Speaker level adjustment

m00n

I don't have a db level meter yet so I don't know exactly how well my system is balanced. However, I have suspect that my surrounds are going to need to be cranked rather high to get them balanced out. This is because of the hight and how far appart they are.

If, for example when I am adjusting my system, if talking my surrounds all the way up to 10 does not balance the sound, that would mean I would have to take the center channel below 0 right?.

If I have to take my center and main channels below 0 to balance the surrounds, will that have a bad impact on overall sound quality of the system?

Thanks all.

------------------

Internet Software Engineer: Will code for HT upgrades.

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>

Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Moon,

It does not matter where on the scale your speakers volume settings end up as long as they are all balanced with each other. The balanced relationship between the speakers will remain regardless of where your main volume control is set. When balanced, where the settings end up have no affect on the quality of the sound.

However, I would try to balance the speakers out in a way that you do not have to place any of them at the maximum input volume, ie: +10. Some receivers will clip the input signal at their maximum settings. For example, if the surrounds will only balance at +10 when the other speakers are at 0, I would suggest setting the surrounds at +5 and lowering the other speakers to -5.

You really should get a Radio Shack SPL meter. You will not achieve the proper balance by ear. IMHO the meter and a disc with test tones are the best tweaks you can buy. They are invaluable for properly setting up speakers and subs. And they are about the least expensive as well.

Hope this helps.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Bang & Olufsen Beosound 9000

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

This message has been edited by Kevin S on 04-21-2002 at 05:09 PM

Hey thank guys. Your tips do help.

Now, that I just got chewed on by the wife, I need to ask if there are tweeks you can make that keep the volume when watching TV/DVD what ever at more of a constant volume rather than low and all of a sudden some action seen happens and everything rattles in the house from the explosion or what ever. Can that even be done?

Thanks all.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>

Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

mOOn,

Until you get that spl meter, try this:

1) Check the sensitivity of each speaker (the center and/or rear will likely be slightly different from the fronts) and adjust the sound level to account for that difference.

2) Next, use the diagram attached (I downloaded this from the Dolby site) and after measuring exact distances between speakers, adjust the levels according to the grid.

This should give a reasonable adjustment. However, you will certainly need the spl meter to get it perfectly right, because that will work on the basis of sound emanating from the speakers, i.e. will take everything (cable length, quality, room accoustics etc.) into account.

as for your last inquiry, there should be a "compression" or "dynamic range" setting on your receiver, which will do exactly what you want. it should be adjustable, set it at the highest level for the most noticeable effect. even then though, I don't know whether it'll be enough for your wife!

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Hey again, that guys! I really appreciate it. cwm32.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>

Microsoft XBOXc>

f>