Care and feeding of Cornwall III's

StevenM

I posted a question as to the best mating amplifier for Cornwall's, I was really asking the wrong question, it is the setup as a whole that determines the sound we hear. The curse of these speaker is they reveal everything, both the good and the bad. My amplifier (Luxman MB3045) was a fine amp indeed, it just needed new decoupling capacitors. A new set of caps from Audience was nothing less than transformative. Highly recommended. Along these same lines, I looked at my interconnects, they were late 1970's Monster Cables, while I'm sure I spent too much money, I realized improvement here as well, although not nearly to the extent recapping did. Lessons learned: Small changes can reap large rewards. Tube amps rule horn-loaded speakers.

AGREED.

I had similar work done on my MC30s (in fact an extensive experiment in caps for these amps was done, chronicled in my prior posts). All that evaluation and tweaking yielded similar transformative results. The big Heritage cabs absolutely benefit from all the preening of the signal upstream, and tube gears allow for the ultimate in customization to make this happen.