Wall of Jubilee's

rigma

IMG_1241.jpg

Looks like there is more copper in that crossover compared to the transformer powering my houseSurprise

I only looked at the first page of this thread but I was still wondering if those were just painted wall art or if they were real!!

I knew these were real but did not realize just how large they are. I have to ask... how much does one of these weigh? And how many lbs of copper are in each one? Did you wind your own coils?

Thanks for all the information. This is such an awesome project. It just looks so good and probably sounds even better.

Congratulations (again) and enjoy!

[8][8][8][H][8][8][8]

(note to self - keep the drool bib handy. Gotta clean the keyboard. Again)

how much does one of these weigh? And how many lbs of copper are in each one? Did you wind your own coils?

I don't mean/intend to speak for Marion... but he doesn't check in too often. If I'm wrong, hopefully he'll correct me.

My understanding is they weigh about 40/50 pounds each. They can certainly be carried by a single person but they're a bit awkward. When I carried one of them, someone was helping me. If they were mine I would not have worried but since I was carrying something that belonged to someone else, we felt it was more secure having two of us carry them.

Regarding the wiring of coils... although this is a bit over my head here's my take on what he did. He needed coils of a certain value, say "20". (pardon my ignorance). When he ordered the coils he could only order them in say, 22.5.

From what I remember, he measured them to get the value (22.5) and then slowly snipped a length off and measured again (21.75) snipped a length off and measured again... until he got his value of "20".

So he didn't wind them himself but rather, he unwound them a bit to adjust their value down to as close to ideal as he could get them.

I reserve the right to be 100% wrong, but that's my understanding.

For anyone interested let me give a little background information that might help someone to understand why and the methods Marion has chosen for his system.

Looking at Marion's profile of his system you will notice that he has it serving multiple purposes and it's configuration is adaptable(ie: equipment and setup) depending on what he wants to listen too. I believe it's also obvious if you look at his system from the custom built crossovers, preamplifier, amplifiers and to his room setup and many other things he has a little bit of a perfectionest nature about him.[;)] So he has some clear goals for his system depending on how he is using it.

In Home Theater mode the Large Screen and wide seperation of the main channels gives a very nice sense of scale balance between audio and video reproduction. The (2) Jubs (having Active DSP processing available for reasons I'll explain later) on each side of the center are solid down to approximately 30 Hz (especially with the 32 Hz eq applied) with the Danley covering the 10 to 40Hz region. The Jub rear channels are setup as full range and one good listening experience (Burlesque for example) will prove they are not overkill and add greatly to the surround experience.

In Analog LP (3) Channel mode Marion's very important goals were to have a pure analog path for his playback of recordings through these channels. The (2) Jub LFs on each side of center and the (2) Jub LFs in the rear are used with Active DSP capabilities which again I will explain the reasons why later.

Marion's listening room as anyone can see is a very complicated acoustical enviroment with cathedrel ceilings and stairs at the back of the room that connect to floors above and below it as well as again it has to serve dual purposes as a (3) channel playback system and also as a Home Theater playback system which means choices have to be made since the requirements for both of these can be at odds with each other in some ways. A home theater system for the most part has the ambience information in the recordings themselves and benefit from less room reflection envolvement where as stereo playback systems can benefit from the listening rooms reflections if used properly to create a sense of envelopment. Marion has plans in the future to build some diffusion devices which will be beneficial with stereo reproduction in his listening room I believe.

