crowd generally doesnt care what the no amp crowd does...

I personally do not think some people can simply get the concept of high volumes, transients and headroom. I've gotten to the point to when I see where it's headed, I stop commenting. It annoys the hell out of me, especially when someone (many times that has NEVER owned an amp) tries to tell me something is wrong, when I know for myself it is right. 

Yea and there is many others who have gotten rid of their external amps with high efficiency speakers and said they noticed no different at reference volumes with flagship AVR's so whose to believe but your own ears. Obviously everyones EARS and ROOMS are different. I'm still at a standstill with my 4520. I'm hitting 115'dbs clean at reference in a 1900 cu ft room running a 5.1. Do I really need an external amp? I'm still contemplating whether I could spend the 1000.00 somewhere else or just try a amp. I just got done listening to a friend who has three RF7II's for his front three running an Emotiva XPA-5. Quite frankly I thought my rig sounded better with just a 4520. Then again maybe it's just the Denon sound which I prefer? Not sure

I'm still at a standstill with my 4520. I'm hitting 115'dbs clean at reference in a 1900 cu ft room running a 5.1. Do I really need an external amp?

In that size room, most likely not.  Now if your room was pushing 6000ft3(19W x 28L x 11H) like my family room/kitchen/nook, and sitting more than 10 feet away from screen, then I would suggest definitely yes to an outboard amp.

I'm still contemplating whether I could spend the 1000.00 somewhere else or just try a amp.

You definitely do not have to spend anywhere near $1000.00 to get a quality outboard multichannel amp.

I just got done listening to a friend who has three RF7II's for his front three running an Emotiva XPA-5. Quite frankly I thought my rig sounded better with just a 4520. Then again maybe it's just the Denon sound which I prefer? Not sure

Could be the room or the Denon as you said. 

Bill

• Like 1

It's funny you see the same folks in those threads, that you see in other speaker threads and AVR threads at AVS, and they love to tell you how you don't need an amp (especially if you are a Klipsch owner).

In general, the no amp crowd loves to explain to you why you don't need one, even though I have heard differently with my own ears. Where the separates crowd generally doesnt care what the no amp crowd does...

I personally do not think some people can simply get the concept of high volumes, transients and headroom. I've gotten to the point to when I see where it's headed, I stop commenting. It annoys the hell out of me, especially when someone (many times that has NEVER owned an amp) tries to tell me something is wrong, when I know for myself it is right.

Yea and there is many others who have gotten rid of their external amps with high efficiency speakers and said they noticed no different at reference volumes with flagship AVR's so whose to believe but your own ears. Obviously everyones EARS and ROOMS are different. I'm still at a standstill with my 4520. I'm hitting 115'dbs clean at reference in a 1900 cu ft room running a 5.1. Do I really need an external amp? I'm still contemplating whether I could spend the 1000.00 somewhere else or just try a amp. I just got done listening to a friend who has three RF7II's for his front three running an Emotiva XPA-5. Quite frankly I thought my rig sounded better with just a 4520. Then again maybe it's just the Denon sound which I prefer? Not sure
well said!

I agree, but...

Those usual suspects are not willing to budge on their theory, they just tell you that your speakers are efficient and you don't need amp, where as I never go around and tell someone they must have an amp to enjoy their setup. It depends on speakers, room and listening volumes. What happens in my backyard does not necessarily happen all over the world, but you can't tell them that. They just throw wattage/spl calculators at you...

They just wanna tell me I could have saved money and bought an AVR. I have never seen a larger group of anti amp people than those at AVS forum. A lot of smart posters (post history) agree in separates, but they choose to avoid the conflict but will gladly discuss their experiences via PM/email.

Edited by gadgtfreek

I agree, but...

Those usual suspects are not willing to budge on their theory, they just tell you that your speakers are efficient and you don't need amp, where as I never go around and tell someone they must have an amp to enjoy their setup.

For a guy who doesn't want to discuss it and doesn't care about what anyone says on the subject, I suggest joining in one of those linked threads if you do or provide a link of your own---Fwiw, you are new on here and seem to be very excited purchasing all of your nice gear--Thanks for sharing, but don't disparage others who post thoughts different than yours...{Note: It also appears you are learning from them as well.}

EDIT: Btw, I don't see anyone telling you "they don't care to hear any of that though, they just wanna tell me I could have saved money and bought an AVR." It appears you are reading that into their comments.

