Finally, an RF-7 Owner!

SuBXeRo

im having a tough time deciding which i like more. The 5's seem to have more of a seamles transition between tweeter and woofer with the highs being more neutral. The 7's have a very open sound but the highs seem a bit more harsh and a bit more separated from the woofers. Its a really tough decision, I dont know which to keep! I mean, i think i'd be happy either way but coming down to it, its a very tough decision.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised that the differences are marginal in the space you're in now. You can't take advantage of the 7's ability to fill a large space better. I'd keep the 7's because they will seperate themselves in a larger future space that you might have.

Yes I absolutely love my RF-5's, they are an overlooked gem. For me the RF-5's just sound wonderful for both music & HT and I love their size also for me it is just right, large but not overwhelming. I bought mine new back around 2002 and they sound better than ever.

I know you have concerns about a sub because of where you live but I think you should keep the RSW-15, it really is an excellent sub and you can use it where you live now just keep the subs volume turned down.

Also I remember I told you this before, the RC-7 is an excellent center and it blends flawlessly with the RF-5's. I am sure you are liking that improvement as well.

Whichever main's you decide to keep RF-5 or RF-7, the RC-7 and RSW-15 should be keepers. Both the RF-5 and RF-7 are great whichever you decide. Also try the RF-5's with the sub, I think you will really like that combination! [;)]

The rf-5 has the standard 1” horn right? Vs the the upgraded horn of the rf-7?

They both have an 8 inch horn, but the 7 has a 1.75 inch tweeter and the 5 has a 1 inch tweeter and of course the 7 has 10 inch woofers, the 5 have 8 inch.

I have sold the RSW-15 today for 700. I have put the rf-7s up on craigslist and i think i am keeping the rf-5's. The rc-7 and rs-7's are also staying which means i have 8's all the way around! I look at the future and i say to myself, i really dont think i "need" the 7's. I weighed the pros and the cons and my ears tell me that the rf-5's make me the most happy. I also look at it that when i do get a sub down the line it will most likely be two and should supply a very sound bass foundation. If i do that, i am toning the bass down on the left/right channel anyways or just keeping them on full range. Either way its a win win in my eyes. Not to mention the size of the 5's are much more managable.

The RC-7 matches rather well with the rf-5's. I just athed star wars clone wars tonight and the rs-7's really showed well, they are a huge upgrade IMO from the RS-3's. The RC-7 is a bit bolder sound wise but nothing overwhelming and an upgrade i am happy to have.

I look at it this way, many brands have their flagship speakers with 6"-8" woofers and produce fantastic sound. The rf-7's are extremely reactive for their size woofers and have very accurate bass but just dont sound as lively to me in comparison to the rf-5's.

On a note of the subwoofer, i wish i could have stored it but i gotta meet a breakeven point and selling the sub was a large part of getting there. When i do have theopportunity to get a sub it will most likely be from a different brand than klipsch. It will also most likely be a 15". I would like to try the emo 12" or hope they make a 15" one day. I got time, i wont be able to get a sub probably for the next 3 years or so at minimum...thats along time to keep an rsw-15 in a cloest in an apt with space being a necessity.

I have decided to keep my eyes out for a good pair of rb-5's so i can eventually get a 7.something together. But, that all depends on price and if i make my bottom line on this project.

Hope you at least got to try the RSW-15 with the RF-5's, a very nice combo!

When you do get a sub I have found that my RF-5's and RC-7 sound best set at 60 hz, I use 70 hz on my surrounds but the RS-7's may like 60 hz, systems and tastes vary of course but be sure to give these a try.

Also don't be so fast to get rid of one of the pairs of RS-7's for RB-5's, I run 4 RS speakers in 7.1 and love the way it sounds. I had bookshelves in the rear before but I like the RS much more.

I was a little surprised that you found the RS-7's to be a huge upgrade over the RS-3's but then I realized you are not using a sub so the extra bass in the surrounds probably would make quite a difference since that bass can't be redirected to the sub. I do like the idea of having 8 inch speakers all around.

Hope you at least got to try the RSW-15 with the RF-5's, a very nice combo!

