Heritage HT

mdowns

Has anyone just plain lost their mind and built a HT using K-horns for the L & R, dual Hereseys for the center and LaScalas for the rear. If so, how was it? I know loud, but what about quality? I'm on the edge of loosing my mind. BTW, these would be powered by a Denon 3801. Thanks. Mike

It sounds great .... why wouldn't it? .... these speakers are adaptation of designs for theaters and concert use. Not only do they sound great with movies ...they sound fantastic with multichannel SACDs.

They also sound great at low volumes, but do have the capacity to "blow you out of the room".

I use a 65wpc Outlaw 6.1 receiver (1050) that is of very high quality and cost only $499.!!!

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 04-20-2002 at 05:47 AM

Mdowns.

Do it....without hesitation.

I am doing something very close right now.

Mine is 7.1 with Forte's on the sides and Heresy's in the back. 83 khorns for the R/L and a custom center channel build using a k77, k400, and a dual K24 ported instead of dual heresy's to better match the midrange of my khorns. Oh - and SVS for subs.

The hardest thing to find was the k400. Got mine from Big D on this board. I know he has another one for sale. Most of the rest was off ebay.

The other thing I did was design the room for the speakers (very important!!!!) It is big - 22wide by 34 deep.

My new house should be done in July.... I CANT WAIT.... I will post pictures here on this board as this gets accomplished.

If you want advice give me a shout.

JM

Go for it!

Don't have the room for what you suggest. Would probably do something similar if I did, except a Belle or LaScala in the center. I use 5 Heresys with a good subwoofer. Not as efficient but pretty much the same sound with a little difference between 400 Hz and 700 Hz because of the difference in crossover to the woofer. The extended bass response of the larger speakers wouldn't buy me anything because I cross to the sub before it would be of any benefit.

You'll need a good subwoofer even with the Khorns and LaScalas.

And FWIW I would use a single Heresy for the center in your system. Using two can sound worse than one. Just bump up the center channel level appropriately in your HT setup to match the efficiency of the Khorns. You can always use the extra Heresy for a rear center.

Click the little house below.

I was using only one Heresy center, but it was modified using a K-401 K-Horn squawker w/modified AA network.

The La Scalas would have been better for surrounds, but the 4 KSP-S6's were nice.

Was using the 3801, but with seperate Denon POA-2800 power amps.Loud? Well ya Eek.gif,quality.....Cool.gif

Sound?

Wonderful, just remeber, if it sounds great with music, it will sound great for HTcwm35.gif

Go for it,you will be glad you did.

mdowns,

There are many members that surround themselves in heritage. See 'First post' in this section for a peek at mine. For rears I use '83 Cornwalls. Powered by a brand new Denon 3802. Incidently, what a difference this receiver makes over the Denon 1701 it replaced. So much more warmth. Another step closer to tube sound with all the comforts of SS Smile.gif. DVD-Audio player is on it's way Smile.gifSmile.gif Can't wait!

------------------

Ed

Heritage series speakers are WONDERFUL. Love everybody's that have been posted here.

I have two old Cornwall "II"s as mains, a Belle as a center, and two Heresies for a rear. Sounds great.

I need to update these photos ... they were taken when the family room wasn't quite finished (see flooring, etc.)

Anybody A/B'ed the Denon 4800 and 3802? I think the 4800 sounds quite good, but am always looking to get closer to that tube sound Smile.gif

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

This message has been edited by Chris Robinson on 04-24-2002 at 06:34 PM

Just piling on here to say:

DO IT!cwm16.gif

As always with Klipsch, the speakers will sound as "quality" as the gear that you hook up to it. Go as far as your room and budget will go.

It will be worthwhile. Heritage in HT is bliss.

Chris: That room rocks!!

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

I am currently using Khorns for L/R w/ LaScalas for side surrounds and KLF30's for back surrounds powered by Denon 3801. Only weakness is my center C7. It is severely overmatched by the rest of the speakers. I am considering an industrial Heresy for the center. Apart from center channel weakness the system sounds phenomenal-I highly recommend it. Haven't added a sub yet, not sure which way I want to go there. I don't think you can miss with the big Heritage system.

road, you pretty much have my dream speaker sys 'cept i'd have to use my current corns for surrounds & would prefer a belle or lascala for front center. take it you have no room for that in front. i don't even have the room for khorns. Frown.gif

the heresy should be a nice improvement nonetheless. you could always keep the C7 for future expansion to 8.1. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa, you are correct. I have been shot down by a Sony 53" Hi-Scan RPTV-seemed like a good idea at the time.

