Ports/passives front or back?...

I am curious to know if anybody hear has actually gone to the trouble of experimenting with vent location. So identical cabinet with vents on the front compared to vents on the back of the cabinet. I would imagine that at the frequencies which the vents are active the wavelengths are such that it should be a six of one or a half dozen of the other situation. Klipsch has moved from one to the other with seemingly no real preference. They have put passives on the front and on the back side of cabinets. Anybody done the deed and listened to the difference. What's your favorite vent /passive location? Your comments and thoughts would be most welcome. Best regards Moray James.

It's a small sample, but the djk ported bass bin La Scala mod has been done with ports in front, in the back, at the top and at the bottom with similar results. Similalry, single driver rear loaded horn designs have the outlets front, back, side, top, or bottom.

I kind of think that there is a lot of latitude for placement at these frequencies though room boundry affects could come into play. I have a friend with a set of ESS/Heil AMT1d which run a front mounted 10" woofer and a real mounted 10" passive. In his room they must be almost 3 ft. out into the room for the bass to work. My Forte ll in the same room with a front firing 12" driver and a 15" rear mounted passive have to be right up within inches against the front wall to work, go figure? I have a pir of KLF 20 speakrs to which I plan on cutting matching twin vent holes into the front of the cabinet then build four tight fitting plugs. That way I can easily switch the vents from rear to front and see what I think. Don't hold your breath but I will post the results when I finally get it done. Best regards Moray James