KPT-904

davis419b

Hey Guys ! I have 4 kpt-904,s that I bought from Mike Lindsey. He told me when I was looking at buying them that the horns were a little hot. I have been listening to 2 of them with my 2 channel and with a sub they sound great. He was absolutely correct about the horns being hot. What I am wanting to know is there a way to tame the horns down. The imaging of these speakers is scary it is so good and I have only listened to them while they were on 4 wheel dollies in front of my khorns. I can only imagine how much better they would sound with proper placement and down on the floor. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Don

I asked Klipsch Engineering about this.....their reply is that they are very hot because they are designed to be placed behind a screen and they need to be hot to shoot thru the screen.

Those passive are also EQ'ed for behind the screen. So it isn't just hotter. There is no passive available for home use. You either need to put an active EQ in front of them or just forget the passive network all together and use an active XO/EQ system. That is what I did.

What driver is on the K510? B&C or the Klipsch K69?

jc

Those passive are also EQ'ed for behind the screen. So it isn't just hotter. There is no passive available for home use. You either need to put an active EQ in front of them or just forget the passive network all together and use an active XO/EQ system. That is what I did.

What driver is on the K510? B&C or the Klipsch K69?

jc

I would really like to do this but have no clue what it involves to set it up or how to operate it. The drivers on the 510 is a B&C.

Hi davis419b;

The 904 speakers are made for placement behind a movie screen and I believe they are 3 to 4 db hotter because they need to penetrate the screen.

If you get an e-mail to Trey Cannon on the blogs he will tell you how to resist the HF down to the flat responce. the 904s should have a passive crossover

in the LF cab. I have had this conversation with him in the past as these 904s are like the new version of the KP 450s and the KP 456s from 20 years

earlier. The KP 450 LF is the 904 LF. Same cab. Thoes were great systems, I own eight of them. If you don' t get anywhere contact me at

jophise@comcast.net and I will get the info you need to adjust the HF on your 904s.

Good luck Joey B KP600

Thanks Joey,

By the looks of that stack on the stage this is not your first rodeo. I dont know much about these but there is something about the 2-way I really like. I wished I could afford one of the kpt-684,s on Audiogon to go with them but it seems high. I will get a message to Trey

Don

I wished I could afford one of the kpt-684,s on Audiogon to go with them but it seems high

My brother in law recently bought TWO of those... well, they were the prior verson of the same thing with the angled rear corner and integrated wheels on them, for $800 total. Not each, but $800 + $200 shipping landed TWO of those on his doorstep.

Just as a side note... I don't know that he's interested in selling them....but I don't think he uses them. I think he bought them on a lark since I made a comment about them. A small voice inside me suspects that he bought them, knowing that I liked them.... and that if he didn't use them that I'd probably buy them from him. If that is accurate, what he didn't realize is, although I might like them, I like their bigger brother even more...

He's made NO comment to me about him getting rid of them so I don't want to raise any false thoughts.....but if you had an intrigue about them and a way to get them, he might be willing to flip one out, perhaps both.

(he's also got some JBL subs of similar size/appearance)

He bought them off Ebay so his transaction price was a public auction...which to me, helps infer more accuracy in the pricing.

I have a kpt-535 top which is the three way version for the 904. It has a k69/519 mid and a k??/k-70-g tweeter. Same behind the screen hot crossover. I did some experiments today and took off the cover I normally use and put back the original xover. So it was back in hot mode. The fix was some memory foam to imitate a screen. I used 1 and 1/2 inch memory foam cut 1/8th of an inch wider and taller. Used a little Velcro. Than the exits of the mid and tweeter horn. I positioned it inside the horn exits. Used a little velcro . It really did a good job of imitating a screen and the end result was a silky smooth sound. The memory foam I used is sold to roll on top of beds as a top cover. Don't use regular foam because it is not dense enough. If you don't like the way the memory foam looks (mine is white) you can always wrap it with black material before you insert it. The foam stays in pretty good. Now back to craigslist and www web search engines.

good news and bad news. the bad news....the velco did not hold over night and the foam is on the floor on the 904 tops. on the cornwall s, they are still in place. so next up will be either longer screws on the 904 tops with over size washers and an aluminum spacer, or a smaller version that slides into the throat. I wound up with 1 1/2 memory foam because it worked the best. I first tried this on some cornwall s that I was rebuilding. and rather than start tweaking tap settings and then compensate for the crossover point shifts by replacing capacitors, I cut out some memory foam for the mid horn and after seeing how well it worked did the same for the tweeters. on the cornwall s the wood cut outs held the foam permanently. The 904 horns need a better method to hold the foam in place.

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys ! I have 4 kpt-904,s that I bought from Mike Lindsey. He told me when I was looking at buying them that the horns were a little hot. I have been listening to 2 of them with my 2 channel and with a sub they sound great. He was absolutely correct about the horns being hot. What I am wanting to know is there a way to tame the horns down. The imaging of these speakers is scary it is so good and I have only listened to them while they were on 4 wheel dollies in front of my khorns. I can only imagine how much better they would sound with proper placement and down on the floor. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Don

After a couple of months now with them into position on the short wall with a Klipsch 15" sub I thought they sounded great. A couple of weeks ago I moved them to the long wall in the same room and couldnt believe the difference. I do not use a sub anymore as the bass is just overwhelming. No matter which tube amps I use they sound is fantastic. It took a little time to get used to the 2" drivers with the 510 horn. I have an audiophile friend who does not really like any of my systems but he admits he likes the 510 horn with B&C 2' driver better than anything he has ever heard ! ( Go Figure ! )

• Like 1

I did some experiments today and took off the cover I normally use and put back the original xover. So it was back in hot mode. The fix was some memory foam to imitate a screen.

Have you thought of using two or three layers of grille cloth? I'm talking about the stretchy black stuff you can get from car audio shops.

When I first got my La Scalas, I found the sound of the K400s were way too shouty, so I removed them, stapled the grille cloth to the inside of the HF front panel, and re-installed the K400s. It made quite an improvement..

In your case, working from the front, it would be very easy to experiment with various numbers of layers.

Hi Guys;

You are spending a lot of time trying to fix the high horn output on the 904s. It has a 3db bump up because it is made to sit behind movie screens that will alter the HF output. Just drop a line to Trey Cannon at Klipsch and he can tell you how to lower the HF output by three db we have had that conversation. Simple !!!

There are also thoes who are alyways trying to improve the sound of klipsch speakers. let it go and try to design your own,not as easy as it seems.

Klipsch has more testing than just about any body, case in point the major improvements between the MCMs and the KP 600s. The LaScalas were designed in 1963, have there been improvments since then? Yes but any garden variety LaScala even beat up from the road with an added 480 sub sounds better than any music store speaker and also throws the sound way out there. Want to change the sound of the speakers use a good quality1/3 octave eq like a White 4200 active unit and rearrange your listening area.

Good luck with your testing and have fun Joey B