So now the reason behind the additional (4) Jub LFs being used in the region of 25Hz to 55Hz with Active DSP capabilities. All rooms have resonate/modal issues as well as LF leakage especially at the lower frequencies were the walls, floors and ceilings themselves can vibrate all of which cause problems for the listener or listeners. Being able to do High Resolution DSP EQing in this region can make for a much more accurate reproduction system than would otherwise be possible in many rooms. If any of you have read Floyd Toole's book were it covers the issue of bass reproduction below 80Hz and the use of multiple subs and the benefits that can be obtained by this method I can confirm that in Marion's room this use of multiple LF sources to smooth and control the low frequency reproduction does work. All listening positions in Marion's room have benefited from a much smoother and balanced low frequency reproduction with better clarity in both Home Theater and Analog Stereo LP reproduction. To highlight again this method allows Marion to have his pure analog LP reproduction chain for his (3) main channels with the benefit of DSP control of multiple LF sources for improved bass response for all the listening positions in his room. Another important side benefit with the flexability this brings to Marion's system is the ability to create several programs were the level in this region can be adjusted in say 1db steps in an area were I have found many recordings vary greatly due in large part to no standards in making, monitoring or editing recordings exist.

mike tn

So has Mike Beaser changed his mind on active versus passive since his visit? Big Smile

Hey trouble maker[:D] ........read my previous post and you will see I'm slowly working Active DSP technology into Marion's system although he is only giving me the 20Hz to 55Hz for now. [;)]

Oh by the way you need some good DSP based Tone Controls if you want to hear many recordings the way they were ment to be heard...![;)]

Now see what happens when you poke me..![:D]

mike tn

So has Mike Beaser changed his mind on active versus passive since his visit? Big Smile

Thebes all kidding aside I'll tell you listening to Marion's LP playback system does give me an old itch from the past when I also listened to LPs. Great LP recordings can really connect me with the music...!

Turntables, Arms and Album Covers are like works of Art to me and I always loved reading all the liner notes about the recording.

mike tn

Close up of the crossover network.

I always thought those would make beautiful wall hangings. Congratulations on such a dream system Marion, I know you worked long and hard to collect/build/hook up all that gear.

@ MikeB - I got Burlesque last week and watched it three times. The sound is incredible, the performances way over the top.

Michael

I always thought those would make beautiful wall hangings. Congratulations on such a dream system Marion, I know you worked long and hard to collect/build/hook up all that gear.

I had the same thought. Does that mean we've got some sort of addiction? Are not quite right in the head? Or my explanation we understand not only the beauty of complex highly technical speaker balancing / crossover / passive equalizing networks or "That's a speaker thingy?!?" to the less enlightened masses? That's my explanation and I'm sticking to it. lol

@ MikeB - I got Burlesque last week and watched it three times. The sound is incredible, the performances way over the top.

I knew I should've took our oldest daughter up on her offer of her Netflix copy before she sent it back ... but too busy to watch a movie with figuring out taxes and other stuff. Still haven't watched or even listened to the recent DVD given to myself of "The Concert For George" from another forum member.

Thebes all kidding aside I'll tell you listening to Marion's LP playback system does give me an old itch from the past when I also listened to LPs. Great LP recordings can really connect me with the music...!

Turntables, Arms and Album Covers are like works of Art to me and I always loved reading all the liner notes about the recording.

mike tn

It's just a matter of time my friend. The day is coming, I can foretell it, it's written on the wind. Vinyl is in your future, or is it your past?

Yes I already know about the coming frantic calls, "ya got some Bessie, some Tull, just a hit or two of Robert Johnson, and do ya have some Procol Harem. I'm good for it, I really am. But I want the real stuff now Thebes, not those re-issues that have been making the rounds. So can ya fix me up? Really! "

I think I'll start you off with a taste of Michelle Shocked.

Amazing!!!! So then how do you deal with the upgrade bug???

Ha ha, that's a great question. Yes

Easy , 3 KPT-MCM-4-T Grand Cinema Speakers for the front 3 , flying Jubilee's all around , probably going to need adding one of those Danley Cineamonster things into the mix and of course a bigger room :)

Amazing!!!! So then how do you deal with the upgrade bug???

Ha ha, that's a great question. Yes

Easy , 3 KPT-MCM-4-T Grand Cinema Speakers for the front 3 , flying Jubilee's all around , probably going to need adding one of those Danley Cineamonster things into the mix and of course a bigger room :)