RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

I got rid of the TV stand and replaced it with a Middle Atlantic Essex RCS-2724 rack with fans. It is placed in the back of the room to: a) eliminate distracting lights in the front of the room, remove all wires, clutter and audio equipment from under the screen, and c) allow all HDMI connections to decrease from 50' to under 5' (since the Epson projector is in the back of the room). The Denon AVR-X5200W is now connected to my Asus router using Vandesail CAT 7 high-speed twisted pair copper wires. The Optimum cable box and Modem are connected to the wall using Mediabridge Ultra series coaxial cables. The PS4, Amazon FireTV, Optimum cable box and Epson projector are connected to the Denon using Mediabridge Ultra series HDMI cables.

I had an electrician re-wire the room for a 200amp meter upgrade panel and 5 dedicated 20amp circuits (1 for each of my PSA V3600i subs, 2 for my ATI AT6005 amp and 1 for my ATI AT4006 amp). Both of my Morris Kessler Signature Series amps are placed on heavy duty telescopic shelves.

56_zpsaj6uisdf.jpg

57_zpssbywlrgs.jpg

I used a variety of cable management solutions in the room including: a) Legrand cable raceways, split loom tubing, c) Velcro one-wrap thin self-gripping cable ties and d) Gaffer Power professional premium grade tape. I also built a custom platform in front of the main entrance to the room, so all wires coming from the left side of the room to the AV rack would remain separated and hidden. I used Velcro industrial strength strips to secure the platform to the floor to provide cushioning and to allow the platform to easily be lifted in case I need to access the wires in the future.

51_zps1nuhaldf.jpg

52_zpsh5hkkvxq.jpg

Much more still to come including: 1) room acoustics, 2) audio calibration using Audyssey and manual adjustments and 3) video calibration. As previously mentioned a few room acoustic basics already incorporated in the room include: a) recliners equidistant between the side walls, several feet from the rear wall and equal distance from the screen to the front main speakers, window is covered by thermal insulated blackout curtain to contain all light and prevent sound from reflecting off the glass, c) rug to absorb and prevent reflections from the floor, d) 5' tall bookshelves on both side walls, e) the use of Audyssey room correction software, etc etc.

Today, I will be wrapping Auralex acoustics ISO Series MoPad-XL monitor acoustic isolation pads in black (I don't know why they only come in grey). These pads will angle all 6 RB-81 II bookshelf speakers downward toward the listening position as well as improve the sound by decreasing resonance.

• 1 month later...

Wow! Very happy to see this thread still going strong! I chimed in 5 years ago when I got my 7s...and as you can see I haven't had any activity on this forum since then. LOL! I still love my system and it still impresses anyone that comes over. I may eventually go Heritage but the 7s are still sounding great and making me smile from ear to ear whenever I buy a new Blu-Ray. I do want to upgrade soon though. To a 4k projector to replace my current one, a receiver capable of decoding Dolby Atmos and adding 4 of the Klipsch Atmos speakers and upgrading to a borderless screen. Of course none of those are necessities but I love the look of the borderless screens and of course Atmos has impressed me at my local theater. I really hate that the theaters make us choose. 3d OR Atmos. Not both. Of course I choose the sound everytime but I love 3d as well and have the setup at home for it already. Nonetheless new owners and potential new owners. If you're wondering if you made the right decision or wondering if you should pull the trigger then stop thinking about it. These speakers are totally worth it and will satisfy you for a very long time. They may even make you go on a 5 year hiatus like me! Lol. Spend the time and money getting it perfect now and you won't have to worry about it for years and years. Your hearing will give out well before these speakers do! Lol enjoy your setups everyone!

• Like 3

I've been neglecting my audio set up for a long time. Just bought R-7 II's, Denon 4200 and RC-64 II. They sounded great out of the box. After setting everything up and calibrating to the room I'm absolutely blown away. I know there are more expensive, bigger and louder but WOW! Now I'm waiting for second set of R-7's for rear, XPA-5 and 2 R-155 subs. I can't wait to get them next week!

I can't even begin to say how impressed I am with 125 watts going to them (if you believe Denon). I can only imagine how they'll sound with the XPA-5 pushing them. Man, I though my car addiction was expensive. I know where all my extra money will be going from now on.

Darkside of the Moon in its entirety was my first listening choice. Seen them live and it sounds better in my basement!

I can't even begin to say how impressed I am with 125 watts going to them (if you believe Denon).

The problem is that with several channels driven, that 125 watts is likely turning into less than half of that, and there's a couple of impedance dips that might cause you grief.  Biggest one is around 160-170 hz I believe, but if you cross over low, there's another around 40 hz or so.  Just real hard to drive this at high levels with a receiver.  On most material with sane volume levels you won't notice anything.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Got my r-115's, rear R-7 II's and XPA-5 today. Took longer to get the settings right on the AVR than it did to set up the subs and XPA-5. Didn't even bother to set up the rears, just listened to 2 channel with subs. Amazing difference with the extra power and subs. The music feels like it has so many more layers.

Cross over set at 60hz right now for 2 channel. I'm a true novice and would love some suggestions at to crossover ranges and LFE as well.

Feels like I'm hearing all my favorite music for the first time.

• Like 1

I've also got an rc-64ii but my TV is too big to fit on it, so I'm using my RP-450c.

Huh? :unsure:

How can the TV be too big to fit on the RC-64II but not too big to fit on the RP-450C? 

My TV is not too big to fit on my RC-64.

Bill

post-24680-0-00320000-1461791080_thumb.j

Edited by willland

Really? I would not have thought that.

Sorry to doubt your statement you. :blush2:

Bill

No problem at all. I wouldn't have thought the 450 had more depth either.

Time for a little DIY shelf the length of the console and matching paint. Klipschsters don't let little things stop us!

No, we don't...but we do like to keep the wives happy. [emoji6]

Really? I would not have thought that.

Sorry to doubt your statement you. :blush2:

Bill

No problem at all. I wouldn't have thought the 450 had more depth either.

Time for a little DIY shelf the length of the console and matching paint. Klipschsters don't let little things stop us!

No, we don't...but we do like to keep the wives happy. [emoji6]
if your wife likes the cheap vinyl fake looking veneer over the real wood veneer on the 64ii then she just has bad taste. Build a small nice looking shelf and put the matching speaker in there.

if your wife likes the cheap vinyl fake looking veneer over the real wood veneer on the 64ii then she just has bad taste. Build a small nice looking shelf and put the matching speaker in there

It's not the look that's the issue...it's more work/money/things needing to be in the room to accommodate it. I've also run out my quota of gear swapping for a while.