HELP with selecting my next home theater receiver

BigCliff

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would beware of the lack of features on the 7001 or 7002 models, I don't know about sound.I do know the 6005 is a non starter after my audition.The latest models in avrs have hdmi color menus, overlay on hdmi etc...older ones may not.It's more fun to pull up a menu overlayed on your movie etc...vs going to a different screen.The HK's are really good for sound and power, Onkyo is ok for sound and great for features/operation.

6005 non starter after audition, can you elaborate? I am liking the Marantz SR6005 because of all the features, but it looks the the 7002 is one heck of a performer.

bc...i used to be an onkyo man, now i'm a marantz man. my sr5002 has much louder and cleaner volume than my last onkyo, sorry, i forget the model.

did you get the prices from "accessories4less?" i was able to get mine, reconditioned, plus a three year extended warranty, for less than a brand new one cost at the time. and, knock on wood, it's performed flawlessly for about 1.5 yrs. now. it showed up it like new condition also.

Yes "accessories4less" is by far the best price on the Marantz.

To all out there I would like to share a post I got on AudioKarma.org where I am looking for the same help.

______________(I will leave poster anonymous) just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Help selecting my next A/V receiver - in the Home Theater & Video forum of AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums. Avoid recent HK. Poor build quality and not all that reliable. A friend of mine quit being a HK warranty station due to too many units needing frequent repairs. Too many underbuilt component parts to his liking. He fixes older HK. Marantz is the best buy for your money. What say you all to this?

I bought a 6005 for cheap so I tried it.It cost me $25 to get rid of it(shipping back) that was the only bargain.The congestion in musical passages made it unlistenable for me.Hogwash on the HK's quality, I submit 90% is user error.I've owned 10 in the last few years, one minor volume issue.I've had more trouble with any other maker.There's plenty refurb Marantz and Onkyos? That's no reason to not audition mind you, everyone has refurbs as these units are too complicated for many ht in a boxers.Of course what you buy is your biz, I'm just throwing out my experience cause I've owned/auditioned a pile of avrs.

I'm actually quite fond of the new Yamaha "Avantage" series, the sound is something different from Yamaha.It's really best to audition any units you're considering.It may cost you time or a little money but it will be worth it if you know you got the best unit to suit your ears.

It may cost you time or a little money but it will be worth it if you know you got the best unit to suit your ears.

Cliff, I agree with this completely.

There is an ABT Electronics in Glenview; but I am sure there has to be a "Little Guys" or something similar out south by you.

Sounds like it could be a fun weekend "Field Trip"...... [:)]

As for HK being poor on Quality...... I do not have a recent model; mine is from 2006. So far.... perfect.

As I have mentioned in previous posts.... The Marantz has several bad reviews; and I am sure the same applies to many manufacturers; and specific models and production runs. Some is poor QC, some is inferior parts, and some is just bad design flaws......

I do know that many of the HK issues I have read about have been resolved through firmware.

The best bet is to get something with a WARRANTY, and hold onto your current Marantz for a few months at least.......

Thank you Fish for you input. the Marantz SR6005 was at the top of my list along with the HK 3600. I wonder if you got a lemon or if they are

all that bad? I wish there was more time in a day to be able to run around and audition these units. Sunday is my freest day and most everything good

is closed.

Like you I have been researching and trying to decide on a new HT receiver to replace my Outlaw 1050, I've decided to go with a Marantz, either the 6005 or the 7005, the 7005 is priced quite a bit more then the 6005 and I'm not so sure the added features are worth the extra money. It has a better preamp section, network capability, built in phono stage, more power, and the thing I really like is the V tuner which allows playing of internet radio stations through your wifi set-up, also the 7005 is owner firmware upgradeable while the 6005 has to be taken to a Marantz service center to upgrade the firmware, that is a real downside to me. Both models use Anchor Bay technology for the video conversion. Everything I've read seems to indicate the Marantz models are the best sounding in thier respective price range and that's most important to me.

I know I won't buy an Onkyo based on user reviews of sound quality and reliabilty, Marantz and Denon are both owned by the same company and if you compare them they are very similar in features with Denon being a bit less money, so I think a Denon would be a good second choice. I wouldn't even consider one that doesn't have hdmi 1.4, a reciever with hdmi 1.3 is now obsolete.

I know I won't buy an Onkyo based on user reviews of sound quality and reliabilty, Marantz and Denon are both owned by the same company and if you compare them they are very similar in features with Denon being a bit less money, so I think a Denon would be a good second choice.

I had an Onkyo until a week ago. It did sound great.

I question my decision to sell it; but the money was needed......

I am not sure why everyone likes to bash this brand;

Is it because they consistantly offer more features for less money; or is it because it traditionally was looked upon as a lower class name; and not as prestigious?

