CD selection for evaluation of base in speakers?

Taz

Was at CD store today and wanted to buy music which would allow me to compare base on different recievers and different speakers. Salesman took me right to the rap selection. I would prefer something that I can enjoy. Prefer not to listen to Rap or Disco. I do enjoy Rock, Country, Blue grass or most anything else. Suggestions would be welcome. Willing to make list and try a few, 4-5 albums, or maybe more.

Thanks in advance, John

iirc this thread has been done already. Anyways, i like Holly Cole's version of 'Train Song' from Temptation album. Also, song 'Avratz' from Infected Mushroom's album 'Converting Vegetarians'CD2 has great bass.

That's what i like anyways, i am sure there are literaly hundreds others

If they sell used CDs, Fanfare for the Common Man on Telarc's Appalachian Spring CD (CD-80078) if you can find one (amazing bass drum); Telarc's 1812 Overture (CD-80041) if you can find that (actual cannon shots!); the title track from John Adorney's Waiting for the Moon CD; and Madonna's Something to Remember CD. All of these will give the bottom end a workout that you won't believe!

If you're familiar with pipe organ sound, get a CD or two of E. Power Biggs playing Bach.

For how far down the system goes, get a CD with the Bach Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, as the opening goes down to the bottom pedal C. That's usually good for 32.7 Hz (16-ft pipe) or even 16 Hz (32-ft).

One of those CDs should be good to show off the entire bass range, and how smooth and seamless it is up into the middle range.

JMHO

Larry

Was at CD store today and wanted to buy music which would allow me to compare base on different recievers and different speakers. Salesman took me right to the rap selection. I would prefer something that I can enjoy. Prefer not to listen to Rap or Disco. I do enjoy Rock, Country, Blue grass or most anything else. Suggestions would be welcome. Willing to make list and try a few, 4-5 albums, or maybe more.

Thanks in advance, John

99fe9833e7a0af6a859b2110.L.jpg

Don't miss out on this CD!, July 9, 2000

By
Belafan "Belafan1" (Sunrise, Fl United States)

This review is from: Flight of the Cosmic Hippo (Audio CD)

This is an early example of one of the most innovative bands in
existence. If you only like to listen to bands that you can categorize,
skip this CD. These four amazing musicians combine the best from all
genres to make the best music possible. This CD is all instrumental.
Bela Fleck plays the banjo and electric banjo in ways you have only
heard if you're familiar with this artist. He is amazing! Victor
Wooten, in turn, plays bass in new and amazing ways. He will astound
you. Howard Levy plays piano and harmonica (often at the same time)
and gets an outrageous range of notes from a simple diatonic harmonica.
You have to hear it to believe it. Finally. Roy Wooten (aka Future
Man) provides percussion in a completely different way. He has built a
synth-axe drumitar which he plays flawlessly. You'll believe you are
listening to real drums, but it creates other effects as well. If you
don't have this one yet, by all means don't hesitate! Buy it now!

I really think you would enjoy this one.

Dennie

Guest David H

I often use Tracy Chapmans "Devotion" on the Telling Stories CD.

Norah Jones bass in "The Fall" CD is stong, but not my favorite.

Lindsey Buckingham "Out of the Cradle" opening cut "Dont Look Down" Sounded amazing on ported Lascala's

Sade's new CD has abnoxious bass, which is a shame, because a couple of the songs had potential.

Dave

Fanfare for the Common Man on Telarc's Appalachian Spring CD (CD-80078) if you can find one (amazing bass drum); Telarc's 1812 Overture (CD-80041) if you can find that (actual cannon shots!);

That's a good test to see if you can bottom the bass driver. Also play the Eagles live album, if the bass is too much, it's being played right. If it sounds good...the system doesn't have enough bass. I always finish with ELP Lucky Man. Good subsonics on that cut.