Vintage Klipschorn Help

khorndog

Mike,

Please get more photos of the cabinets, especially the bass bins. Do you have a camera that you can't also use to order pizza?Wink

I'm not yet convinced that these are DIY. The widow's recollection of "some assembly required" may be consistent with factory built.

A tardy welcome!

Turns out these are Georgian bass bins... what are your opinions of the design in comaprison to PWKs?? I understand EV and PWK were in bed together in the early 50s so...?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, from the info I have, K-horns were offered by klipsch as a kit in the '50's for a very short period of time. The kits typically had the "A" bass bin, correctly stated by Mike as "Georgian" bins because this was the size purchased by EV from Klipsch when EV were "in bed with Paul". I have an original set of "A" style blueprints. I don't know if the current production bin used in "B", "C" and "D" k-horns were ever offered by Klipsch in their DIY kits.

Klipsch did factory make "A" style bins as well. It's unclear to me whether they put them into production K-horns or whether they were used for custom request builds such as the pair I have. I have a pile of literature, prints and such from Klipsch that Paul gave my father, if interested I can paw through it for something more conclusive regarding factory DIY kits and the relationship between production, custom and kit bass bins.

So the question above: what are your opinions of the (Georgian) design in comaprison to PWKs?? is slightly off target in that the design in the Georgian bin IS Paul's design, manufactured in the Klipsch factory and sold to EV specifically for the Georgian effort. In my opinion, the "A" bins sound very close to the current bin. I have my "A"s as FR and FL, and my '53 factory "B"s as SR and SL. All 4 of these vintage khorns have the same driver, the Stephens Trusonic 103LX2. I also have a "newer" ('78's) set of k-horns so have been able to do a lot of side by side comparisons. The "A"s have tighter bass IMHO as would be expected from the slightly smaller cavity. Punchy and forceful. Very clean without some of the mud you can get from having your khorns positioned incorrectly. But it's all so subjective and very close as to be almost imperceptable. Maybe I only think I hear a difference.

As I mentioned to you in the private conversation Mike....."congrats on your vintage khorns". These are the real deal, I have no doubt.