Klipsch and tripath

cubdog

Does anyone drive their Klipsch speakers with a tripath amp? I'm currently using my HLLY Tamp-300 and a Yaqin MS 12B pre with a pair of CF3s. I'm thinking about getting some R-7IIs to use with the same amp, pre combination. I'm a big fan of tripath amps. They sound great with Klipsch speakers IMO.

cubdog

I'm a very, very big fan of t-amps and Klipsch Heritage speakers. Currently using a pair of these with my La Scalas:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

Outstanding sound for very little $. My tube amp has been disconnected for 6 months now.

You may also enjoy David Kan's review in 6moons a few years ago of the Trends amp and Klipsch speakers.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10_3.html

post-28879-13819640753366_thumb.jpg

I am curious to know what you think about the mid and especially the top end of your CF-3? The CF-3 crosses over from the woofers to the horn at around 750 Hz while the RF7 Mkll crosses at about 1250 Hz. I am interested to hear what you think about A) the higher crossover point and B) the smaller horn of the RF 7 Mkll. Thanks for posting. Best regards Moray James.

• Moderators

I am pretty happy with my Dayton T amp. I run it with some Heresys and it does a great job.

It was the cheap one I had, after listening to Dee talk about it, it died but it did very well for about 2 years and was used with something like a LaScala. It was well worth the price and I had even looked at the better models but never did anything.

I did like the sound and will probably get another one day.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also a big a fan of tripath amps. And similar to some experiences, I have made a partial transition from tube amps because of them.

I currently run Klipsch Synergys out on the covered porch with the Dayton 30 watter pictured in this thread. Very nice sound, decent power, but a little bit lacking on the top end (just a bit). In my main system, I run my upper horns both front and rear with Super T amps with upgraded stand alone power supplies. Once I heard them, it was no turning back.

Carl.

It work ok for me in the short term but after several months a found it lacking. I would however like to triamp or biamp with the tripath and see how that works out.

Same here using a hifimediy.com TK2050, 80(?)W T-amp. Just didn't have the oomph to get the bass out of my Quartets, but the top end was so nice I was inspired to try a passive bi-amp scheme.

It was very straightforward to split the woofer section out from the crossover to another pair of binding posts. Pulled out my trusty Soundcraftsmen A2502 to feed the woofers Both amps have input attenuators, so SPL balancing was easy.

It would be an understatement to say I was happy with the result, more like plumb giddy. My system bangs with authority or warbles oh so sweetly and everything in between depending on what it's fed. That was maybe 4-5 months ago, but wait - there's more.

Since then I've gone from a homebrew tube-out DAC and Emotiva USP-1 preamp to a Grant Fidelity TubeDAC 09 set up with the volume pot controlling the line outs. At first I was running off the tube out to both amps and didn't notice much difference from my homebrew DAC , on which by now I had installed a volume/balance control and running it straight to the amps. The TubeDAC has an opamp line out as well, I wonder what'll happen if I run the woofer amp from there......

Hot damn! You talk about uptight and outtasite bass? I've got it. I'm unsure how this can help the mid/high section sound better, but it sure seems to. Sound is verrrry good from top to bottom, hard to turn off.

Just can't seem to leave well enough alone, though. I'm presently working on a stereo 2-way active crossover built on a an Elliot Sound Products board for a hybrid active/passive crossover scheme..........

Still at it in Harrison, AR.

I have a very cheap T-Path amp which I picked up on ebay. It sounded amazing on my Fortes, but not so good on my CF3's. It's very clean and OK for lower volume listeneing, but when I stomped on it the little mother couldn't produce the goods. No thump. Of course my benchmark is a 200 wpc sledgehammer, so probably not a good comparison, or comparitor. It alsosounded good on my brothers Chorus IIs, but not as good as his regular amp.

But for the size and price.....its an amazing device.

It now lives on my boat and drives a small pair of bookshelf Klipsch just fine. I had significant interference issues using a traditional auto amp and the T-Path eliminated 99 percednt of it. I use an ipod with lossless recordings for source. I probably lose some quality and volume / fullness due to the lousy signal, but it's still a great improvement over what I had.

Parts Express is only 20 miles or so from my house and I am sorely tempted to try one of these amps to hear for myself. It would be fun to compare it to the 20 watt tube amp driving my La Scalas. Maybe next time I go up to Dayton...[:D]

Just as a followup to my previous comment. If you want to try Tripath chips, It is important to take advantage of the more powerful Tripath chips now present in some of the better amps, e.g. >30 watts. Unlike the super-cheap T-amp units we've all seen, the more powerful Tripath chips (TK2050 & TA3020) mated with adequate power supplies are need to get the necessary "authority" to drive the sound we expect. Also, T-amps are much better with higher effeciency speakers, especially horns. My belief is folks with less effecient speakers and low power T-amps don't hear what I hear with my LaScalas. The gains in clarity and crispness are exceptionable and nothing is lacking from the bass.

FYI Tripath has been out of business for several years and eventually their NOS product will be depleted from the marketplace.