"Klipsh" <sic> going 4/20 on eBay

DizRotus

HDBRbuilder,

Congrats. I'm glad they're going to a good home. Due to the misspelling, I wondered if true Klipsch aficionados were aware of their availability.

It bothers me to see Klipsch speakers (most frequently Heresies) dismantled and sold piecemeal on eBay. I trust that you won't pillage those classics.

Please share the details of the condition. Even if none of the drivers is operational and the cabinets were destroyed, you still got a great deal.

arggg argg arggg,,, Shoot... close to home and didn't see it soon enough... Good buy. At least someone on here picked em up... Let us know what you think after you clean em up a bit, and see if everything is in working order and origional parts too.... I bet you could make a quick 100-200 dollars if you wanted to turn around and sell em quick too.. (Hehehehehe, let me know if your interested??)Congrats!!!

Lynnm,

Thanks...lucky me, huh? When this thread first opened I had already asked the seller a few questions in e-mails and had been watching a few days and the following thought hit me: "Damn!!!, now everybody on the forum will be bidding these up!!! There goes my chance of getting a deal on em!!!" As it turned out, a previous bidder had opted to have that proxy bid thing and had already given a max bid of 500 bucks...but the bid was only showing 430 bucks 30 minutes before bidding closed, so I bid on it at 435...but I was outbid...you can imagine me frantically bidding in small increments over and over again just to see I was outbid each time...fingers flying all over the keyboard!!!...LOL!...When I got outbid by the proxy to 500 bucks I thought..."OK, I'm gonna give this one more shot at 510 bucks!!! Maybe there arent any more bids and there is only two minutes to go!!!!" And I got it!!!!...LOL! I just hope that when the seller told me everything was in "excellent working order", they were right!

Dizrotus,

As for the misspelling, that is the major drawback to online auctions, if the potential bidders use a search machine to look up what they want the easy way. Klipsch is sometimes misspelled by the sellers when listing, as are other "keywords" potential bidders use in their searches.

As to gutting out the cabinets to resell the components...that is definitely NOT my intention....I am hoping that I can revive the cabinets and that the components are still in "excellent working order" as I was told by the seller. Although the carpet covers the back of the cabinets (where the label is), the seller also told me that they were definitely the real thing. It was difficult for me to try and confirm this in my mind with just one photo of just one of the speakers, but the tweeter throat apppears to be electrovoice with the reinforcing rib on each side of it, and the midrange horn lens appears to be correct in size and looks, and the crispness of the front edge of the "doghouse" and its centering appear to be the real thing (I saw alot of knock-offs when I worked there...we would obtain a pair and tear them apart to see if they were correct in dimension of parts and were well-built, etc...and, FYI they were normally pretty crappy, with nails shot into the interior of the doghouses when the panels above and below the doghouses were assembled to them...lousy glue bead lines with gaps in them , etc...). Also, in the doghouse portion and on the edges around the upper horn lenses there appeared to be little damage (nicks, scratches, etc.)...so I may only have to do some minor touchups here and there at the front of them. I imagine there will be alot of work to the sides and tops after the carpet is removed...I hope not, tho....either way, even if i have to do a total cabinet rebuild, the components are worth far more than I paid for the entire speakers...and I just happen to have 11 4x8 sheets of 3/4" birch plywood in storage that could make some very nice NEW cabinets Smile.gif..hell, I may just buy some Oak veneered Plywood and make some new cabinets anyway!!!!...with a few custom touches to them, of course...even if I use new birch, they will have a few custom touches! Smile.gif

When they get here I will post some good "before" pics...I can't wait!!!...Hell, if my luck holds out, they may even be some I built 20 years ago!!!!

I remember that back in 1979 the price for a pair to employees at 40% of MSRP was between 700 and 800 bucks, so I figure I got a pretty damned good deal, no matter what!!!

IndyKlipschfan,

Well...all I can say is "I'm Sowwy"(not really)..."If ya snooze, ya lose"...LOL!...and no, at this point in time they are gonna be kept by me.

First thing I will do when they get here is look em over good, give em a good "lick and a promise" cleaning...connections and such too, then play a cd with the equalizer kicked in and the heresys as a reference...heresys on speaker "A", LaScalas on speaker "B", and with me using the equalizer to defeat out the low-end and midrange to check the top-end, with similar checks for the midrange and the low-end of each LaScala...not exactly the perfect way to test em, but close enough. At least I will know the condition of the components that way...and I can go from there on what I need to do. Trust me, the forum folks will be kept aprised of this project as it progresses.

If I decide "to turn around and resell for a couple hundred more bucks," I will let you know first...but PLEASE don't hold your breath(I would hate to be blamed for your suicide)!!! Smile.gif

It is hard to type on this laptop while doing the "Snoopy Happy Dance", but I just thought I would tell you folks that I just got off the phone with the actual owner of these LaScalas (they were put on eBay for him by a friend).

He said the LaScalas were used in his church since new, and the only cabinet damage was four small holes in the back edges where eye-screws were put to suspend them from the ceiling and wall, other than that they looked new before carpet and corners were put on them. His description of the components in the top end as viewed from the rear opening sure stopped any nervousness I had...yep, they ARE the real thing!!!...AND they were bought in the late 70's or very early 80's...I can't wait to see if they have MY builder code on em!!!!!

The corners and carpet were installed when the church took them down a year or so ago and decided to add protection to the cabinets before using them at floor level for church functions. Carpet was put on using spray-on contact adhesive(easy to remove, thank God!!). The plastic corners were also glued on with spray adhesive and secured with 4 tiny brads each(thank God again!!).

INDYKLIPSCHFAN...this is for you....these aren't actually in Kentucky, but in Evansville, IN!!!! (sorry, please don't hurt your foot while kicking the furniture, LOL!)

Here is the good news for forum folks...there will soon be more LaScalas from this and another church on eBay...at least another pair with the carpet and corners on them...AND a few more pairs in pristine condition(black) that have been either stored since removal from one church, or are currently being removed from the second church where new JBL!!!!! arrays are being installed!!!! Can you believe that?...getting rid of Klipsch for JBL???????????Methinks this must be the work of the devil!!!

MORE work of the devil: I think the "jig is up" and they realize how to spell Klipsch now(no, I didn't tell them!)

Now, I wonder how Judy Collins' version of "Amazing Grace" is gonna sound thru these when I get them...hmmmmm

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 04-24-2002 at 12:26 PM