Grado..

Paragon

Yep.. I finally got them.. Grado SR-325. Well.. They are all that I have been listening to today. Still considered new, hardly broken in and they sound great. Even from the box they were nice.

Anyhoo.. to post what I said I would when I got them. They work fine through the CP-1 and my PCDP as well

Looks like my Promediua will be getting a rest for a while.

so then there is enough power through the control pod to provide great bass? this was the problem I was afraid of with some Sennheiser's. So, which would YOU get? I am only going to get the Sennheiser's, so no Gradifying me Smile.gif I like Sennheiser's a lot. So, the

Sennheiser EH2200

eh2200.jpg

Frequency Response 12 - 22,000 Hz

Transducer Principle Dynamic

Nominal impedance 64 ohm

Characteristic SPL @ 1 kHz 106 dB

THD < .3%

Ear coupling Circumaural, Closed

Weight (without cable) 4.9 oz

Connector 1/8 inch stereo mini jack plug with adapter to 1/4 inch stereo jack plug

Connection cable 3 m single-sided copper cable (OFC)

$129

Or

Sennheiser HD 570

hd570.gif

Frequency Response 18-22,000 Hz

Transducer Principle Dynamic, open

Nominal impedance 64 ohm

Characteristic SPL @ 1 kHz 95 dB

Load rating 100 mW

THD < 0.2%

Ear coupling Circumaural

Contact Pressure Approx. 2.5 N

Weight (without cable) 7.4 oz

Connector 1/8" stereo mini jack plug with adapter to 1/4" stereo jack plug

Connection cable 10 ft. detachable single-sided OFC cable

$149

Sennheiser HD 495 Silver

hd495lr.gif

Transducer Dynamic

Ear coupling Supra-aural, open-aire

Frequency response 17 - 23,000 Hz

Characteristic SPL @ 1 kHz 106 dB

THD <0.2 %

Nominal impedance 32 ohms

Connector 1/8" stereo mini-jack w/ 1/4" adapter

Connection cable (detachable) 10 ft. single-sided, OFC copper

Weight (without cable) approx.4.2 oz

$89

Interesting about the weight differences... But that means little to nothing to me, except the heavier they get, the more expensive so there must be something there Smile.gif like better drivers and more powerful magnets and whatnot.

So, of the three, which would you get? I returned my SONY's, paid 200% of the MSRP for them at Fry's, made me too angry to order them online haha.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

go to www.headphone.com

they have the 2200 on sale for 50

as for your selection, they are all going to be nice. mind most those senns are 64ohm

ya.. what i would pick.. would probably be the 570 cost aside. Dont go too much on numeric freqresponse. The best thing to do is find a place to audition them and see what ya like

However, you may like the lighter weight and at the sale cost, the 2200 may be for you..or not.

anyhoo.. left hand is tired.. l8r

my first choice was the 570. I think I will go with my gut instinct on this. 64 ohm resistance means that Here is what the V=IR equation gets me... V=32I would mean to get 64 volts of power, I would need 2 amps, and to get 64 volts of power with 64 ohms, I would need 1 amp... haha, what is up with that? I must have something messed up here. How it should work is the higher the resistance, the more amps needed, right?

So, lets turn it to I=V/R, I=V/32, vs I=V/64, so yes, half the power. If only I could find DanF's info on the control pod... But we want watts right? actually milli watts. So we turn to this equation, P=I^2R, which we got from P=IV and V=IR, substitute the V in P=IV for IR and you get P=I^2R, so we want 100mW, or .1 watts, so .1=I^2(64), divide by 64, you get 0.0015625, square root it and you get 0.03952 amps are required. So, just gotta remember the watts to amps equation.

Well, lets look at a different equation. P=VI If I need 100mW's of power, .1 watts, that is .1=VI, .1=(j/c)(x c/s)........ i think that is the equation i need to work haha. Coulombs, the definition of fun!

edit, i see some typos here, just don't grade my physics Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 04-22-2002 at 11:41 PM

Paragon, have you compared them to the hd-600s on a good amp. I've read conflicting reviews so I'd like your opinion if you have. The thing that amazes me is that you can buy a hd-600 cable upgrade that seems to help the overall sound a lot, but is like $170. The speakers run for like $240 on ebay.

