PLEASE HELP ME I AM BUYING IN 3 WEEKS!!!

Quistes

I am buying a new computer in 3 weeks with the klipsch 4.1, but after reading that giant debate on moniters i am iffy about my choice. please help me!

What is better? remember they are both the same price

PF790 19" Flat CRT 1600x1280 .25

or

19" FE950 Flat screen 1600x1280 @72hz .25

right now unless one of you convinces me im going with the NEC

since they're both the same price, just go with the nec. by the way, how much are they?

J

------------------

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

SuperMicro PIIISCD I820 Mobo

192MB Crucial PC100

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata66

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

GeForce256 32mb DDR (orig)

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Netgear RT314 Gateway/Router

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Triple Boot Me/2K/Whistler Build 2416

Soon to be Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Hows this system look? im buying it in 1 month.

Mainboard: Abit KT7A: Socket-A, ATA100, KT133A, PC133, AGP4X $225

CPU: AMD Thunderbird K7 1200mhz (Socket-A) $375

Heatsink: TAC-09S Slim Super-Orb with dual Fan for High level CPU (DU462-8) $35

RAM: 256MB SDRAM PC 133 (Micron/Infineon) $105

Floppy_A: 1.44 MB $19

Controller: Default Onboard or No Controller

HD: IBM 46.0G ATA100 7200RPM 2M cache 75GXP 07N3931 $245

Videocard: ATI Radeon 64M DDR w/VIVO AGP4x (retail ) $290

Monitor: NEC FE950 Flat CRT 19" 1600x1280 .25 $630

Case: Landmark ATX-202 tower 18" with 300W + 2 case fans $95

Keyboard: Logitech internet KB $45

Mouse: MS wheelmouse Optical PS2 (oem) $34

Soundcard: SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 value with Digital output $110

CD-ROM: Pioneer DVD 16x eide DVD-115GA tray version $135

Network: D-Link Pci 10/100 $22

PowerBar: SurgeArrest Personal 7- / with Tel $30

Hub: D-Link DE-805TP 5P 10BT $45

Additonal Fee: $30

Warranty: 1 Year Parts / 2 Years Labour (Standard Warranty for System)

Price $2470.00 + taxes ($2815.80)

looks pretty good for the most part, small things I noticed (in order of importance) were:

the soundcard - go with the acoustic edge

floppy drive - Teac or Sony, in that order

the ram - crucial is better

the mobo - why not the raid version? (for a small investment you get future harddrive possibility peace of mind)

well, those were the small things I noted, maybe you should take them into consideration

-Gxcad

c>

Well I second Gxcad and may i add that Teac is best CD-ROM drive it beats those with much higher speeds (giveen it has a lower speed) I would say a 24X speed Teac beats a X36 competition(not exaggerating here).

As for the sound card , well there can be some debate here, but both are fine.

As for the monitor try the Ilmya 21" or 19"(give a look)

As for the video card my suggestion is that you wait for the GEOFORCE 3 . you can either get (if you can offered it ) or cut some other parts and get it , or even better get the GEOFORCE 2 ULTRA it will have a lower price then.

Finally I suggest a 500w+ power supply because you have a large monitor ,but then I dont think the electricity cuts off often in the U.S.

Those prices sound way to expensive. For example, I picked up an athlon 1200mhz for $250 and a KT7a for $135 at a computer show this weekend. I don't know if you are building or buying this computer, but it sounds about $500 over what its worth.

Yes im in canada. im on vancouver island actually and all the other prices i got on the island were about 800 dollars more expensive than that one. i guess the overhead is high cause im on a damn island. oh well Atic is in vancouver so its cheap.

quote:

Originally posted by DJediMaster:

I strongly recommend that you take a look a the 900NF from samsung. Looks alot better than the PF790 and better than the NEC imo. But between the two that you listed the NEC would be the better choice.

(edited 03-07-2001).]

Since when does a Samsung monitor look better than a Viewsonic? Samsung is pretty good, I'll give you that, but Viewsonic and Sony are the kings of the monitor world. Viewsonic's reliablity and reputation is excellent, and their monitors look stellar. The Sony Trinitron series (E400, G400) are very good too, but I actually prefer the Viewsonics.

And you're putting NEC above the Viewsonic? HA!

Lived in Vancouver up till last August and when I whent to part together a new machine I went with Atic and was totally satisfied with their service and their prices were by far the best around. I am still adding to my box and continue to deal with them and have the parts shipped here whenever i manage to find a few loonies in the couch or have an exceptionally good day collecting pop cans.

Hello my name is Lorne and I'm computerholic.

Take a look at my package.. I love it.

Take a look at the new GlobalWin Heatsink if ya can get it

Get a Copper shim .. better safe than sorry..

Also, are you buying from a place that will put it together? or seperate parts? I would go with seperates and put it together yourself..

I love my HD.. SBLive! 5.1 is cool, I went with a cheaper DVD <12X> but it works fine.

Look into Belkin SurgMaster but It is handy.. ya can turn off certain things..

What else.. case: I like mine.. will be better after a few mods of course and once I finally get case fans for it

I spent a little more on RAM in hopes to OC but I dont know how far I can push my CPU..

That about does it for now.. good luck.

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ProMedia 4.1

Nice system. its look pretty similar to mine. I am buying it from www.atic.ca and they are putting it together because, A) i dont have time to do it myself and B) im too stupid. I am kinda stuck to the shitty slimsuperorb right now cause thats all they carry, i dont plan on OCing so i dont think it will be a big problem, but if i have problems i can replace it in the future. Noise is a big issue for me becuase i am sleeping beside this beast, so i want a quiet heatsinc/fan. Any sugestions?

Anything but a Delta Black Label.. Im feeding mine 7V at the moment to keep it quiet till my case fans come and I can close my case up. I'm sure teh Orb will be quiet enough

Also, putting a computer together is very easy as long as you take your time and read included documents. It didn't talk long at all to get my system together.

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ProMedia 4.1

lol, i know im not dumb. I will probably crack open the case and see how things are setup "make sure they put my fans in the right way!". The slim superorb is rated at 34 decibels, i dont really know much about decibels but i dont think thats too loud, and there will be a case over that. I am ordering the computer and putting a dowm payment on it this saturday, then picking it up 1 week later. So ive basically got everythign figured out. I just have to make sure klipsch sends the 4.1's to London Drugs so i can get a pair. Damn i really want those.

Personally I suggest the following:

Monitor: Sony 19" or 21" FD Trinitron series, I have never seen a better or flatter screen on anything. The lines are a bummer, but don't really bother me.

Vid Card: GeForce2 GTS Pro or Ultra

CD-ROM: Pioneer DVD 115

Case: Lian-Li brushed aluminum case. - Pretty awesome, 3 fans all silver, but will cost you $200

RAM: Going with a 1.2ghz AMD processor, you should really get PC2100 or PC1600 RAM, otherwise the PC133 or PC100 RAM just makes a big bottle neck and you might as well just have an 800mhz CPU.

Fan: I had a chrome orb fan, they look cool but are pretty much junk, just go with a standard AMD fan/heatsink like that one that comes with a boxed retail CPU.

Also, you won't need a bigger power supply if you are getting a bigger monitor like whoever said, the power supply has nothing to do with the monitor.