Quartets

billben

Hello everyone, I am failrly new to this forum and to klipsch all
together. I own a pair of quartets and am wondering why it seems they
dont get the love on this site as some of the othe heritage speakers (
hersheys forte....) I love these speakers and cant imagine why anyone
who owns them wouldnt as well.

I know these dont have the power as say the corns or chorus but how are these comparable to the hersheys of forte II?

I own a pair of quartets and am wondering why it seems they dont get the love on this site as some of the othe heritage speakers ( hersheys forte....) I love these speakers and cant imagine why anyone who owns them wouldnt as well.

Billben,

The Quartets don't seem to get as much "love" as the others mentiond because ownership is not as widespread. The Chorus I(87-89), Chorus II(90-96), Forte I(85-89), Forte II(90-96) were produced for more years than the Quartet(89-96). The Heresy(I, II, III) is even more widespread with them being produced from 1957- present.

I will assure you, those that are fortunate to own Quartets will tell you they are keepers.[8] Even though I think the Fortes are one of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard, I would probably sell them before my Quartets if it came down to it.

The Quartets do have the love, just not by as many people.[{]

Bill

they don't seem to get the love partially because they were made for a then seemingly short amount of time...(Quartets started in the "II" era, are Tractrix and not Exponential and in the Forte' II, Chorus II time)...not true Heritage (like Heresys) they are sometimes termed extended Heritage... they seem rarer to find but lately it seems everyone has them...I believe they are very close to Forte' IIs and also similar to Heresys but with far more bass when properly placed...I have a pair and enjoy them very much but my Chorus IIs have that 15" woofer that just seems to sound like more...still...I enjoy Quartets...

Bill

I agree, those who have heard and own quartets, love them. My idea on how much they are loved is you rarely see them for sale. They are great speakers. I love mine so much. They would be the second to last pair to go. The big brother Chorus II will never leave my possession.

I kinda figured that, I was just curious because you dont really hear about them too much. It sure would be nice to find a pair of chorus, or even a pair forte II. Anyone looking to sell I would be more than happy to take them off your hands lol.. Thanks again.

I just got a pair of Quartets recently as well. I really enjoy them tremendously. They are the only speakers I've tried in the past 10 years that prompted me to replace my KG 5.5. They are in my HT right now and I put them up higher using some 17" stands and removed the risers. These are definitely keepers. After never finding any available for a long time, I've seen 3 sets for sale locally on CL since i got mine just a couple months ago. They seem to be offered in the 300-350 range.

P1000932b.jpg

At $300-$400, they are definitely a great deal. If I had made a quick sale on my Forte 1s, I probably would have bought a pair and spent more money on something else. It seems every time I do sell something, I spend whatever I made and more for other things. This hobby is no good. But Quartets are a great speaker and a great deal when you can find them.

These speakers seem to be hit and miss. I could not find a pair for a long time. Chorus and Forte 1 and 2s came up every so often. Now I go to sell a pair of Forte, and craigslist Chicago has two pairs of quartets, two pairs forte 1, one pair of forte 2, one pair chorus 1, one pair chorus 2. But if quartets can be had for heresy prices, I recommend them very highly.

It seems to me that Quartets can be had well UNDER Heresy prices. However, I feel they are a much better speaker! When I had a pair of HIIs here last year in my system for a weekend, I was dissapointed - even with a subwoofer. I almost gave up on these old 3 way speakers, but glad I gave the Quartet a chance.

I just recently got my brother a pair of Quartet's from a member here. We just dropped a pair of KLF 20 woofers into the Quartets. This did require some adjustment with a router to the existing rebate. The KLF 20 woofer motor is exactly the same size as the motor on a Forte ll K-25-K woofer only it is driving a ten inch cone instead of a twelve inch cone. We are also installing some bracing and stiffening to the Quartet cabinets. The Quartet with the KLF 20 woofers are now very close to my Forte ll but in a slightly smaller cabinet. Quatet's are a fine speaker but the new woofers take them up a notch into Forte territory. The diaphragms are all Titanium now which is also a significant improvement, crossover upgrade will likely be next year. Will post pictures of the upgrades as soon as all the install work is done (all the bits and pieces are cut to size). Best regards Moray James.

• 13 years later...

I miss my Quartets so much! Bought them new in 1990 and had to sell them in 2006 as they were just too big, and too loud for the house we were living in, and the ages of our kids, at the time. They sounded so pure with my Denon receiver. If I ever get a man-cave one of the first things I'll be doing is trying to replicate that old stereo, starting with the speakers!

• Like 1