Why Does........?

russ69

I agree also... for me I have rediscovered many of the artists from that era that I play often now. Additionally, I have discovered a mother lode of tunes by those same artists that I passed over (for some reason) and have a great appreciation for now.

Why does 60s and 70s music sound better on Klipsch speakers. Is it just me? What's the deal, do you think it's because most of this music was mixed on horn loudspeakers?

Thanx, Russ

Russ,

All music sounds better with Klipsch speakers it is the speakers, I have never been in or heard of a studio that used horn monitors!!!

Jay

Russ,

All music sounds better with Klipsch speakers it is the speakers, I have never been in or heard of a studio that used horn monitors!!!

Jay

Wendy Carlos uses Cornwalls suspended from her studio ceiling.

sprkloc.jpg

I'll agree with Canyonman.

The Klipsch design works with all sources and styles of music. I have to attribute it to the Horns

I use my Forte IIs in a surround sound system and love the sound whatever the source material is.

Why does 60s and 70s music sound better on Klipsch speakers. Is it just me? What's the deal, do you think it's because most of this music was mixed on horn loudspeakers?

Thanx, Russ

Yes, very often, music WAS mixed on horn/compression driver speakers. Setups like large JBL monitors powered by Mac or similar amps were common in studios. So it's no wonder to these ears why my Belle Kipsch powered by MC30s sound so good, especially with music from that era. Stuff like this WAS "high end" in the 1960s...studios and music lovers the world over used gear like this, and so do I[8-|]

Here are a couple of links to "The Mastering Lab" speakers: the Altec 604-based "Big Red" or other horn-loaded designs with segmented horn midrange/tweeters.

Here is a partial list of artists mixed using those speakers: Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Ray Charles, The Eagles, Sheryl Crow, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Neil Diamond, Rod Stewart, Earth, Wind and Fire, Tower of Power, Miles Davis, George Benson, Natalie Cole, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, James Taylor, Willie Nelson...

Coincidence? Maybe not.