Pictures of another 'nother Bass Reflex Mod

BBQ

Attached are some pictures of my recent Bass Reflex Mod built using knowledge gleaned form these invaluable forums and posters such as, but not limited to soothe, Marvel, Alk & GotHover. Also much thanks are due to my father in-law doing all the dirty work. With these bins, a pair of Fastrac horns, Crites tweeters, and some ALK Unis my LaS sound brilliant. In fact, pound for pound, I much prefer them to a pair of Genesis 5.3s I recently auditioned. Well that saved me $16k. HA!

Before we get to the speaker nudies, I have a question. A friend who also upgraded to Dave's Fastrac horns, would also like some reflex bins after hearing the huge difference they made in my system. What he'd like to do, thinking at first from a purely asthetic angle, is shorten his now surplus, stock LaScala horns and use them for the ports. While I think that would look really cool I'm not sure how it would work sonically. Do you think he could get away with using the same basic dimensions (ft print of the LaS and 4.8 cu ft bin) and maybe cut the stock horn down to 5-7"? I tried to mess around on a few port calculators but found quickly that I was out of my depth. Thanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Guest David H

Looking good. Nice tidy setup.

Do I see a Jolida JD9A in your setup?

What he'd like to do, thinking at first from a purely asthetic angle, is shorten his now surplus, stock LaScala horns and use them for the ports. While I think that would look really cool I'm not sure how it would work sonically. Do you think he could get away with using the same basic dimensions (ft print of the LaS and 4.8 cu ft bin) and maybe cut the stock horn down to 5-7"? I tried to mess around on a few port calculators but found quickly that I was out of my depth. Thanks.

The idea here is confusing, I think he would be better off opening up the bass chamber into the dog house and using a pair of port like you used rear firing.

On my Lascala's I used the additional volume of the dog house, but added a smaller square port box below, fashioned into a stand.

post-24405-13819640272324_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Dave, thanks for the compliment and that is a (retired) JD9A you see. Not sure how desireable a pair of rear firing ports would be. I tried rotating my ports to rear fire and prehaps due to the corner placement I lost all definition and detail in the low bass and was left with low-end mud akin to beefy and blurry thrust of a Bose. We've seen your very tasteful port/stand work and have discussed going in that direction as well.

Also, I'll mention the idea of porting the topside and flipping the speaker. Not sure he'll go for it as it kinda defeats the symmetry he's chasing and will most def eff up his stereo field.

I guess we could fashion a cheap test bin using MDF and experiment with the horn length by shorenting the K-401 bit by bit. It's a caveman's approach but given how useless I am with the various port calculators I've fumbled with that is essentially what I am.

• 5 years later...