Meet Cornzilla

I have mentioned that I was working on these for a bit. They have Cornwall internal volume and the port size and volume is close too. They have a bit of internal bracing that these photos don't show. My good friend Mark sent me the Camera to see what I have been up to and let others know too. I have been planing on building something all winter but I needed the weather to improve to start, as some would be done outside. I started cutting wood back on February 17th, five weeks later I had a pair of bass bins assembled and playing with the KP201's. There is another pair to build with most of the parts cut. I figured I would screw up on one build so I had planned to build 3 to get a good pair.. Well after looking at the cut panels I decided to add some backs made out of 2 laminated layers of 12 mm Baltic birch, this freed up enough material to build 4 bass bins with some parts juggling. I hope to get back to building the next pair soon and hope to add a few pictures of the build. Until then here are the first pair, some mistakes were made and I hope to get the next pair assembled without any problems. This Mahogany is part of the plywood I bought late last fall off of Craigslist for $40, the Baltic birch was another $75. I needed to buy some new tools for this project, a circle cutting jig and new spiral up cut router bit was nearly as much as the wood costs. All in all I think that they are well worth the time to build and sound good too.

post-42841-13819639627768_thumb.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great but will this have mid/tweeter?

When I figured there could be 4 bins built with the Mahogany plywood that I had My plans changeds from Vertical Decorator to something a bit more robust and with 4 bins only 2 would need HF so I built the low budget part first. There is space for the HF that can be done later when I have some money and know what I want to install. At the moment the CornZ's are paired with the kp201's

post-42841-13819639663098_thumb.jpg

ahh.......TSCM clone..........very nice corn box..........but I like the big horns even more.

Hi Mark

Thanks, I like them all. My plans for the mahogany plywood up until the end of January was for a pair of MWM-s bass bins but the damage to the plywood (remember (2) 4 x 10 sheets for $20 and 2 small pieces 28 and 34 x 4ft. for another $20). The bottom line was I needed to buy couple more sheets of mahogany for a "couple hun". Needless to say it didn't happen so I did the CornZ's. I still hope to build the MWM-s but it will probably be birch unless the right deal happens on craigslist for 6 or 12 sheets somethng nice.

Very nice. That pie logo is definite curb appeal. These look convertible. You could always flip them upside down, pull off the riser, put in a vertical horn, and you would have a 80% scale Altec A-8.

Very nice. That pie logo is definite curb appeal. These look convertible. You could always flip them upside down, pull off the riser, put in a vertical horn, and you would have a 80% scale Altec A-8.

So the plan evolves over time. First it was MWM-s, then Vertical Decorators to stacked bins with HF. It puts the HF up to 50 3/4 inch before the start of the HF cab. I am thinking of stacking vertical and having the HF in the bottom of the top cab. The top cab only plays to 150 or 200 Hz. I am sure that the plan will change some more before its over.

The Pie logo is for Chris, Un-fortunately the camera just hates black and the pie pics arn't that good but the grain photo is a good one