Oppo 93 ...or ??

Max2

If I could justify the purchase (my dvd player keeps working, darn it), the Oppo would be my only choice. It defines "bang for the buck. "

Well depending on location, I am sure a forum member could come over to demo something with you and "accidentally" break the dvd player for you. [;)]

Would you consider a 6 week old very low hour "as new" 93 for $450 delivered?

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a BDP-95 and knowing that my 93 was going to a good home is all it would take to push me over the edge. Smile

No offense jhoak, but 50 bucks wouldnt be worth the risk to me with all the "what ifs" happening these days. Having said that, do you still have the original box and paper work? Post some pics if you are wanting to get rid of it as I would definately give it some thought at $400.

Absolutely as new pristine right down to the static cling protector sheet for the display. Everything that arrived when new is included.

I'd have to dig the box out of the attic but I think the original batteries haven't been used either. I do know that I didn't use the power cord or the HDMI cable.

Other than a few fingerprints there's no way to distinguish this 93 from brand new.

On the other hand... A good friend of mine took delivery of a BDP-95 this week. He has promised to bring it over to my place over the weekend for a test in my system. If there isn't enough difference between it and my 93 to justify double the price I'll just keep the 93.

The Oppo DP-93 really is a VERY nice piece of kit. I highly recommend it. If you can justify the bucks there's not many (if any) BD players out there that come even close.

Like many here have said. GREAT "bang for the buck".

On the other hand... A good friend of mine took delivery of a BDP-95 this week. He has promised to bring it over to my place over the weekend for a test in my system. If there isn't enough difference between it and my 93 to justify double the price I'll just keep the 93.

So what was the verdict? How does the 95 audio compare to the 93 audio?

It seems with all the glowing reviews, I am the only one who would provide a luke-warm review of Oppo. The sound is just fine. It is as good as my 20-year old Harmon Kardon CD player, which finally started getting "skippy" on me. My only complaint with the Oppo is that its load times are horribly slow. My PC boots faster (hyperbole). But seriously, it must take a good 10-15 seconds from loading the disc until it starts playing.

My only complaint with the Oppo is that its load times are horribly slow.

For what it is worth, the Oppos are known for having the fastest load times of any stand alone BD players. The BDP-83 runs a very close second to the PS3 and is even faster with some movies. I don't know how the BDP-93 stacks up but would be very surprised if it is slower than the 83.

Quote from a review by HomeTheater Magazine

"If you’ve used other Blu-ray players, the first thing you’ll notice about the BDP-83 is its speed. This is one of the biggest gripes about standalone players. It seems like the more expensive a player is, the slower it is. Not so with the OPPO. The BDP-83 turns on immediately, and its tray response is excellent. Load times are on par with the PlayStation 3, which has been the speed king from the beginning. This is the level of performance we should see from players across the board. Gone is the frustration with initial loading and Java-intensive titles and features. What takes some players well over a minute typically takes seconds on the OPPO. Even the hardest disc takes less than half the time of some more expensive platforms I’ve reviewed."

How fast are the load times?

Here are some timings reported during the beta period, as compared with the 40GB PS3 running firmware 2.43:
Ratatouille (Blu-ray)
test
PS3
BDP-83
From power on to first previews image
00:53
00:40
From first previews to top menu
00:22
00:30
From top menu to total menus
00:14
00:20
From total menus to start of play
00:03
00:04
Chapter forward by 10 chapters
00:15
Chapter backward by 10 chapters
00:15
Men in Black (Blu-ray)
test
PS3
BDP-83
From power on to first Sony intro image
00:47
00:50
From power on to main menu
01:05
01:09
From main menu to PG-13 warning screen
Chapter forward by 10 chapters
00:16
Chapter backward by 10 chapters
00:16

And here are times as compared to the Pioneer BDP-51FD:
test
BDP-51FD
BDP-83
From power on to "No Disc" message
00:24
00:11
Load Disc (from tray open to Top Menu)
Fellowship Of The Ring disc 1 (DVD)
00:37
00:13
Load Disc (from tray open to Blu-ray Splash Screen)
Wanted (Blu-ray)
01:24
00:37

And compared to the Panasonic BD-35:
The Nightmare before Christmas (Blu-ray)
test
BD-35
BDP-83
Press open tray to tray opening
Press tray close to movie preview
00:44
Movie preview to main menu
00:38
00:23
Press play movie to Disney intro

Notes:
  • On the early machines, from power off to tray eject using the
    Eject
    button is about 11 seconds. With more recent hardware people are reporting eject times of about 4 seconds.

Bill

I do not want to speak for anyone, but load times on the universal players are sub-par compared with good CD players. This may be what he was talking about. That is the nice thing about standalone CD players. I use my universal player (Marantz DV 6600, DVD Audio/DVD/SACD/CD Player) but mostly only for SACD and DVD Audio. I use computer for most other listening (every CD is in Lossless on the hard drive). It takes a while to load a CD in the Universal player. If I plan to do major CD listening, I usuall go back to the NAD standalone I have just for the load times and such.

I do not want to speak for anyone, but load times on the universal players are sub-par compared with good CD players. This may be what he was talking about. That is the nice thing about standalone CD players. I use my universal player (Marantz DV 6600, DVD Audio/DVD/SACD/CD Player) but mostly only for SACD and DVD Audio. I use computer for most other listening (every CD is in Lossless on the hard drive). It takes a while to load a CD in the Universal player. If I plan to do major CD listening, I usuall go back to the NAD standalone I have just for the load times and such.

Yes. Exactly. It is almost miserably slow. Of course, my impatience is my fault. I like to use some unlabeled CD's with song collections to play drums with. Since I did not label them, I'm not always sure of what is on them. So, I pop one in, wait and switch, etc. The wait is too long compared to my old CD player. But really, if I wasn't a bum who's too lazy to label my CD's, it would not be a real issue.

• Moderators

Yes. Exactly. It is almost miserably slow. Of course, my impatience is my fault. I like to use some unlabeled CD's with song collections to play drums with. Since I did not label them, I'm not always sure of what is on them. So, I pop one in, wait and switch, etc. The wait is too long compared to my old CD player. But really, if I wasn't a bum who's too lazy to label my CD's, it would not be a real issue.

At least it play a burned disc, I have a old 5 disc in the bedroom that's so old it plays NOTHING burned in any kind of way. It's an old Techinics brand, works great as long as it's an original disc.

I found this out after hauling it and a HK 930 with some RB-75's to a cabin in the mountains for 11 days, 12 hours from home. At least we had some regular CD's to play so it ended up ok, I didn't know it was like that before then.