completing system around 2 LaScalas (2 LSI SPLITS ADDED)

scallywagger77

I just discoverd you guys and I believe It's going to be a blast getting involved with people of such excellent preference in sound reproduction. Can't wait to get started so let me lay out the situation in our recently completed basement media room. The room measures 17 x 26 x 8 with acoustic ceiling, lots of sound absortion on the walls and floor. We have the LaScalas on the 17 foot wall in the corners with a Samsung 67" DLP in between with a Pioneer HMP 100 (100 watt max imput) with a slight upward tilt on the right side of the TV serving as a center with it's mate on the back wall taking care of the rear surround. On the sides, raised about 18" and slightly behind the listener HERESY'S are being use as surrounds. I've considered trying to find a KLF-C7 or a RC 64 to replace the Pioneer in the center but from the reading I've done on the forum so far it sounds like Heritage stuff is the way to go, and another LaScala the best choice of all but how do I put a LaScala on top of or under a 67" TV??? I could really use help with the center channel situation but I am just about clueless about what sub or subs to use and where to place it or them. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice any of you might offer.

how do I put a LaScala on top of or under a 67" TV??? I could really use help with the center channel situation but I am just about clueless about what sub or subs to use and where to place it or them

Many people have a center La Scala under a big TV. Does the TV hang on the wall? A few people have put the TV on the La Scala, but I might be concerned with the La Scala shaking the TV too much. I suppose you could build a floor standing platform over the La Scala to hold the TV.

My sub is a Klipsch RSW15, and it matches the SPL of Khorns, a Belle center, and Heresy sides. It provides pleanty of bass, but I'd like it to be a little less "floppy" sounding, since the other speakers are not. Klipsch has a newer one that is supposed to be "tighter." I would think that a good place for a sub would be right next to a center La Scala.

You and I sound like were in the same boat. I went from thinking I would sell my LaScalas to completing my system. I was looking for a sub two weeks ago and these KSP-400's fell into my lap for $500 I'm running the subs only. Found them in the garage sale tab.

Center is a RC62 and RS52 in the rear. Also have a pair of KG-1.5's for when the wife wants to watch a movie. She can not take the LaScalas. TV is a 63" Samsung with a Denon ARV-5800 pulling ever thing together.

I'm still in set up mode and awaiting new tweeters and crossovers. I bought the LaScalas new in 1975 and is the first thing I learned from the forum "If your not going to sell them you need to put money into them." o-well I needed a new hobby. :+)

Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates IL has a RC-64 demo in black for 800 -- (847) 882-2885 Talk to Ken he is a Klipsh dealer.

post-49915-13819639048666_thumb.jpg

I went with the RC-62 because it's all that I could fit in the TV stand. If I had it to do over again I would have had one built. I found this on the forum, it's a custom stand with a RC-64

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1314936

This is the stuff I picked up. Only holds the 62 but so far it's plenty.

http://www.furnitech.com/2010/CC/index.htm

The TV is on a stand, a

The TV is on a stand, it's a DLP about 16" deep and exactly 5' wide. I like the idea of laying a LaScalla on its side and building a cabinet around it, maybe a sub in there too or shelves for components. I've seen one or two RSW 15's on e-bay and other places but they don't last long do they? Klipschorns, LaScala's and a RSW 15 sound sweet to me. happy listening

I LIKE THAT A LOT,I'VE READ IT'S BEST TO WAIT FOR WHAT YOU WANT SO I'M GOING TO LIVE WITH WHAT I HAVE FOR A WHILE. I'M CURRENTLY USING PIONEER HMP 100'S AT CENTER AND REAR CENTER AND HERESY'S ON THE SIDES. AFTER AUTO CALIBRATING I MANUALY INCREASED THE VOLUME ON THE PIONEERS AND HERESYS AND MUST SAY I'M PLEASED. WATCHED THE NEW ROBIN HOOD BLUE RAY AGAIN AND COULD HEAR THE DIALOGUE THIS TIME. I'M STILL MISSING THE SUB, MAYBE YOU COULD SHARE SOME INFO ABOUT YOU TUBA HT, NOT HEARD OF THAT YET. THANKS FOR THE HELPFUL REPLY.

Guest Anonymous

Oh, about the sub, you need one for sure. you have lots of room, so get a nice big sub. with an external amp. I would never go back to a sub with an active amp built in.

I love my KPT684, even a KPT884 would be great....Read PSG's thread on his TUBA HT, Its a thumper too.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/139522.aspx

I bought the plans for the Tuba, it looks like a good project.

Thanks for filling in for me Turbox while I let this thread slip by!

I'm really glad I built the Tuba HT, but another way to go is the Danley DTS-10 kit ($1000, but a lot of people buy two). It wasn't available when I wanted to buy it and therefore decided to build the THT. It took me a long time, but the cost is low. My room is far from ideal, but I get very solid response down to 18-20 Hz. The bass is so clean that I can crossover from Klipschorns at any frequency and the sound is the same. My previous Hsu STF-3 sounded boomy in comparison and didn't sound quite right for music with the Klispchorns so I kept them set to large at the time.

I've considered trying to find a KLF-C7 or a RC 64 to replace the Pioneer in the center but from the reading I've done on the forum so far it sounds like Heritage stuff is the way to go, and another LaScala the best choice of all but how do I put a LaScala on top of or under a 67" TV???