I truly do not get it.

Since the WRAT amplifiers were introduced in Onkyo receivers; their sound greatly improved......

The TX NR808 would be a fine choice; with more features than you know what to do with.

Everything I've read seems to indicate the Marantz models are the best sounding in thier respective price range and that's most important to me.

I know I won't buy an Onkyo based on user reviews of sound quality and reliabilty,

So why would you buy a Marantz based on user reviews; ("Everything you have read") but not an Onkyo? (You won't buy an Onkyo based on user reviews).... WHAT? Sounds like you have no intention of even giving another brand a chance..... A flip flop post for sure.....

If that's the case; that is your right. But if you have not heard a newer Onkyo offering; what value do you offer to the other forum members by bashing that brand?

Just say you are preferential to Marantz; and have already committed to buying that brand.

There should be a rule that you can not recommend or disallow a brand unless you have heard it recently......

You have just illustrated my point about prestige versus actual SQ.....

How about having an open mind and getting out and actually listening? I trust my ears; don't you?

I'm no big Onkyo fan but I can tell you the 608 puts the 6005 to shame for sound.The 708 up would not even be a comparison ,shame on Marantz.I'm not here to bash Marantz, I just tried a few models that are talked about lately, both sounded pretty poor imo.

Onkyo is actually a very good brand making best bang for the buck gear.I consider them a little cold and sterile for music with Klipsch, with other speakers that opinion changes.Of course it's all opinion and yours is the one that matters.

I know I won't buy an Onkyo based on user reviews of sound quality and reliabilty, Marantz and Denon are both owned by the same company and if you compare them they are very similar in features with Denon being a bit less money, so I think a Denon would be a good second choice.

I am not sure why everyone likes to bash this brand;

Ironsave, I am with you buddy. I currently have (6) pieces of gear form Onkyo and have had nothing but trouble free operation from them. Onkyo is best known today for providing reliable, feature rich, first to implement new features, great performing AV products.

Is it because they consistantly offer more features for less money;

I think more features at a better price point draws in buyers more than overrall musicality, hence the reason for mass production and perceived lower quality. All the mass producers(Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, etc.) have to incorporate more features to keep up with demand and market changes so quality usually suffers in this compromise. Often times, the primary components that are key to sound quality(power supply/amps, DACs, etc.) are substituted for less quality ones.

or is it because it traditionally was looked upon as a lower class name; and not as prestigious?

Actually, Onkyo at one time was very well respected for their high quality, very musical stereo gear. Some of their 70's and 80's and even 90's amps and integrated amps are highly sought after today by those in the know. The Onkyo Integra badged gear had no trouble competing with the likes of Marantz, Luxman, NAD, Denon, Sansui, during those periods. The Grand Integra line even was mentioned often in the same breath as McIntosh and Mark Levinson.

Here is an interesting snippit.

In a recent review, Stereophile indicated those Onkyo amps were competitive with the Krell and Mark Levinson models of that era. Those gold-toned Grand Integras were also popular at high end audio shows, particularly in the early home theater demos (this was before the advent of multichannel receivers, and right when the first consumer Dolby Surround decoders became available). I recall one setup using a Novabeam front projection TV, and the audio driven by a pair of monobridged Onkyo Grand Integras, with surrounds driven by another two-channel Onkyo amp.

m-510-in.jpg

Sorry I was long in the tooth but had to comment.

Bill

All I can say is THANK YOU, to everybody that has contributed. I appreciate all the new knowledge I have gained from you.

I am 99% sure that I am going to go with the Harmon Kardon 3600, great price for a very good receiver. Once again

THANK YOU all for helping me come to this choice.

Cliff

Hey Ironsave I reread my post and I guess I did come off as Bashing Onkyo, that wasn't my intention at all, and I have to admit that I have not heard an Onkyo in many years. If I offended you, I apologize.

I live in the middle of the least populated state in the Union, it is about a 400 mile drive for me to get to a place where I can compare audio components side by side so I do a lot of research on the internet taking in as much as I can find by both professional reviewers and end users, it sucks, but I'm afraid that's how I decide what to purchase. I envy those of you who can drive a half hour to listen to new gear, but I don't envy the traffic you must drive through to get there. The best way to make a buying decision is comparing components side by side on the same identical equipment, we all know that, but I wonder how many people can actually do it. I don't listen to music on my HT system very often, I have a seperate 2 channel room for that, however in the future I may decide to consolidate it into one system so I want to get the best sounding unit that I can afford, I really don't care what brand it is.

BigCliff, enjoy the HK, I'm sure it's a great sounding unit, you asked for advice and I gave you my opinion on why I was chosing what I did, I didn't think I would get attacked for it but maybe I deserved it?