Edited by tkdamerica

I haven't disparaged anyone. I just have no problem pointing out a certain hypocrisy in the popular opinion. 

And I only commented to say I agreed with Coleman as well, his. The issue is that many folks do not seem to think that way. Everyone's setup is different, what works for one, may not work for the other. I've been around AVS off and on since 2006. There are "usual suspects" in audio threads as well as video threads. Just the way it is.

His comment:

so whose to believe but your own ears. Obviously everyones EARS and ROOMS are different.

was spot on.

I haven't disparaged anyone. I just have no problem pointing out a certain hypocrisy in the popular opinion. 

... There are "usual suspects" in audio threads as well as video threads. Just the way it is.

...And you my friend are one of the "usual suspects" along with the others and the hypocrisy on your part is if you want to debate the subject post on one of those linked threads instead of acting like others are the hypocrite. I truly don't want to debate the subject here and will gladly on the threads mentioned. :)  Seriously, no one is telling you to purchase an AVR over what you have--They are advising others that you don't need an external amp to get the best out of RF-7s.

I agree, but...

Those usual suspects are not willing to budge on their theory, they just tell you that your speakers are efficient and you don't need amp,

BTW, I took pictures of my setup to Hope, Arkansas and the person I spoke with who convinced me I didn't need an amp in my situation was Roy Delgado. As also mentioned-YMMV.

Edited by tkdamerica

You definitely do not have to spend anywhere near $1000.00 to get a quality outboard multichannel amp.

Could be the room or the Denon as you said. 

Bill

One of the benefits of having external amps is that you only need to upgrade the processor when new formats come out--That said, I purchased the Denon AVR-4311ci when it became discontinued (and had a proven good track record) for $1200 bucks...I have no opinion on the Denon AVR-4520ci, it's successor but have seen that unit go for less than $1000 in  the last few weeks and with a 3 to 4 year warranty period that seems like a steal!

Back in the day external amps did make some sense, but with these upper end units coming down in price, along with having a great EQ program and easy setup (once research is done) it does give one other alternatives...

Edited by tkdamerica

To amp  or not to amp is a personal choice.  I like power amps and the look of the system with the amp.  This is my main reason for having them.  I have said in many post over the last year that I may not need it.  All of our systems have a signature look that pleases us.  Ain't no way I am going out and spending mega bucks on an amp, lol.   I have even brought stuff just to try out with no intention of keeping it.

Edited by derrickdj1

One of the benefits of having external amps is that you only need to upgrade the processor when new formats come out

Everybody keeps saying this but it kind of depends on what kind of quality and brand you are going for. Case in point, in terms of MSRP, the cheapest preamp Marantz has is $2,000. You could get a flagship Marantz SR-7009 receiver for the same price. You wouldn't really save anything. Comparing top of the line flagship offerings, you'd be out twice as much for a preamp, their next step up is 4 grand.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Robert Plant can still deliver, wow. Like Sammy Hagar, he can still belt them notes out. I likes me some Pink Floyd Pulse too. I need to see if I can find Pulse on BD. 

Give David Gilmour - Remember the night - Live at the Royal Albert Hall, in Blu Ray a shot.

Fantastic!

TONS of great Floyd tunes, and of course before the keyboardist passed away recently so its kind of special. One of my go to Blu rays.

Edited by Woodekk

Probable biggest concern in terms of driving RF-7ii's with a standard 8 ohm receiver... a couple of funk nasty impedance dips in the bass and midbass regions.  Otherwise it is more or less a non-issue in terms of everything else.  It's not like you'd be able to tell the difference in terms of sound quality on the midrange at normal or even pretty loud volumes.  Only time I've ever noticed any shortcoming was on very loud very full material.  

Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Impedence%252

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

In post # 1419 I posted some RF 83 HT data and the impedance dip of the center and surrounds were just as low as the RF 83 and RF 7's.  I would venture to say all the speakers go thru large impedance swings for the most part, mains, center,  and surrounds.

• Like 1