Again trying to get music out of computer into audio system

Hi guys, I have brought this problem up before ,lost some interest but now I need to get this resovled. What I did was to run to long RCAs from puter to my Yamaha avr.At the computer I have a y jack that slits into 2 female rca ports and 1 male headphone jack, onthe other end it goes into audio 1 as per Yamaha techs. Now the problem is I get music alright but w/ it comes a God awful hum that is way to loud to listen to. I tried to call Gateway and they were absolutely no help.Their response was that because I didn't buy their product no free support or I could pay $50 for their services. I am so pissed right now.All I want to know is if the lenght of cable is to long or is the fitting beat. I do have more fittings comeing but 1 I wanted just a simple answer that wouldn't have killed them.I also tried Staples, and got some where w/ the tech there but when I tried to finish up w/ him is mgr came on and also said we don't give out such info.This peolpe believe me deserves a punch in the face somewhere.

Now on to the Forumites, maybe some of you have had a similar problem,and know of a solution. Yes the runs are long w/ no hard fasteners,and yes I am waiting on a few more connecters to change up. The reality of the situation is that I can not move either piece of gear, they must stay were they are.

Sorry if this seems familar but I really want these tunes through my larger system......HELP PLEASE

Just to be clear, you are basically running out of your headphone jack on the puter into the receiver's RCA in's via a headphone jack to RCA stereo splitter. You are getting a hum through the receiver, and you want that to go away.

To start with, try headphones in the jack and see if it is the puter.

If those work OK, then try using a different RCA input (like the VCR in) and see if you get the hum.

One responder mentioned a ground issue. It could also be a contact issue or even the splitter.

I assume you don't have a digital sound out of any kind on the puter or a digital in on the receiver. As you surely know, those are superior interfaces by a huge degree. USB is even better than the analog headphone/RCA setup.

Somehow I think you probably know all this stuff I just said, but I am trying to think this through as though it was my own problem.

To Sweet Sound and other concerned parties,

I have checked the rear of my puter and there are no Toslink or HDMI ins or outs.there are a few other fittings which being so utterly computer deficiant I don't know what the do. There's a couple of female f-type connecters, and some female multi-pin jacks and an orange port I have no idea what all these are for.Remember what ever the solution if any we still have about 40 some odd ft to deal w/ It's a shame because I do get tunes but the hum is way over powering.If there would be a fitting w/ toslink on the avr side and a 3.5 headphone jack on the other I'll eat the RCAs, it's that important to me to get this up and running. I will check most of the popular wire sites and see if this exsists. In the meantime could you guys think this through to see if Imissed something. Also I ordred 2 different style jacks but they haven't arrived yet. What I would really like is a schematic of the rear of the Gateway so I know what is where.So, thanks for the response and keep on plugging, someone must know what's going on........LW

I really don't think it is the cable length that is creating the buzz. You mentioned that you have it plugged into your headphone jack in the pc, I think this is a 2.5mm jack and I think you would be better off using the speaker out on the back of your pc which I am pretty sure is the same size. If not it is a 3.5 in which case you would need a different adaptor. This is gonna be the best bet for what you have without buying a sound card which would fix the problem also.

...and an orange port I have no idea what all these are for....

This is from the Gateway tech site:

Digital speakers (Digital out) jack - Plug digital speakers into this jack. This jack is color-coded orange.

Perhaps this could be of use? It should be a S/PDIF of the coax type. A single coax from that to the digital in (RCA) on the receiver and you should be set. A big plus is you will also get full surround sound for DVD's etc...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882750004&cm_re=digital_coax-_-82-750-004-_-Product

They have them in 15', but I didn't see a 40' one. Since it is 75 ohm I figure they come in longer lengths in places like black box.

It's all resolved. I spoke to a yamaha rep and he didnot think his amp was he source. He suggested to diconnect all speaker wire and run i and see if any hum or any noiise happens .After putting it all back together a remove one HDMI cord that was to be for on screen viewing adjustments. Well glory halleluya, all the extrainious hum is gone and does not come back unless I plug this cord into the Yamaha. I have no explanation for this , the cord is good when use to get variableson spkr placement and all the other things it does.So now I have clear streaming puter music to my avr 7ch set up. Any tech out there who could figure this one out,I'll be real amazed

H/T.......>Toshiba 37au>Yamaha RX-V665>Yamaha-ysd dock>Klipsch500set w/8insub>Denon1940ci--cdp

2chl.......>Adcom gfa555 200wpc>Onkyo p301-pre>Denon 1940ci--cdp>ShurePro240headphones>InfinitySM112s

THANKS FOR ALL THE THOUGHTS AND EFFORT PUT INO THIS STUPID CORD PROBLEM....LW