RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

I guess I got lucky. I got my amp and pre for around the same of the cost of a Marantz 7009. . . .actually less. People always pay attention to how many watts a sub amp has (usually the more the better) ......speaker amps not so much it seems.

Oops, seems I was too late lol

Why does no-one debate that a 100w subwoofer amp is enough and a 600w subwoofer amp is not needed?

Depends on what you're running. I've hit 134 db with two 12's in a car with a 40 watt amp. :)

Watts alone isn't the whole story. Typically at normal listening levels we are all only sending a fraction of a watt to our mains. It's mostly only during peaks/transients/dynamics where it really makes much difference. Everybody likes watts though, nobody talks about large capacitors or a toroidal transformer that is big enough to power Ironman.

Why does no-one debate that a 100w subwoofer amp is enough and a 600w subwoofer amp is not needed?

Depends on what you're running. I've hit 134 db with two 12's in a car with a 40 watt amp. :)

Watts alone isn't the whole story. Typically at normal listening levels we are all only sending a fraction of a watt to our mains. It's mostly only during peaks/transients/dynamics where it really makes much difference. Everybody likes watts though, nobody talks about large capacitors or a toroidal transformer that is big enough to power Ironman.

My amps are 'only' 150wpc. They are over twice as heavy as my receiver and all have substantial sized toroidal transformers.
  • Like 1

That's easy.

Most 100w subwoofer amps are mated to very inefficient drivers attached to inexpensive(cheap) cabinets.

Bill

Just my findings/suggestions on the amp topic. Take subs out of the equation, strictly 2 ch. Play some dubstep(I know it wont appeal to everyone but show me something with more bass). Raise the tone control or eq around the 40-60hz range around 2-4db. Crank it to reference and above. That right there will show the difference between a low to mid receiver and a good power amp. Now do you NEED that or WANT that? I personally am happy I have that.

funny you say this. Because this is the kind of stuff an amp isn't needed. Avr's put out great numbers at 2 channels driven. It's when 7 channels are going when it's tough. I have not problem telling the story of when I decided to take my RF-63's to a friends house and run them full range with an xpa-3 at 200 per channel and full range on a 20 watt per channel lepai amp. When level matched we listened at crazy volumes to all kinds of music and no one in the room could pick the emotiva and the lepai apart. Take it for what's it's worth. I'll spend the extra money on MORE BASS!!!
  • Like 1

because your talking 80hz and below and that is where all the power goes. No need to argue. My 4 18's will suck up everything my inuke 6000 has to offer. But some rf-7's would maybe light up two of the lights when cut off at 80 hz. But it would take a lot.

When I added my first amp to my RF-63 rig, I exhaustively AB tested in 2-channel with just my Onkyo TX-SR705 and then with the Onkyo and 200w/ch B&K together.  It was no contest at all.  The Onkyo/B&K combo slaughtered just the Onkyo in every category.  Bass drive, midrange resolution, extended highs, soundstage were all improved considerably.  My family room is pushing 6000ft3 so the headroom was needed for full coverage anywhere in the room.

Bill

• Like 1

Why use pure? It has the least bass and no room correction.  Some you must have perfect rooms, lol. :D

Agreed. Pure to me sounds horrible in my experience (at least vs some room eq).  

So there is no artificial boost to the low bass and midbass frequencies would be my take.

I have to agree about pure direct sounding not so good.  Kind of too flat and lifeless.

Bill

Im sure pure direct would sound a lot better in the same studio it was recorded (with all the same gear and room). Plus taste of what a person thinks sounds good is a huge part of good sound. And considering are ears are different just like the rooms and set ups we all have makes it ever more complex. 

• Like 1

Just my findings/suggestions on the amp topic. Take subs out of the equation, strictly 2 ch. Play some dubstep(I know it wont appeal to everyone but show me something with more bass). Raise the tone control or eq around the 40-60hz range around 2-4db. Crank it to reference and above. That right there will show the difference between a low to mid receiver and a good power amp. Now do you NEED that or WANT that? I personally am happy I have that.

Instead of dub step- this has more bass, and the low rumble visceral stuff:

Pete Belasco - Deeper

Instead of dub step- this has more bass, and the low rumble visceral stuff:

Pete Belasco - Deeper

Have no idea wha that is lol will check it out when I get home, 2.0 then 2.1