RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

Pure direct doesnt work for me. Direct mode using .1 channel brings the 7ii to life. I enjoy the music using 2.1 much better. And, in my house, there are basically 2 listening scenarios. The first is when the wife and/or kids and I are watching a movie. I assure you, any mid level AVR could  easily handle that load. Now when we have a "Boys Night Out" and the buddies come over, needless to say that is where I appreciate the Amp. It gives me a little peace of mind knowing the amp is not going to bottom out as fast as the AVR. I agree with Scrappy, its when 7 channels driven at same time is when stuff can hit the fan!

I agree with Scrappy, its when 7 channels driven at same time is when stuff can hit the fan!
yeah the first time i had these particular AVS guys over they asked what i like about my xpa-2 and xpa-5. they asked me to do a blind test on 2 channel against my xpa-2 and onkyo. went back and forth a bunch and i couldn't tell apart. they asked me to just pick which one i thought might have the edge. i picked the onkyo. i felt stupid. almost. then after attending an amp showdown we couldn't tell between the xpa 3 and the lepai on my 63's running full range. the only one that was apparently crappy was a HTIB receiver. it sucked. however i know for a fact i used to demo stuff all the time in cali for people when i had my amps and never heard distortion. however when i was about out and was packing i packed non essentials ( LOL AMPS but left theater up till the day i was leaving. LOL) but i demoed the explosion scene out of ghost protocol and it sounded terrible. i was embarrassed and i put two and two together and figured that had to be the amp.  

yeah the first time i had these particular AVS guys over they asked what i like about my xpa-2 and xpa-5. they asked me to do a blind test on 2 channel against my xpa-2 and onkyo. went back and forth a bunch and i couldn't tell apart. they asked me to just pick which one i thought might have the edge. i picked the onkyo. i felt stupid.

Which Onkyo were you using?

Did you ever try any other amps besides Emotiva and Lepai in these tests?

Bill 

Pure direct sounds great on my system. I think direct 2.1 sound so unnatural on MY system. Scrappy, I am sure the 63's did great on an AVR. I am willing to make a bet that if you put an amp on your Palladiums, you would be able to tell a big difference. 

• Like 1

Scrappy, I am sure the 63's did great on an AVR.

If it was his way overbuilt 805 driving the 63's, I bet they sounded great with plenty of punch and detail.

I am willing to make a bet that if you put an amp on your Palladiums, you would be able to tell a big difference. 

A high current Anthem P2 or an Aragon 8008 should do the trick. :D

Bill 

Edited by willland

the palladiums may get an amp one day but for now at my listening levels i think I'm just gonna grab a xt-32 equipped x4000. then i can add an amp later if i want. but if i want to get really crazy ill head down the stairs to the business end of the house. 

• Like 1

P-37F Floorstanding Speaker

SENSITIVITY:

96dB @ 2.83V / 1m

POWER HANDLING: 275W continuous / 1100W peak

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 4 ohms

RECOMMENDED AMPLIFIER POWER: 50 - 600W

I guarantee those babies want tha bidness.

I'm sure they were talking about tube amps on the lower end spectrum

it was the 805.  

No surprises with your results.

Your 50.9lbs 805 driving your 63's is a completely different animal than my 28.4lbs 705 driving my 63's in my almost 6000ft3 room.  

Bill

Edited by willland

it was the 805.

No surprises with your results.

Your 50.9lbs 805 driving your 63's is a completely different animal than my 28.4lbs 705 driving my 63's in my almost 6000ft3 room.

Bill

Thats what I have, onkyo 705. Still use it as pre/pro. My 150wpc NAD weighs over twice the weight of the 90wpc receiver. I haven't wasted my time trying the 83s on it.(receiver)
  • Like 1

That was a good read & nice to see a shout out to his memory of the RF-7.

A couple notable things stood out.

* The size of the original RF-7 wasn't "wife friendly".

* Yet, he placed the larger RF-7 ll's...  6-feet from the back wall. How wife friendly is that? (or real world practical) 

*  He found that even his 230Wpc bridged Burson was found lacking (when pushing) compared to bridged Hegel H30 @ 1100Wpc

* No mention if "Rammstein" was wife friendly (lol)

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

That was a good read & nice to see a shout out to his memory of the RF-7.

A couple notable things stood out.

* The size of the original RF-7 wasn't "wife friendly".

* Yet, he placed the larger RF-7 ll's...  6-feet from the back wall. How wife friendly is that? (or real world practical) 

*  He found that even his 230Wpc bridged Burson was found lacking (when pushing) compared to bridged Hegel H30 @ 1100Wpc

* No mention if "Rammstein" was wife friendly (lol)

Not exactly what he said....but I get it

Edited by AaronH