New amp(s) for RF7 MKII

Wim M

It's already been a while since my last post, and I haven't been able yet to make some time to get to the Parasound store.

But meanwhile, the other dealer (the NAD guy) just made me another proposition: a Rega Cursa 3 (pre amp) combined with 4 (yes, four) Rega Exon 3 (monoblock, 125W@8Ohm).

Tomorrow, here in Belgium, summersales will start.

What do you think about this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Denon 3311ci, and the Rf7II, of course, but without sub, there's no a lot of bass.

What are my options? around U$S1000... preamp?

I want more power without distortion and more bass.

Thanks!

I realize that this is the 2-channel forum, but if you watch movies and/or listen to multichannel music I would spend that money on a sub and cross your system at either 60 or 80 Hz.

I have a Denon 3311ci, and the Rf7II, of course, but without sub, there's no a lot of bass.

What are my options? around U$S1000... preamp?

I want more power without distortion and more bass.

Thanks!

As for your bass problem: I would add a subwoofer.

As for your distortion problem: I would add a seperate power amp to power the RF7II's. This way you take away a lot of stress off your denon, and will make your surround and center speakers sound more relaxed(=less distortion). Though the RF7II's have a high sensitivity, they really like heavy poweramps.

You can also experiment in relocating your speakers, changing distance to walls,...

...As for your distortion problem: I would add a seperate power amp to power the RF7II's. This way you take away a lot of stress off your denon, and will make your surround and center speakers sound more relaxed(=less distortion). Though the RF7II's have a high sensitivity, they really like heavy poweramps...

I was looking at the specs of the Denon 33XX series vs the 43xx series and it appears the former isn't rated to drive speakers with low impedance dips, whereas the latter the OP could get by in a smaller room and sending everything below 60 Hz to 80 Hz to the sub. I agree he could probably benefit from an external amp... Fwiw, The Denon AVR 4806 drivesmy small Klipsch Library Home Theater excellently at the SPL I enjoy. (listed below)

I was looking at the specs of the Denon 33XX series vs the 43xx series and it appears the former isn't rated to drive speakers with low impedance dips

Definitely not recommended. Red line is performance into 4 ohms with a 20V output (100 watts). Performance above 1kHz is abysmal. Unfortunately Secrets didn't test lower voltage levels; however, that'd be enough for me not to recommend it in the $1500 class.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2009/november-2009/Denon-AVR-3310CI-Receiver/denon-avr-3310ci-receiver-thd-plus-n-vs-fr-large.gif

...What pre do you recommend? ($1000-$1500) thanks

I'm not sure what you are asking, but if you are looking at preamps does that mean you already have an idea what you want to use for separate amplification and is that included in what you want to spend? {EDIT: or are you thinking about connecting an external amp to your Denon?}

• 2 weeks later...

Although I am not completely sure how much similar is the RF-7 II to the first make, I have the RF-7 since 2008. Initially I used an emergency amplifier from Yamaha (AX-570) which made the RF-7 sound very harsh and flat. But then after a few tests with some other amps, amongst others some valve amp that I do not recall the name and the Arcam FMJ A38, I stopped testing after having tried the LFD integrated LE Mk III. I bought that one as it is a perfect match for my RF-7's!! The sound is very musical and liquid, to me meaning that it does not stick to the loudspeakers, but really comes into my living space. I even had people asking me whether I have a surround system hidden somewhere. Also it provides me a fabulous deep and fast base that surely pumps my stomage like in a live concert (yes, I do live concerts frequently). And the beauty of the combination is, that with the RF-7 you do not need all that heavy weighting power, just muscle speed will be mere than enough to get all the soundpressure going. When my volume dial starts at 7 o 'clock, I hardly need to run above 9 o'clock. Once, OK maybe twice :-), I tried 12 o'clock position where my windows almost seize and all stuff in the room comes down. But OK, that is occasional fun. The beauty usually remains in the way the music is converted. That is just awesome! I am pretty sure this amp from LFD will also be a good match for the RF-7 Mk II. Just try to find your nearest dealer and ask for a home demo of the LFD, just like I did. Pretty sure you will enjoy that.

P.S.: recently also tried a Trigon Energy on the RF-7s. Really nice, but missing that fluid space that feels like tube amps and the base did not go that deep with so much pressure either... LFD wins again.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Upgraditis:

I changed my signal cables from standard to Supra EFF-IX. The interconnect between P5 and A21 is the balanced version (XLR) of the Supra.

Speakercabels are upgraded from standard copper to Totem Tress cable. Speakers are bi-wired.

Power supply also Supra.

Now I find the horns on the 7's sound fairly harsh, does anyone have experience on fixing this?

I already experimented with some things: putting extra carpets on the wooden floor in our living room, spikes on and off,... Horns still sounded harsh.

Upgraditis:

I changed my signal cables from standard to Supra EFF-IX. The interconnect between P5 and A21 is the balanced version (XLR) of the Supra.

Speakercabels are upgraded from standard copper to Totem Tress cable. Speakers are bi-wired.

Power supply also Supra.

Now I find the horns on the 7's sound fairly harsh, does anyone have experience on fixing this?

I already experimented with some things: putting extra carpets on the wooden floor in our living room, spikes on and off,... Horns still sounded harsh.

I own the RF7 II's not the 7's. I have used them with 2 different speaker cables and 2 different amps. They are finicky speakers that can be harsh. By finicky, I mean that even though sensitive, they require current/power, and and even with powerful amps they will not automatically guarantee the speakers best performance. So patience, trial and error is required to find the right amp and speaker cables that will give you what you hope for from them. I also recommend tone controls or an EQ in front of them too. I tend to think the 7's may be similar.

Edited by Codyred

• 3 weeks later...

Problem solved!

Apparently it was just a matter of giving the Parasound amps time to break in. Unbelievable, what a difference, super sound!

I also tried an EQ, but now I think the 7 II's sound at their best without EQ.

Within a few weeks I have a demo at home with the Palladium Subwoofer. Does anyone have experience with this one?

Very curious how it will blend with the RF 7II.