Heresy HIP

Does anybody have info on this speaker? Is it a standard Heresy woofer? Cabinet volume and port size? Response graphs and crossover? I have a set of 85 Heresy which I would like to add the metal trim to, a vent and crossover adjustments might be worth while too. Thanks for any info on this. Best regards Moray James.

there are different versions of the HIP. The HIP with metal trim (some have plastic corner bumpers), and the slot port on the bottom (some have no port and some have two circle ports on the top), use a k-42 woofer instead of a k-22, it uses a k-55-m mid instead of the k-55-v, the crossover is more like an AA crossover with taps compensation than it is a type E xover. The vent slot, has a shelf like a cornwall.

Speakerfritz: I have been searching since I posted and see that the HIP rolls at 100Hz so a sub would be manditory. I think Dave's (gothover) refex design looks like a good compromize but that loses the easy portability of the Heresy. The thought of the extra efficiency is very nice though if combined with a sub. But I think If I were to go that route I would opt for a different woofer with higher efficiency that would still get me into the low 60's as far as bottom end range goes. More money so I have to put that idea on the shelf for now.

I would like to know if the metal trim used on the HIP is available anywhere? It looks great and serves a valuable purpose for a party speaker which will get hauled around. Thanks for any leads regarding the metal trim. Best regards Moray James.

the 60hz goal is not even realized in the LaScala with out a rolloff. The low end is primarily a result of the enclosure. A sub woofer would be my rcomendation.

the corners are not to be found. They can be faricated, but that is a labor intensive process that would costs more for the 16 corners than it would to buy a pair of one piece lascala with metal trim and migrate the corners and the trim to the HIPs. The blade to cut the aluminum stock with out burrs is about 150, the propane and ox torch another 50 bucks, the aluminum brasing rods mixed for aluminum another 50 bucks, plus the costs of the angle stock, assuming you had a powered mitter saw and a table mounted router with a sanding drum.

I was just signing on to ask other HIP questions that are kind of related.

Mine are the black commercial textured, have the metal circular inset woofer grills, slot ports, no metal corner guards etc.

They're pretty much mint.

Was thinking of adding speaker post mounts on the bottoms for stand use.Are you going to be pole or stand mounting yours?

Do you or anyone else think this mod (or corner guards) would be foolish as far as retaining value as being in original condition?

Or does practicality trump collectabilty for these?

What sub would you use? I'm thinking both small PA for vocals and occasional party speaks also.

What woofer is recomended to get to 60hz?

Would a tweeter or mid comp driver upgrade be in order to get them up to date with modern equivalents as well or fine as is?

Hope these questions are helpfu andl along the lines of your inquiry as well,Thanks Terry

A lot of early HIP's had EV woofers, later they had the K42. HIP is ported, HI is not. Plastic corners are KP201 (like H II with industrial clothing), KP250 was heavy duty woofer and ported.

I've lined em all up before and had a good listen with some other Forum folk. Ported makes em louder but sacrifices low end. A standard Heresy has more LF than a HIP or KP250.

Michael