Record store day tomorrow

The Dude

i don't go often enough, but i did go at lunch today and picked up a bunch of used cd's, stuff you can't get either at a regular stores or on amazon, etc.

let's get out and support these guys, you'll find stuff that's dear to your heart, i guarantee..

what are you going to buy, well if I get a chance to stop by my local independently owned record store I might have to look for some of the singles that are released just for tomorrow.

just saying.

duder

I just wish there was still a record store in this area! When I first moved here some 18 years ago, there was no less than FOUR record stores - three in the mall and a small, independent one downtown. All of them are now gone. There was another one up in DC that I used to like to go to all the time, but alas, it is also gone. The only place to get CDs/records around here is in places like Best Buy or Walmart. Unfortuantly, those places typically don't carry the music that I am interested in (mostly sticking to the big mainstream artists from the major labels).

Perhaps (and I've been wanting to do this anyway), in the spirit of "Record Store Day" I'll go order a few albums from Nightmare Records, which is a small, independently owned label. Basically a one-man shop. I just so happen to be really good friends with the owner, Lance King and will do anything I can to support him. It is the next cloest thing to the small, independent record store itself. I've been wanting to get the new Mindflow album anyway (plus he still owes me a copy of the new Seventh Wonder album as well - will have to bug him about that one [6]).

I can remember many Saturday mornings at the record shop. Saturday afternoon was spent spinning my new LPs. Pink Floyd, early Chicago, ELO, ELP, my older Hendrix albums, what great sound came out of my early stereo systems. Good times.

Last year the stores were packed with people. RSD is really turning into a big thing, if you go out today it should be busy.......it's like going to a bar on New Years eve.

Last weekend while I was at my favorite little record store they told me last year was their busiest day ever in 20 years, so it's a good thing for small independent stores.

Yep, going to "Records and Tape Galore" is my way of spending a rainy Saturday morning. Same store in the same location celebrating over 35 years of business. Printing off my album list and getting ready to go!

Here is a nice write up on the store:

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2010/02/post_39.html

Geeze, what was the chance I would be there for an interview!

How I wish we had a record store that was actually worth a d[8]mn in this area - still lament the loss of Blue Dog Records that used to be downtown. Well, I ended up doing the next best thing and ordered several albums from a small, independent label - Nightmare Records:

This is what I ended up ordering:

Quantity Name SKU Price Subtotal
1 Twinspirits "Legacy" 6419922002988 $10.19 $10.19
1 Black Majesty "In Your Honor" (Ltd Edition Digi) + 2 Bonus Trks 884860024723 $11.89 $11.89
1 Innerwish "Inner Strength" 693723790220 $9.35 $9.35
1 Lost In Thought "Opus Arise" PRE-ORDER 7320470139462 $11.89 $11.89
1 Enbound "And She Says Gold" PRE-ORDER 7320470139455 $11.89 $11.89
SubTotal : $55.21
Shipping and Handling Fee : $5.20
Tax Total : $0.00
Total: $60.42

EDIT - For some reason the new Mindflow album did not make into that order, so I went and made sure it got ordered as well:

Quantity Name SKU Price Subtotal
1 Mindflow "With Bare Hands" Special Edition Digipak (Format: CD; ) 734923006312CD $11.89 $11.89
SubTotal : $11.89
Shipping and Handling Fee : $1.73
Tax Total : $0.00
Total: $13.62

We still have one larger store here in Hannover. They have a nice selection of old and new records to choose from. Even the "normal" stores are starting to cary albums, but starting at 25 to 30 € it is a little expensive.

We do however have a secondhand store where you can get one album for one euro. You have to take some time though to search and you cant try them out.

The sale in our area started at 8am. Weather was rainy and in the 30's, but the place was packed the entire time I was there from 9 til 11am. They had a fairly large selections of $1 cd's, three for $10, and two for $10. Brand new vinyl was about half off in the sale section, and there were some other cheap items like t-shirts & misc.

They always have a very nice selection of used cd's, and they were BOGO. This is a store I visit regularly, so I only ended up spending $40.

Another 2 hours later I finished other errands and drove five miles home in a nice little snow shower. Merry Xmas!

NP - TROUBLE - Unplugged

I'm fortunate enough to live an area with several Record Stores to choose from. As for those that carry new vinyl, I did get by Easy Street Records this morning and pick up the one thing that I absolutel HAD to have, an LP of covers by the Deftones:

http://www.deftones.com/news/2011/02/25/covers-exclusive-record-store-day-vinyl

It was extremely packed and now that I know what is available, I plan on going to other stores in town tomorrow. Here is the entire list:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

I also plan to hit up the used store in my neighborhood, Jive Time Records, tomorrow.

all of the music stores that werent independently owned closed up with the big mp3 wave hitting the scene, but the locals execpt one stayed in business, and that one only closed up some of there stores(Homers music used to have several locations only 2 one in omaha and one in lincoln) it mainly sales records now and some cds). But they get alot of new stuff in and want big bucks for them. the other 3 antiquarium, drastic plastic which used to be known for vinyl who now only sells cds for the most part, and the king of vinyl kingsville but they buy from people getting out of vinyl and estate sales and goodwill, they also supply the other 3 which of course they have this 1$ room with lots of great albums its like a vinyl grave yard you can spend days in there looking for albums.

unfortunatly I wasn't able to make it out today, and there were a few artist such as ac/dc, the boss and other releasing some old singles on vinyl just for today. Klipsch recently had a article about compressed music. I think things like this and youngster like me are what the music industy needs to keep good sounding tunes spinning.

excuse the por grammar and spelling I had a great night at bowling and family and friends were involved.

duder

We still have one larger store here in Hannover. They have a nice selection of old and new records to choose from. Even the "normal" stores are starting to cary albums, but starting at 25 to 30 € it is a little expensive.

We do however have a secondhand store where you can get one album for one euro. You have to take some time though to search and you cant try them out.

I was stationed in Hessisch Oldendorf from 1978 - 1982 (Air Force), and bought many an album at the local record store in Hanover. I'll bet I bought 100 albums from that place during that timeframe. Many of them German pressings, which I think very highly of. That brings back some nice memories.

Mike