KP-115 and KP-250's

clevor

I am stacking these on top of some EV TL-505 18" subs I built. Just wondering what the crossover frequency is for the KP-115 ( it has a passive crossover inside) I am crossing the EV's @ 100hz mono. If the KP cross @ 150 then I'll run them active but if they cross @ 400 I'll run them passive.

looking for suggestions these are for my band, I have used the KP stuff for years for small venues and have had to boast the bottom way to much... That's why I am adding the TL-505...

for some reason I thought the HP-115 crossed @ 400 but then I read somewhere it was 150 ...

• 3 weeks later...

If I was building a PA, I'd get those KP115's out of there as quick as possible. They were designed to be a 'sub' to the KP-250 as you already have experienced, but I find their bass pretty loose. Doubt if they'd make much of a good mid-bass (which seems to be what they'd be in the configuration you describe).

Yes their built in crossover is at 150 Hz - that's from the 115 to 250. Most 18" subs like to see no more than about 150 hz otherwise they get sounding a big squonky and nasal. Lots of guys use 80 hz as cutoff for 18" subs (like my KP682's). With that in mind, you'd be hauling the 115's around just to do 80-150 hz. which is only one octave. That would be great if it was a really high quality octave, but it's an important octave and I don't think it's going to sound too pleasing, but give it a try.

If it were me, I'd experiment with bi-amping your EV sub directly with the KP250's around 120 hz.

I once saw a local band that had an entire EV TL rig 18/15/dual 12 and horn top. It was awesome- they had them covered in white fibreglass- name of the band was Light Band. We also used to use dual TL 15 (606?) for mids with JBL scoops underneath them and horns on top.

Michael

I used them this week end and had all day to play with them I ended up just using the 18's and the 250's the 115's where just spacers to help get the 250 higher. it was a good size room 150' long X 60 wide... I crossed the 18's at 140.. sounded OK would have been better with horn loaded stuff, had to be careful with the subs they were at there max... 8 505's would have been better.. lol

I have oneTL505 bin built up here, it's already fibreglassed, and a spare EVM-18L..You could have a second pair pretty easy if you're near Indy. I need to get some stuff out of here that I never use and is just taking up space.

So I guessed pretty close eh? Glad that worked out well for you, great idea on using the 115's as spacers.

Get a pair of KP301's for mains and you'll be really cooking. I used a single pair this weekend on stands and the drummer asked me where my subs were LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

Well all was well but now I need to replce yet another med horn in the KP250... it's all ways the same one this is the third one... wonder if something else went bad in the crossover other than the caps..

Here is a pic of the blowen caps..

100_5688.jpg

They allways seemed very loud to me I have to pull 8 to 10K out of the mix or those horns will cut your ears in half...

That is a woofer cap.

kp250atten.jpg

Replace the 3µF cap and check the solder connections on the 4mH inductor.

How big of an amplifier are you using?

Is the failure mechanical (see above about 3µF and 4mH) ) or does it burn up (the coil turning black), I suggest you wire a #1156 automotive lamp in series with the mid if they keep burning up.

ditto on the lamp idea......check the ground connection at tap 0 and check both ends of the 4mh shunt mid driver inductor for continuity to the indicated parts of the circut...and check to make sure you have the correct impedance voice coil in the mid driver....if it blows again...replace the 4mh inductor with a 2.5mh one and add a 9uf cap in between the mid driver and the - connection on the crossover.

OK I'm not sure how to test the parts... but I did buy some new inductors from Bob I think with Multiple taps for attenuation because of how freeeeking loud those meds are...

in the pic below it's the inductor to the far right.. is that correct?

I'll have to get back at this later on... very busy right now... thanks, I'll be taking the KP250 apart here in the next few days..

100_5774-900.jpg

• 2 weeks later...