I'd love to put another LaScala in the center, but the only workaround I have seen is Q-Man's system. I don't know how he got away with that with his wife. He must be a better salesman than I am. My wife thinks I've lost my mind as it is.

I've always loved the sound of Cornwalls but never owned a pair. My first set of Klipsch were KG4s which are now in the bedroom.

road, yea the corns are great, but like said the khorns

are tops for imaging & soundstage & the ideal for mains

imo. w/ HT & the 75% or so sound coming from center the la or belle would be ideal.

if you can get those floorstanders in the bedroom i think you have a shot at a la center strategically placed. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I cannot begin to describe how much more HT can be when you have a center that is truly equal to the task... so here's an inexpensive way to get the idea. Put on your favorite DVD movie and set your receiver on "No Center" or "Phantom Center"... your mains will suddenly get much louder as they take on the Center's mighty chores.

In 5.1 (or above) programming, the Center is asked to carry over 75% of all the sound coming out of all your speakers. Of course, a phantom center makes the sweet spot so narrow that it may change just by moving your head if you are seated in the exact center.

That's why PWK puts a Belle between his K-horns at home... as I do on my music system. That is also why I built a custom center by changing the motorboard on a KLF-30 for my HT room. Matching tone and timbre with K-horns usually means Belle, LaScala, or a low profile custom unit... but the results is as dramatic as having a really adequate subwoofer. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

HornEd, thanks for the good suggestion. I will give that a try this evening. I will frequently switch to plain stereo so I can hear the Khorns w/o the C7 getting in the way, but I hadn't considered switching off the center to keep the other channels operational.

By the way, I get a real kick out of your horizontal KLF30-I admire people who think "outside the box" and come up with innovative solutions.

I started off with the KLF30s left and right w/ C7 in the center. Even then, the C7 was not up to the task in my opinion. Situation only got worse as I added the Heritages. The C7 is no doubt a good speaker in its own right...just points out even more dramatically how good the Heritage line is by comparison.

I have been reading your SVS posts with great interest-my main concern in adding a sub is keeping character with the Khorns and LaScalas. I'm looking for tight, fast musical bass that can keep up with the horns-difficult job description.

Roadhawg the SVS Ultra has proven to be a perfect complement for my '97 K-horns and '99 Belle music system. In effect, there are some things in common between fully horn loaded Heritages and the SVS Ultra Subwoofers... both use specialized woofers and a special chamber with lots of cubic inches.

The result is a transparent blending of full-character, bottom scraping, majestic low bass with the elegance of fully horn-loaded mid-bass and above. The fit is magnificent and breathtaking... particularly with two Ultras pushed by 1,000 watts to reach reference level bass (121.5 dB) with ease. Check it out. -HornED

Boa, the way I designed the SVS Tower makes it very easy to move. The top Ultra just slides into its place in the three-sided rack so it can be lifted out and moved as conveniently as any two Ultras.

Since I will be building a new facility later this year, I have been doing quite a bit of testing. Needless to say, I was more than delighted with how well the Ultra's worked seamlessly with the Heritages. I will be fiddling with some bass management approaches in the future to try to determine where the best roll off points.

I will be trying some other subs out but so far nothing else has come close, IMHO.

Lately, I have been spending most of my time in the motorhome on another project... and so I do not get as much time with my audio systems. More later. -HornED

thanks ed. afraid u got another ultra (or ss) or 2 & i missed it. be sure to lift w/ legs & not back. Smile.gif

w/ either the 30s or heritage sys i think you'll find that proper bass mgmt is the icing on the cake. the ultra can more than handle that bass up to 90hz, but when u get the combined effect of your more than adequate lower bass floorstanders handling more below 90hz, & the ultras meeting them more in the middle i think/hope you hear what i've found. very flexible, & even more even quality bass. maybe even more overall bass quantity as i found. happy trails. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-30-2002 at 02:29 PM