Yamaha and klipsch........a good mix?

Hello, I am just getting into this HT experience. I bought a Yamaha RXA1000 and Have slowly been building the system. My fronts are RF-82 and rears are Polk RT-16 with a temporary RC-52 II as a center, and I can't forget to mention the paradigm ps-1000 sub. I know my center is way small and not a good match for the 82's. I have been doing some research and there seems to be a lot of people saying the Yamaha sound and klipsch do not mate well. I am not real satisfied with sound quality even listening to music on 2 channel (just the 82's) Seems my old Polks have a fuller richer sound (more in the midrange as well). Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to tweak my RXA1000 to better match the Klipsch ? I am a long time fan of both brands and years ago I had a pair of forte's which I loved (powered by a forgotten Yamaha receiver). Due to size I bought the RF-82. I am not real familiar to the RXA1000 but my audio guy said it was leaps and bounds ahead of my old rxv557.

I love my receiver and was wondering if indeed it was the problem (if after I figure out I can not tweak it to my tastes) can I add a different amp or something to power the Klipsch? What would I need? My room size is 23x13 on carpet Sorry for writing a book here just wanted to give lots of info. Thanks

• 6 months later...

I kind of have the same dilema you have just in a less expensive pkge. The avr I went w/ is a Yamaha RX V665 w/ a set of Klipsch 500 smalls w/ a 8in pwrd sub. At first blush I did like the sound of the klipschs over both Polk and Kef smalls .That being said I'm so not impressed w/ the h/t experience that I went back into 2-chl gear. I've called Yamaha asked for advice and from some forumites and no one has a definitive answer for me. I get no surround effects and it seems all my setting are right so I still to this day have no idea what the f is going on. On a friends system I clearly heard the effects that h/t is known for ie;choppers coming into swarm you and cannon shots and all else . so if anyone has some kind of suggestion I'll be glad to listen.I've done the YPOA set and all spkrs are set to small the sub is at 80hz and a little higher at that but still a movie like I-BOTshould come across a lot better than what it is.For full transparency I do not use a bluray player but this should add to more visually and still I have audio suckyness.

There are a few things that I can think of that may help. You haven't mentioned anything about speaker placement.How do you have them placed in your room? Are they placed on stands or on furniture/the floor? What is the size of your room? When you say you get no surround effects is this with certain movies or with all of them? If I'm not mistaken, your receiver is a 7.2 channel unit. Have you confirmed that your surrounds are connected to surround left and right rather than surround back? The Klipsch 500 is a 5.1 package, so if you are running 5.1 with the surrounds connected to surround back, you wouldn't get sound from the surrounds.Are you getting sound through the fronts, sub, and center appropriately? You may also want to research the YPAO setup and confirm that you are

doing the setup properly. I have a Pioneer with MCACC and after

researching a bit, I found that I'd missed a few steps. I'd also

recommend using a tripod to place the mic on during the setup. The mic

should be placed in the sitting position at about ear height. I'm new to this forum, but I've had experience setting things up and I've done quite a bit of research for my own system. I'd be happy to help however I can.

my set/up goes like this. I have the tv front and center w/ left and right Klipschs next to the tv.The center is a row down on the same tv stand/cabinet and my rears are wall mounted at 5ft high and towed in a few degrees where my couch is. The room is 18x14 x8 w/ an area rug in the middle w/ hardwood floors everywhere else.The auto test I ran had the mic set up w/ a backless stool at 4ft high and running ypao confirmed all the distances..I know there has got to be some thing else here because I've heard nothing but good reviews of the Yammy 665 from multiple forums.

The only other thing that I do a little different is instead of going w/ one HDMI cord direct ,I take the HDMI cord from my tv and go into my cable box then another HDMI cord from the out of the Yamaha back into the tv and then run an optical cale to cable box to p/u audio at av1 just because I like watching silent tv for sports and running tunes at the same time.I know you lose a little on sound quality but it should not have any bearing on effects.Most cords are 6ft or less.

If someone is completely satisfied w/ their h/u maybe you could list all your settings and I'll see if I missed something .

• 2 weeks later...

I just found a Yamaha RX A1000 cheap at Best Buy.

Now I need to replace the Bose 901's. Hooray, I think.

Looking at Klipschorns, Belles, and La Scalas. An assortment of odds and ends for center and surrounds. Yamaha self set up program to get in the ballpark. Tweeks afterwards if needed. Just talked to Bob Crites and he thinks this may work.

Gonna find out.....

PS; I have no idea why everything is underlined. Doh.