Listening Modes

kde

Isn’t pcm better than bit stream? I thought I read that if you can run both always go pcm the size is bigger isn’t it?

And I guess I’ll have to look but I have the old 60 fat ps3 I could swear I can do 1 or the other (bit stream/pcm) ??

Please; if you can..... look and let me know as I am considering an old PS3 used in the near future.....

Thanks!

Isn’t pcm better than bit stream? I thought I read that if you can run both always go pcm the size is bigger isn’t it?

And I guess I’ll have to look but I have the old 60 fat ps3 I could swear I can do 1 or the other (bit stream/pcm) ??

Please; if you can..... look and let me know as I am considering an old PS3 used in the near future.....

Thanks!

I think I’m wrong

• Moderators

Guess it depends on what article or thread you read. This article suggests PCM. Some other threads I've read say Bitstream. Here is the way I look at it. The best method is determined by whichever component can decode the best. If a bluray player does a better job at it, then you should set it to PCM. If your receiver does a better job at decoding, set it to Bitstream. If you have the Fat PS3, you don't have a choice. You have to use PCM.

When I first purchased my PS3, I looked through countless threads on it trying to find out what settings I needed to change to allow my PS3 to bitstream. What I found is that it can't.

Either way, one of the two components has to decode the data. To me, either method should sound the same unless as I mentioned, one has a better "decoder" than the other. Guess the only way to know is to try both and see if you can hear a difference. My guess is they will both sound the same.

Guess it depends on what article or thread you read. This article suggests PCM. Some other threads I've read say Bitstream. Here is the way I look at it. The best method is determined by whichever component can decode the best. If a bluray player does a better job at it, then you should set it to PCM. If your receiver does a better job at decoding, set it to Bitstream. If you have the Fat PS3, you don't have a choice. You have to use PCM.

When I first purchased my PS3, I looked through countless threads on it trying to find out what settings I needed to change to allow my PS3 to bitstream. What I found is that it can't.

Either way, one of the two components has to decode the data. To me, either method should sound the same unless as I mentioned, one has a better "decoder" than the other. Guess the only way to know is to try both and see if you can hear a difference. My guess is they will both sound the same.

That makes sense i kind of went through same thing when I got an avr with the new modes. Thought I read it was bigger (pcm over bit) can’t recall for sure very possible was someone’s opinion and not a fact based article.