Heritage HT

mdowns

Ed, how have you handled placement of your SVS and Khorns? Are you using false corners for your horns in order to corner load your sub? Do you find that the SVS has enough bottom end that it doesn't need to go in the corner? I haven't talked with anyone running subs w/ khorns to know how they are handling the placement problems-ie.-putting sub in back of room, etc.

I know many people say that low bass is omnidirectional, but every system I have heard where the sub was physically located away from the front array, my ears keep trying to put the two sources together and it is very distracting to me.

Where are you crossing your subs over and are you doing any other tweaks to them with a parametric or running flat?

Thanks in advance!

Road

I tried to run a Heresy between my khorns and it was a little to weak.

A La Scalla or Belle would be the best solution.

In my case - I do not have enough room above or below the screen. I am building a custom center channel with a k-77 and k-400 above the screen and a pair of k-24's in a ported cabinet below the screen.

My room is 22 wide by 34 deep and I plan to put a pair of SVS Ultra's in the rear right corner.

JM

LaScalas right and left, Heresys rears, RC-3 center. Several good people on this board have told me the RC-3 is not a good match. To my ears it sounds great. would like to have a big ol'LaScala for the center but don't have the room. HERETIDGE RULES!

I run Belle's & LWE-I's for mains, the LWE-I's sound like Cornwalls and have a motion feedback circuit that operates off an amplifier's negative feedback to generate more low end bass down in the 20Hz range. I currently have a KV-4 center and Heresy II's and Infinity SM-82's for rears. I plan to replace the SM-82's with a pair of KG2's or KV2.2's and have a La Scala that will be taking over center channel duty. Sonically it sounds phenomenal for movies and music. With all separate power amplifiers dynamics and clarity are off the scale. The DBX BX-1 runs Class A power to the Belle's. Long live the Heritage Series!

------------------

Living Room

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (ALF/ARF)LWE-I's w/motion feedback

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (400W X 1)(KV-4 Center)

DBX BX-1 Power Amplifier (400W X 2)(Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (200W X 4)(RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's (Walnut/Cane) & Infinity SM82 (Walnut)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

DBX DX-5 CD Player w/DAIR

Pioneer CT-S88R Programmable Auto-Reverse Cassette Deck

Technics SL-DL5 DD Linear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

RCA DRD-485RG Digital Satellite Receiver

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Electronic Crossover

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD/CD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

BBE Audio Recovery System

A/D/S L300E Mini Speakers (Eggshell)(LF/RF)

JBL T545's (Rear)

GE 20" Television

JM

Were you using Home Heresy or Industrial? The Industrial Heresy is ported and seems to have more low end punch, but I haven't heard them matched up w/ the larger Heritage, just by themselves. Was your main problem w/ the Heresy sensitivity or timbre? My problem is a RPTV that won't allow for a Belle or LaScala center without a radical wall unit makeover.

I tried HornEd's phantom center suggestion over the weekend and am more dissatisfied w/ the C7 as a match for the Khorns than ever. The absence of the C7 greatly improved the sound coming out of the Khorns.

I may try one of my KG4s as a center-male voices are where the C7's shortcomings are most noticeable to me. The KG4s reach 38 hz and sound pretty good in stereo, I'm not sure how it would perform on top of the TV.

Road

I tried a home style heresy.

The bass is not the problem, its the Midrange. Even if you use a ported Heresy that can go a bit lower than a regular heresy I think you will come to the same conclusion as me. The heresy as a whole does not have the same "presence" or "robustness" as the Khorn especially when they are part of the same up front system.

IMHO - The sub can fill in the bass where the Heresy leaves off, so that is NOT the problem.

Since the Center channel is mostly Midrange is why I am building a center speaker system with a k-400 like my khorns.

I would strongly suggest using a LaScalla, Belle or a k-400 custom like I am doing to center your Khorns.

JM

In response to the original question in this thread, ie, has anybody gone completely nuts with their system... I think I just did tonight. Five brand new, matching black LaScalas, along with an additional Sunfire True Sub (a MKII, this time) are on their way! Somebody please send me a couple of seedlings off the money tree!! cwm24.gif Soon to be upgraded system will consist of 5 LaScalas, 2 Sunfire True Subs (MKI and MKII) Sunfire Cinema Grand power amp, Sunfire Theater Grand II pre-amp/ processor, Kimber Kable (spkr wire and interconnects.) Hope to someday soon... after recovering from current severe wallet-shock, to upgrade ancient NAD CD player, and 1st gen Pioneer DVD player as well. Will be seeking good home for KLF C7 and pair of KSP S6s... sniff!*...

quote:

has anybody gone completely nuts with their system... I think I just did tonight.

ALRIGHT Partaymon in Terre Haute! I posted the original question and I too have LaScalas on the way to match up with my full frontal K-horns. Boy, are the neighbors are gonna love me. Let us know what you think about your system when you get set up.

Hey Mdowns, It's definitely gonna ROCK!!cwm3.gif I used to work in an audio store, and I'm very familiar with the capabilities of the LaScalas... and the K-Horns! Right now I'm just frustrated as hell, though-- I brought home the Sunfire and integrated it.. trying to get it adjusted for phase at the moment... and I'm running into one hell of a ground loop hum that seems to be centered in the TV itself. I've got 3 independent, dedicated electrical circuits for my HT and I've tried just about every combination of plugging stuff in that I can think of... and I've STILL GOT THIS FREAKIN' HUM!!!..................easy, Grasshopper-- drink a beer, and tweak tomorrow!cwm44.gif