Anybody using RF-7's for surrounds

wstanger

Nah go ahead and get another set of 7 IIs! Enjoy them enough for the both of us. I don't have the room for another set of 7s but I may be able to swing a set of 62s or 82s as surrounds to replace my 61s.....

I would like to get the rc 64II first. Missing alot of sound from my current center.

Oh thats pretty cool! Is there a name for that feature? Is it called A and B surrounds? Is it a 7.1 amp with assignable amp sections or is it truely A and B surrounds? I was just wondering because that sounds really convenient. Do you know if other brands have that feature?

This is a Denon AVR3802 Receiver that I am using as a pre/pro in front of a B&K 7-channel 200 watt/channel amp (Reference 200.7). As far as I am aware, only Denon recievers have this feature.

They do call it A and B surrounds. The "A" surrunds will output through the pre-outs so I can power the RF-5s via the B&K. However, the "B" surrounds, I have to power them through the reciever's internal amp.

I would imagine that you could replicate this using a speaker selector device (such as something like this), but at least the Denon saves which surround you are using with the input mode, thus when I switch to TV, it automatically switches to the RS-7s, but when I switch to CD, it will automatically switch to the RF-5s. It will a feature that I will miss when it comes time for me to upgrade the thing as I'd like to get a dedicated pre/pro (plus this particular Denon is really getting long in the tooth - had the thing going on 8 years now, and would like to get something that can take advantage of the new HD surround formats). I'll probably end up having to get a speaker selector in order to keep being able to switch the surrounds (and a second two-channel amp for the second set of surrounds).

• 4 months later...

Well I have not had much time this week but have had a few ocassions to listen to them some for music the sound is stunning.

I will put in a few movies over weekend and hopefully post some pics

Thanks

Bill

I didn't see where you posted your impressions and also that you got Dean's crossover mode....If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to do that?

Well my GF thinks I am crazy, I am on my way to pick up the matching Maple 7's.

It's ok Bill. We in the forums understand your illness very well. Stick out tongue

Post some pics of them when you get them home.

Good luck and congratulations in advance!

Yeah, we all Klipsch lovers are ****! [;)]

Well I have not had much time this week but have had a few ocassions to listen to them some for music the sound is stunning.

I will put in a few movies over weekend and hopefully post some pics

Thanks

Bill

I didn't see where you posted your impressions and also that you got Dean's crossover mode....If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to do that?

Tkd,
I am pleased with the 7's as surrounds I origanally had the RS-3's there then tried the KSP-S6's. Came across another deal on CL so thought I would try them. I am very pleased with the setup as is now.

As far as the upgrades to crossovers I read quite a bit on Deans upgrade and indeed was money well spent .

Dean's crossovers brought these already great speakers to another level. Improved clarity,detail. I setup the originals and updated side by side and was amazed at the difference.

...As far as the upgrades to crossovers I read quite a bit on Deans upgrade and indeed was money well spent .

Dean's crossovers brought these already great speakers to another level. Improved clarity,detail. I setup the originals and updated side by side and was amazed at the difference.

Thanks for the info...When you told Dean that you were running the RC-64 up front did he feel he could improve upon that and/or give you an opinion about running them with your RF-7s? I thought I remember someone saying that a Deang'd RC-7 sounded like an RC-64....I was always curious of that statement.[^o)] Anyway, I am going to be on the lookout for another pair of RF-7s.