New wiring for 4.1 help??

maximus

Ok, after hearing everyone talk about how much better the sats sound with 16 gauge wire and stuff I went out and bought some. First of all, does the white stripe on Radioi Shack wire mean the positive and negative wire?? Second when I bought my gold plated mono connectors one of the terminals is longer than the other. Which is positive and which is negative??? The longer terminal or the shorter one??? Finally, they only had three connectors left so I will have to go out and get a forth one later, but having three speakers running off the new wire set and the forth running off stock wiring shouldn't hurt anything should it?? Any halp would be greatly appreciated.

Late...

There is no "set in stone" rule when it comes to the markings on the wires. However, I've always used the marked wire as positive. It doesn't matter if you use the marked wire as positive or negative since the conductors in the wires themselves are identical. The only rule to follow is to stay consistent with your wiring....if you use the marked wire as positive, use the same throughout the entire wiring or you'll be hooking up some of the satellites out of phase.

As for the connector plugs, the tip or end is positive and the sleeve or longer section is negative...this is pretty much set as the industry standard.

Sup, I'm having a problem doing this 16 gauge wire trick too. I went out and bout the wire from radio shack but i have my speakers mounted on the wall using the Klipsch wall mounts and i need a RIGHT ANGLED MONO PLUG. They didn't have it, does anyone know where i can find this thing? Please respond back to me.

Since you went to Radio Shack, the easiest would be to get the right angled mono plug adapters they have. I know it is buying two plugs rather than one, but finding a right angled mono plug is pretty tough. Even many specialty electronics store do not carry them. Other suggestion would be to search the internet and overnight them. frown.gif Getting the adapter from Radio Shack is your best bet. smile.gif