RF42 or RS52

BorderCollie

I am going to purchase new rear speakers to go along with my rf 82's and rc 62, I know that the rs 52's is the speaker that goes with the package, but I can get the rf 42's for a lot less money, and I know that a lot of people on this forum use floor standing speakers as rears, and I'm wondering if I will regret going with rf 42's just to save a few bucks... Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help....

-BC

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to purchase new rear speakers to go along with my rf 82's and rc 62, I know that the rs 52's is the speaker that goes with the package, but I can get the rf 42's for a lot less money, and I know that a lot of people on this forum use floor standing speakers as rears, and I'm wondering if I will regret going with rf 42's just to save a few bucks... Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help....

-BC

I’ve owned all 3 rs-42 rs-52 and now rs-62ii I would recommend the rs-52. Great speakers keep up great with the 82s and sound amazing the 62s are the best but 52s are almost as good.

Before I bought my RS-35's, I had a pair of RSX-4's(4 inch woofer) as surrounds with my RF-63/RC-64 combo. They held their own very well for HT and pretty good for all channel stereo. I am sure the RS-42's sound much better than my RSX-4's. I do think if you jumped from a pair of RS-42's to the RS-62's there would be a dramatic difference. With all that said, the RS-52's are better no doubt. Go with what you can afford now or save a little more and get what you want.

Bill

i have the rf-82ii, rc-62ii, rs-52ii, rb-61ii (sw-112 x 2) in a 7.1 setup. the rs series produces a MUCH wider sound stage then my rf / rb series speakers, in a 7.1 home theater setup, rf / rb for surround backs make sense. in a 5.1 set up i think the rs series is the way to go for the surround channels if they are on the side walls. use rf / rb if your surrounds are behind your sitting position.

• Moderators

Border, are you able to place the surrounds on the sides? As mentioned, in a 5.1 system, you want the surrounds to be some form of wide dispersion (like the RS Series) and placed slightly behind your listening area on the side walls.

In the days of Dolby Prologic, we placed direct firing speakers behind us on the back wall and fired them directly at the listening area. For a 5.1 HT, I would even go with the RS-42 instead of the RF-42 if money is a factor and you don't want to get the RS-52's.

• Moderators

If you decide to go with the RS-52s, I have set for sale. They are in mint condition, hung high on the wall. I upgraded to RS-62 to better match my new RF-7s.

I'm definitely pleased with the performance of my RS-52's with my RF-83 system. They definitely have no problem keeping up with the front soundstage.

the rs are going to disperse the sound much better and should give you an overall better experience and dont forget the placement will be so much easier, the rs52s are pretty remarkable speakers given their size, im betting you can find used sets very reasonable and shipping isnt bad either, even 62s used get very reasonable ;)

Sorry for my delayed response. Ive been out of town the last few weeks... But after reading I am sold on the rs over the rf.... I am interested in the set for sale... Will pm shortly... Thanks for all the help... Since I only have space for 5.1 I can really only get them on the end tables on the side of he couch...

If you decide to go with the RS-52s, I have set for sale. They are in mint condition, hung high on the wall. I upgraded to RS-62 to better match my new RF-7s.

I'm definitely pleased with the performance of my RS-52's with my RF-83 system. They definitely have no problem keeping up with the front soundstage.

Even though I love the rs-62ii (I like the new grills) and I did get a good price on them I probably should have just stayed with the rs-52s they really are all anyone needs unless you have a really big room. The money I spent would have been better spent somewhere else imo. Also I sold the rs-52s to a friend for practically nothing. [:$]

• Moderators

I probably should have just stayed with the rs-52s they really are all anyone needs unless you have a really big room. The money I spent would have been better spent somewhere else imo. Also I sold the rs-52s to a friend for practically nothing.

Often it's the law of diminishing returns.

I probably should have just stayed with the rs-52s they really are all anyone needs unless you have a really big room. The money I spent would have been better spent somewhere else imo. Also I sold the rs-52s to a friend for practically nothing.

Often it's the law of diminishing returns.

Yea no regrets just being honest might help the next person save some money. When I upgraded from the rs-42 to the rs-52 it was imo a huge upgrade. And don’t get me wrong the rs-62iis look and sound amazing so if anything it shows just how good the rs-52s are. Every other upgrade I’ve made in the reference line was a pretty big noticeable change that was probably the only exception. But I bet if I listened to 5 channel music I would notice I bigger upgrade though.

You also need to take into account what type of owner you are. I knew when I found something that did the job, I'd use it for 20 years or more. With that philosophy, the extra money I spent on the RS62ii was hardly a concern. For guys that like to swap out equipment often, the 62's would be too rich for my blood.

For reference, I'm in a huge room and needed side surrounds to keep pace with a pretty capable system at. They have no trouble! They're built into my side columns and will not see the light of day for many decades!

What is a good price on a pair of used RS52? Assuming that they are 100% perfect with original boxes... I'm having trouble finding a good baseline.

Thanks.

I believe someone on this forum was asking $550.00 recently for what you are describing. That's a good baseline. Over $600.00 is too much in my book. $500.00 or less is something to ****** up. Of course it's all relative. It can sometimes be difficult to find surrounds as people tend to hold on to 52s even after an upgrade. If you are patient, I would imagine you could find them at a suitable price.