When you do get a sub I have found that my RF-5's and RC-7 sound best set at 60 hz, I use 70 hz on my surrounds but the RS-7's may like 60 hz, systems and tastes vary of course but be sure to give these a try.

Also don't be so fast to get rid of one of the pairs of RS-7's for RB-5's, I run 4 RS speakers in 7.1 and love the way it sounds. I had bookshelves in the rear before but I like the RS much more.

I was a little surprised that you found the RS-7's to be a huge upgrade over the RS-3's but then I realized you are not using a sub so the extra bass in the surrounds probably would make quite a difference since that bass can't be redirected to the sub. I do like the idea of having 8 inch speakers all around.

Not running a sub changes everything. To give a good review of any speaker in a 5.1 or a 7.1 system is going to be so different without the sub. I’m a little surprised the 7s didn’t blow you away I haven’t had the old ones in my home but I have heard them and love the sound. I haven’t heard the rf-5s though and in a small room with no sub and the volume never to loud being in an apartment I guess I can see you might not see a lot of upgrade. When you are using a sub or subs and in those parts with lots of bass the better speakers are going to cut though better and sound better though out the movie and they won’t get drown out by the sub or subs.

Not running a sub changes everything. To give a good review of any speaker in a 5.1 or a 7.1 system is going to be so different without the sub. I’m a little surprised the 7s didn’t blow you away I haven’t had the old ones in my home but I have heard them and love the sound. I haven’t heard the rf-5s though and in a small room with no sub and the volume never to loud being in an apartment I guess I can see you might not see a lot of upgrade. When you are using a sub or subs and in those parts with lots of bass the better speakers are going to cut though better and sound better though out the movie and they won’t get drown out by the sub or sub

The RF-5's and RF-7's are both great speakers and they both need a very good sub to be able to keep up with them, they definitely do not get drown out by a sub. I also choose the RF-5 when considering between the 5 & 7 and have never regretted it at all.

I've had 3's 5's 7's 83's 20's all in my house at the same time.I suppose in a smaller area the 5's may in some way be comparable to 7's.Under certain restrictions 5's may be prefered, although in two different rooms I found no comparison.In a larger area the 5's are not comparable, the 7's simply outperform in every way,imo.

I only note this because anyone reading this thread should not misunderstand and think 5' and 7's are about the same.I f someone prefers the 5's to 7's that's fine, to each their own.

I've had 3's 5's 7's 83's 20's all in my house at the same time.I suppose in a smaller area the 5's may in some way be comparable to 7's.Under certain restrictions 5's may be prefered, although in two different rooms I found no comparison.In a larger area the 5's are not comparable, the 7's simply outperform in every way,imo.

I only note this because anyone reading this thread should not misunderstand and think 5' and 7's are about the same.I f someone prefers the 5's to 7's that's fine, to each their own.

I guess that would have been my guess also but since I hadn’t heard the rf-5s I didn’t want to assume. My room is pretty small 12x26x8 and I sit about 12’ from the speakers so half the room is behind me. When I upgraded from the rf-82 to the rf-7ii the upgrade is huge in every way possible. I guess every room is different though, and I think sometimes we can get comfortable with what we have and for some people different (even if better) can seem off not saying that’s the case here

thanks for the great comparisons guys! I still have them, they havent sold and i went through the same thing when i upgraded from the 3's to the 5's and the upgradesonly showed long after i switched. Room definitly has alot to do with the sound and what i have is certainly not ideal for things. It sucks, what a terrible decisiont o have to make! I do think for music, the rf-5's are so much better at all volumes. The rf-7's pick up and sound better at higher volumes with music and are great for movies, they do have a lot of impact.

god now i am back tot hinking i should keep the 7's!!!!! RARBLE!!!!!!!

edit:
Girlfriend says to keep the 7's if its beneficial later when our listening space is larger....go figure that one!!!

Don't get rid of the 7s, you will regret it later. I had a Referemce 7 system back in '04-'05 and sold it off because I thought it was too much for the space I had. Once it was gone I kept kicking myself in the rear for that decision. I think with the right gear the 7s sound great at any volume too.