You do it any way you can find to do it.

In my opinion, you are going to be wasting your money & time with anything smaller than say... a Cornwall (and I'm trying to be nice). If you can fit a Cornwall in there then a LaScala is but a couple more inches away.

To do it 'right' you really want to use a LaScala between your other two LaScalas.

Anything else will be a compromise. Sometimes we have to make them and smile about them. I'm trying to avoid that again. I was once told (by a dealer mind you) to get some Academy's. I said ok, and bought three of them using one for my center.

It was an epic fail. I was never satisfied with it as a center. It simply did not have the horsepower to keep up with the LaScalas.

I won't be making that type of mistake again. I'll go with nothing before I go smaller.

I am suprised no one has mentioned it. If the entire La Scala does not fit under the TV you can get a split La Scala (or La Scala II). This allows the Bass bin and the Midrange & Tweeter to be separated. In this case, you have some options.

One: place the TV over the Bass bin and the midrange and tweeter over the tv.

Two: place the midrange and tweeter under the TV (on a stand) and place the bass bin next to the TV/stand. A subwoofer could be placed on the other side of the stand.

Just a thought.

A Belle has very similar acoustical properties as the La Scalas. I think a cornwall or a "vertical" cornwall on its side would be a good choice as well. The cornwall is the big brother to the heresy. The Heresy was designed to go in between Khorns. PWK was told it was heresy to put a speaker in between so that is how the name came about.

A heresy would be a cheap (relatively) stepping stone to the larger centers. I run a Heresy between two La Scalas and enjoy it.

The Heresy was designed to go in between Khorns. PWK was told it was heresy to put a speaker in between so that is how the name came about.

The story I heard was that when he was designing the small infinite baffle, it was the size and that it was not horn loaded in the bass that inspired the comment, "For you, that would be a Heresy," rather than the fact it was designed to go in the middle (which it was)[:)]. Another speaker that did not have horn loaded bass -- the Cornwall -- came later, in 1959, I think. Later yet, in the Dope from Hope, I believe PWK said that speakers with horn loaded bass would be slightly better to use as centers between Klipschorns, due to lower distortion, because the distortion of the speaker with the highest distortion is perceived as the distortion of the whole. The La Scala and the Belle Klipsch would qualify. Now, some lucky Home Theater people have three Jubs across the front, all horny.

I am suprised no one has mentioned it. If the entire La Scala does not fit under the TV you can get a split La Scala (or La Scala II). This allows the Bass bin and the Midrange & Tweeter to be separated. In this case, you have some options.

One: place the TV over the Bass bin and the midrange and tweeter over the tv.

Two: place the midrange and tweeter under the TV (on a stand) and place the bass bin next to the TV/stand. A subwoofer could be placed on the other side of the stand.

Just a thought.

A Belle has very similar acoustical properties as the La Scalas. I think a cornwall or a "vertical" cornwall on its side would be a good choice as well. The cornwall is the big brother to the heresy. The Heresy was designed to go in between Khorns. PWK was told it was heresy to put a speaker in between so that is how the name came about.

A heresy would be a cheap (relatively) stepping stone to the larger centers. I run a Heresy between two La Scalas and enjoy it.

. The split LaScala sounds good. I had thought of just laying one on it's side but that would mess up the sound dispersement of the mid-range horn and tweeter. This may take a while but you have contributed greatly to my newfound determination. Thank you for that.

• 1 month later...

THANKS MAN: I had not heard of the split LS until i saw your post. I was trying to buy a pair with another forum member but the timing wasn't right and the seller didn't want to sell just one and risk being stuck with the other so I ended up with a pair of really nice raw birch splits stained by the first owner. Not a real professional job but the do have a nice rustic look about them and they are growing on me big-time. I'm using one at rear surround and the other up front above and below the TV. Two LSBL's right and left with Pioneer HMP 100's for surrounds. Still no sub but the split LSI at center really fills in between the two original LS's which I been listening to for 35 years. I never imagined how sweet it could be. Thank again and thanks to everyone who has responded to my request for help.

With regard to mixing ref with heritage here is my story

beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I am not knocking Ref gear- I love the RC 64 which may very well be the best center on the planet in a ref situation. I have owned almost every ref speaker in the line up at one time.

I had a top of the line ref HT setup. I was somewhat disapointed with the 2 ch playback. The HT was amazing. I got this idea to mix K horns fronts- Industrial Lascalla rears with an RC64 center and the top of the line ref bookshelfs. I could switch the K horns back and forth for HT fronts and 2 ch- so I thought. Senior forum members begged me not to do it. Of course i was smarter that them so i bought an rc 64 and the ref bookshelfs for sides in my 7.1 ht system. It became apparent that it was not to be. could never get the system matched as the speakers sounded different. Welcome to theterm "horn mismatch". long story short- my forum buddies got some killer deals on the ref speakers. I took a not so small hit and began buying Heritage replacements.

The end result was nothing short of awesome. I did have to raise my TV to fit above the center lascala which was raised up to K horn height(very important IMHO) I miss my RTC 64 badly and hope to eventually have another onei in another room/system.

Everybodys taste is different but i would never mix the 2. Good luck- Hope your deal works out