RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

One of the benefits of having external amps is that you only need to upgrade the processor when new formats come out

Everybody keeps saying this but it kind of depends on what kind of quality and brand you are going for. Case in point, in terms of MSRP, the cheapest preamp Marantz has is $2,000. You could get a flagship Marantz SR-7009 receiver for the same price. You wouldn't really save anything. Comparing top of the line flagship offerings, you'd be out twice as much for a preamp, their next step up is 4 grand.

Yepp, I'm onto it for $3500 with amp/preamp. New preamp in 2 years or so, another $2000 likely. Sure, there are cheaper models (Emotiva), but I like XT32.

All of our systems have a signature look that pleases us.

Like I've said before, everybody likes the smell of their own farts. ;)

I'm actually struggling with this myself though, as shallow as it is. My subs and amp just isn't very pretty. If I had an amp that sounded the same but looked like a futuristic stealth fighter, I'm sure I'd be singing its praises much more.

Amps are about the ugliest thing in a setup, unless it is a Mcintosh... Where as, other than the 7II's, the AV7702 is the prettiest thing.

Anybody spending the coin to get a Marantz preamp ought to just get a Marantz amp, visually they match and looks incredible together.

I don't care at all for McIntosh looks. I prefer industrial looking Krell. But can't/wont spend that kind of money. I'm fine with Emotiva & hope when I make a purchase I hear a difference. If not, the 'look' of the amps in a built in AV rack will still be money well spent for me :)

I honestly think Emotiva does a great job with their styling.

Just my findings/suggestions on the amp topic. Take subs out of the equation, strictly 2 ch. Play some dubstep(I know it wont appeal to everyone but show me something with more bass). Raise the tone control or eq around the 40-60hz range around 2-4db. Crank it to reference and above. That right there will show the difference between a low to mid receiver and a good power amp. Now do you NEED that or WANT that? I personally am happy I have that.

Love Skrillex!

Buddy sent me the Daft Punk Tron Legacy soundtrack (CD) to test the new towers, which I will do this week. Said it's way better than the blu-ray soundtrack in the movie and will really rock.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Just my findings/suggestions on the amp topic. Take subs out of the equation, strictly 2 ch. Play some dubstep(I know it wont appeal to everyone but show me something with more bass). Raise the tone control or eq around the 40-60hz range around 2-4db. Crank it to reference and above. That right there will show the difference between a low to mid receiver and a good power amp. Now do you NEED that or WANT that? I personally am happy I have that.

Scrappy has a youtube video of some electronic drums whose kick drum sounds ridiculous with RF-7ii's. However, they sound ridiculous even with my receiver, I've had it up to +5 with no subs on. That's just on the receiver and not using an SPL meter. Point is, single frequency bass notes especially in the upper subwoofer realm isn't a very good example of why a external amp is needed. Transients and dynamics is what really shines with an amp, not dubstep. I can flex my woofers enough that I'm scared for their life with just a receiver, that doesn't really prove or disprove anything.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I guess I got lucky. I got my amp and pre for around the same of the cost of a Marantz 7009. . . .actually less. People always pay attention to how many watts a sub amp has (usually the more the better) ......speaker amps not so much it seems. 

What kind of kit is that in your pic? I play too

Pearl Export with 6 toms and 2 bass drums. I still have a hard time keeping that double bass going!!

Dang Metro, I didnt realize they would clip like that. Of course, thats some serious DB so I take that back, I aint the only one who listens loud.  :D How much power does the 7009 have? And kind of a different scenario. I was mostly talking about low level receivers which that Marantz certainly isnt. 

COOL! Pearl guy here too. Just bought a Pearl masters premium birch kit. Love it! 

Scrappy has a youtube video of some electronic drums whose kick drum sounds ridiculous with RF-7ii's. However, they sound ridiculous even with my receiver, I've had it up to +5 with no subs on. That's just on the receiver and not using an SPL meter. Point is, single frequency bass notes especially in the upper subwoofer realm isn't a very good example of why a external amp is needed. Transients and dynamics is what really shines with an amp, not dubstep. I can flex my woofers enough that I'm scared for their life with just a receiver, that doesn't really prove or disprove anything.
Once again my findings were different. Both my 90wpc receiver and my 50wpc integrated hardly moved the woofers and started to distort approaching reference. My amc amp and 2 NAD amps move a lot of woofer and do not break up. Just reporting on what works in my room with my gear.