Will 3 Speakers hert my amp for center?

iDunno

I have a polk cs275, a old one with dual 5 1/4 in and a tweeter.

I have a pair of JBL Bookshelves with 4in woofter and tweeter that i had used for my rears but since i brought some new klipschs for the front i moved the old fronts to the back and ended up with a extra pair of speakers...

So i tried to find something to do with the old pair of JBLs, so i decided to connect them to my center for more sound...

I have them connected so one end of the wire is connected at the place where the wire from the amp connects with the cs275...and the other end connecting to 2 other cables which run to the pair of JBLS under my TV.

So the cs275 are on top of my tv and the pairs of jbls are at the bottom, they provide a effect that sounds like the sound is coming from the tv tube...

My question is, Is the 3 speakers connected to my amp going to hert my amp in anyway?

My amp is a Kenwood VR209 with DD no Dts and 100watts to each channel...i have bass on +10 and treble on +6

Thanks

i don't think that would hurt anything, not sure about herting anything Smile.gif j/k

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

It sounds like you have these 3 speakers hooked up in parallel (IOW, you could remove a speaker from the string and the remaining 2 would keep working, unless you are using the binding post/spring clip of one of them to physically connect the wires together, in which case of course that connection would fall apart if you unhooked the speaker).

If that's the case, you are dropping the impedance of the speakers that the receiver sees. If they are rated at 8ohms nominal, 2 speakers in parallel would present a 4 ohm load to the receiver, and 3 speakers would be somewhere around 2.7 (I think??) ohms. If you drive them hard, your Kenwood may shut off by not being able to put enough juice into them, because the impedance is so low.

Doug

------------------

My System

Disconnect the other two speakers from the center and use one center channel speaker, unless your reciever has another pair of binding posts to connect two CC's like the yammy DSP-A1. I really don't think that your Kenwood is designed to play at 2.5 Ohm. Instead of adding a whole troth of speakres to the center be sure that the center is aimed into the listening position. If that does not do it then its ok to turn it up a tad bit louder than the mains if you just have to have the center so pronounced.

------------------

MM

Heres a pic of my setup...the wire from the kenwood to the polk is 10 gauge i think...really really big...i thought it would help...

I have the fronts on +10 and the center on +10db and the rears on +10db also...and btw since the rears on my kenwood are weak also i hooked the preamp from the kenwood to my old kenwood 100w amp and used those as my amp for the rears...should i connect the rears to the new kenwoods and use the old kenwood for the center?

This message has been edited by iDoNtKnOe2k1 on 04-24-2002 at 04:27 PM

OMG IM SCARED NOW.

I just played pearl harbor chapter 23 somethin at about -26db on kenwood receivers and my kenwood just shut off and the power light was flashing...

IM DISCONNECTING THE CENTER SPEAKERS NOW

Pls tell me why my kenwood was flashing the standby light

It's like letting an engine run away, eventually it blows up. It sounds crazy, but in a way you're letting your amp overrun by not applying enough load to slow it down. The speakers impedence (ohms)provides a load for the amp to push through. Since you've got the three speakers wired in such a way to drive the ohms down, the resistance is less and your amp simply overheated itself trying to keep up. That caused the warning light to blink and the unit won't operate correctly until it cools.

Keep doin' that and it will break!