If you could choose any Mcintosh Amp to run Klipschorns, which would you choose?

My choice of amp is limited to currently available models of Mcintosh - long story!

Could be power (as using with Bozak dj mixer) or integrated.

Set up would be as follows:

Technics 1210 with Origin Live Silver Tonearms / Cayin CD player

EA Isolator

Bozak mixer

Klipschorns

Audioquest Colorado interconnects and Rocket 88 speaker cables

Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers guys!

Matt

For the power amp, I'd bet on the newly re-issued model of the Mc275 tube amp. It has 75 real watts per channel. It got a very good review in Stereophile within the last year or so. I heard the original on many ocassions in the late 1960s & early 1970s, on JBL S8s and Klipschorns, and it was probably the best I've heard to this day!

In the '60s, McIntosh took their time introducing solid state amps, and continued to market tube amps that made the solid state of those days sound hard and bad. . They provided a small cardboard stand-up sign for their retailers -- intended to be put in front of the beautiful Mc275 -- that read "When will solid state amps be as good as tube amps? When McIntosh makes them!" To my ears, they never reached that goal, but I must admit I haven't heard their recent monsters.

Picking from the models I have owned I would go 2105 or 2125. I know this was NOT a choice of answers but I feel that for full disclosure I should say that I sold all my Mc and choose a VRD amp BUT the Macs were close.

I have also heard rants about the old Marantz 8B's with these speakers.

The Marantz 8B was great. I think it was 8Bs I once heard A-Bd against a pair of Mc60s ... if I'm right, the Marantz may have sounded a bit "sweeter." I still like the Mc275, though, for its [allow me to be subjective] "umph," "authority," and "thereness."

Hi guys

Thanks one and all for your comments....

I owe you all an explanation as I'm actually now getting VRD monoblocks!

I bought some k horns on ebay and the seller offered to bundle in a Cayin A100T amp and a Cayin CD player. The price was good and the reviews I could find were ok but the combination just didn't sound good. Very harsh on the top end, not a lotta bass and lacking in any real tubey characterisitcs.

Anyway seller was insisting on an exchange, and he stocks Macs hence the thread...but I eventually talked him into a refund for almost the whole amount. Reason being the posts I've read on here about VRDs got my mouth watering and made me realise that I'd end up knocking on Craig's door sooner or later!

So thanks again for the advice and roll on July when the VRDs arrive. No amp in the meantime which will be tough, but should make it even sweeter when they arrive : )

Cheers

Matt

I ran my K horns on a MAC 2105 for several years- great classic SS amp- sounded great- no issues considering SS.

I now have VRD mono blocs- Holy %$$%%^- VRDs are the beginning and the end of audio excellence.

I searched for a year before finding an acceptable pre owned example.

Hope you are sitting down when those bad boys arrive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to mod those k horns with 2" wood trachorns horns and monster JBL drivers[6]

So thanks again for the advice and roll on July when the VRDs arrive. No amp in the meantime which will be tough, but should make it even sweeter when they arrive : )

I feel your pain! I have been without amps for my main system since Nov last. The good Dr. Craig has announced that my baby VRDs are to be delivered day after tomorrow. Darn, I can't look back right now; what pre-amp?

Me? I dream about bi-amping ALK's
extreme crossover with my 2A3 SET or VRD tube amplifier on mid and top end, and
either my Pioneer or Pass class A amplifier on bottom end. Can't go wrong with
Macs.

WOW - THAT was FAST. OP comes here wanting a Mac amp for the KHorns....which in and of itself isn't a bad way to go - and ends up with a pair of VRDs? How did that happen without me being here[;)]?

Now had we stuck to Mac, I would have recommended MC30s (midrange and tonality KINGS) or MC60s (midrange and tonality KINGS with added bass authority). These amps have all the desired traits for KHorns - sweetness, tonality, and tube rectified for that perfect attack and decay....and I wouldn't have said a WORD had you gone that route. The almost perfect, cannot miss solution.....

.....but you stumbled into THE PERFECT, CUSTOM MADE solution for KHorns, one of a select few that I would recommend alongside or over an MC30/60. In addition to being tube rectified, VRDs possess a superbly clear front end circuit, as well as a bass weight that presents a rare combination at that price. Manual bias is a distinct advantage too.

As an owner of two operating pairs of MC30s there are few amplifiers I would own otherwise. VRDs are one of those amps, which dutifully perform in excess of 40 hours a week here. The more I use them, the more they become irreplaceable.

So congrats OP - I think you're gonna like this.......[8-|]

• 3 weeks later...