Sennheiser HD600 pure aural bliss thats all I need to say I got them because of a fluke actually, I dj for a hobby so I ordered a pair of sony mdrv600 to replace teh mdrv700s Ive had since they developed the crack of death, so I ordered the headphones from etronics for $50, when the package arrived I opened it and to my surprise I found a pair of nice new sennheiser hd600 circumaural studio monitor headphones they are teh best thing to grace my ears since music itself

Technical Data

Frequency Response 12-39,000 Hz

Transducer Principle Dynamic, open

Nominal impedance 300 ohm

Characteristic SPL @ 1 kHz 97 dB

Load rating 0.2 W

THD Less than or equal to 0.1%

Ear coupling Circumaural

Contact Pressure 2.5 N

Weight (without cable) 9.2 oz

Connector 1/8" stereo mini jack plug with adapter to 1/4" stereo jack plug

Connection cable 10 ft. detachable dual-sided OFC cable

The HD 600 is an audiophile quality open dynamic hi-fi/professional stereo headphone. The advanced diaphragm design eliminates standing waves in the diaphragm material. The HD 600 can be connected directly to hi-fi systems of the highest quality, in particular DAT, DCC and CD players. This headphone is an ideal choice for the professional recording engineer recording classical music.

btw the velour earpads are so nice

Yo Paragon,

I got a pair of the Grado SR325s too. I would have to agree that these babies are nice. I would recommend at least 60 hours of burn in before you will realize their full potential. Also, I purchased the Creek Headphone Amp and have it connected to my Audigy sound card. Sounds very sweet! Overall, a nice way to give my Promedias some needed rest.

------------------

"IN FOOTBALL, I ROOT FOR THE OAKLAND RAIDERS, BECAUSE THEY HIRE

CASTOFFS, OUTLAWS, MALCONTENTS AND F#CKUPS. THEY HAVE LOTS OF PENALTIES, FIGHTS, AND PAYBACKS AND BECAUSE AL DAVIS TOLD THE REST OF THE PIG NFL OWNERS TO GO GET F#CKED! SOMEDAY, THE RAIDERS WILL BE STRONG AGAIN AND THEY WILL DIP THE BALL IN SH!T, AND SHOVE IT DOWN THE THROATS OF THE WHOLESOME, SH!TTY, HEARTLAND TEAMS THAT PRAY TOGETHER AND DON'T DELIVER LATE HITS"

-GEORGE CARLIN 1996

Yeah.. tehy already sound sweeter than when I first tried them..seems like the bass comes thru more.. real nice

I will be building a nice amp over summer.. prolly pocket size.. with alot of current so the bass should be even better.

I think this past week I have only really used the Grado.. Even in gaming. 'cept this morning I had the Pros on while I got done.

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

my first choice was the 570. I think I will go with my gut instinct on this. 64 ohm resistance means that Here is what the V=IR equation gets me... V=32I would mean to get 64 volts of power, I would need 2 amps, and to get 64 volts of power with 64 ohms, I would need 1 amp... haha, what is up with that? I must have something messed up here. How it should work is the higher the resistance, the more amps needed, right?

So, lets turn it to I=V/R, I=V/32, vs I=V/64, so yes, half the power. If only I could find DanF's info on the control pod... But we want watts right? actually milli watts. So we turn to this equation, P=I^2R, which we got from P=IV and V=IR, substitute the V in P=IV for IR and you get P=I^2R, so we want 100mW, or .1 watts, so .1=I^2(64), divide by 64, you get 0.0015625, square root it and you get 0.03952 amps are required. So, just gotta remember the watts to amps equation.

Well, lets look at a different equation. P=VI If I need 100mW's of power, .1 watts, that is .1=VI, .1=(j/c)(x c/s)........ i think that is the equation i need to work haha. Coulombs, the definition of fun!

edit, i see some typos here, just don't grade my physics
Smile.gif

Justin:

You also need to take into account the efficency of the headphones.

In the end, its best to read online reviews (www.audioreview.com) and see what headphones are reccomended for portable/computer use. You could also alleviate the problem and buy a headphone amp, and achieve pure audio bliss ;-).

Again, I've got HD-535's. Very nuetral and revealing headphones. They are very true to the source, so poorly recorded MP3s will sound horrible. On the plus side, its great to hear nuances in the music, especially live music.

Jonathan

quote:

In the end, its best to read online reviews

I feel it is best to try them out, if you like them keep them, if not return them. Different people hear things differently.

That is true what you say about the efficient nature of the speakers. Klipsch speakers are very efficient. What took 60 watts to do on a Mirage OM-5 speaker took only 40 watts on the Klipsch RF-7

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

I feel it is best to try them out, if you like them keep them, if not return them. Different people hear things differently.

That is true what you say about the efficient nature of the speakers. Klipsch speakers are very efficient. What took 60 watts to do on a Mirage OM-5 speaker took only 40 watts on the Klipsch RF-7

Very true.... I'm a firm believer that the only oppinion that counts is my own and those of trusted friends Smile.gif.

I usually read the personal reviews @ AudioReview.com to look for potential product problems (ie, does a product have a common failure?) -- info you usually can't find in profession/magazine reviews. When reviewing headphones, AR.com was useful to find out which ones will/won't work in a portable environment. AR.com isn't a substitution for my own personal testing, but rather a good way to get long-term user oppinions.

Also, Headphone.com is making a tour of the US... its a great way to test out headphone/amp combos. They've got a lot of Sennheiser models in stock, including some of the newer models in the 400-Series.

I'm probably going to pick up a pair of HD-457/477/490s tonite... I need a cheap pair of headphones for work.