Looking for a very good sub for LaScalas

crd97086

I am wondering if anyone has found a sub that they just love with their LaScalas? I will be running it only from 50Hz down. It probably doesn't make a difference but I listening to mostly Jazz anymore, although I do still listen to some 'classic rock'. Thanks in advance.

Jazz and Classic Rock- not a whole lot of good info down deep anyway. LS bass not enough for ya?

I like my Klipsch THX system, use it with LS crossed overat 80. But I do a lot of movie and concert DVD listening. For music a lot of times I just shut off all the digital goodies and listen straight through to LS at full range, no eq no nothing.

I want the sound spectrum totally covered as I know how adding even an inadequate of amount of the extreme ends of the spectrum adds, amazingly, to the 'realism of the instruments as a whole. My livingroom is only 14' by 20'.

I may well find that I turn it off for most music, but at this point I want to make it the sound as good as possible. I gotta try don't I?:)

I'm using a pair of Danley DTS10's with my three LaScalas. I love it for my tastes and believe this to be a solution for me for decades with no temptation to change. My goal was mainly for reference level theater use down to below 20hz. Different than yours, but I believe they'd be worthy of investigation. It would fit in your budget as long as you bought before September. At that point, the kit will no longer be available.

Well, I don't have to mention it, you did!

SVSound makes great subs. Not just for the value, they are a great value, but musical subs. Sure most subs can do HT, but it takes more of a sub to do a good job with music.

When I bought my SVS (Back in the day, that is what they were called) I emailed Ron and asked his recommendation for a sub that was good for HT, but exceptional with music. He shared why he was recommending the one he did and assured me, if I was unhappy with it, to give him a call. I called him to thank him and let him know how happy I was with my new SVS Sub!

I would email SVSound and asked their opinion for your needs, they will be honest with you and treat you right.

Dennie

Ooo, I like Billy joe's suggestion, the Tuba would rule. Nothing like a horn loaded sub to match your 'Scalas.

As a budget suggestion, a pair (or three) of these would probably do you nicely:

http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub12.shtm

$499 each, shipped. Haven't heard them myself, but they are sealed (my personal preference), basic subs, and Emo has a rep for excellent value. I'm not sure you could do this well with diy kits for the price. Individually, one wouldn't keep up with the 'Scalas, but a trio of them probably would.

• Moderators

I have never heard any of the SVS, I have the smaller version of the DTS-10 the spud and my vote would be the DTS-10.

Or the Tuba, to me the sound of the folded subs sounds like a better match for the folded horns, and they have plenty of output.

I have never heard any of the SVS, I have the smaller version of the DTS-10 the spud and my vote would be the DTS-10.

Or the Tuba, to me the sound of the folded subs sounds like a better match for the folded horns, and they have plenty of output.

The 10's are sold out and discontinued. They still have the DTS-12's, the sealed version, for $599 on clearance. As with the Emos I suggested, it will take more than one to hang with the 'Scalas. I can't vouch for them personally, but it's the sort of thing I would seriously consider if I were in your shoes.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12nsd.cfm

Well with that budget I would consider the SVS PB12-plus DSP http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12plus.cfm Or you might consider the HSU ULS-15 with a smaller footprint http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls15.html GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH

Svs makes great subs and the pb-12 plus dsp is very nice, but for music I would recommend the Epik Empire (I have both) it’s a sealed sub with very tight bass, and a great value (800 vs 1350svs) I would say the svs is a tad better for ht cause it pushes more air at lower frequencies but overall for the money epik is a great value.

I would highly recommend an RSW-15 if you can find one for sale. For 20Hz on up, I have found them excellent for music. I previously used an SVS 20-39 PC+ for my LFE channel. At one point, I tried it for music but was not pleased with it paired to my Khorns. The RSW-15's are an excellent value and pair very well with the Heritage line. I cureently use two RSW-15s in stereo mode with my DBBs. I use two DIY tapped horns for the LFE channel.

Do your homework before buying. I have found that a sub that is great for LFE movie channel is not always a good sub for music. Another option for music is a Velodyne HGS-18.....if you can find one.

One of my customers built a pair of small horn subs called the "Unhorn" for his La Scalas. He has a separate amplifier and I think an active crossover for them.

Mark Kravchenko is the designer, and he tells me it's not a tapped horn, but I think it looks similar in the way it's made.

Greg

post-11090-13819641715418_thumb.jpg

One of my customers built a pair of small horn subs called the "Unhorn" for his La Scalas.

That's one wild-looking La Scala! Does it sound as good as it looks?

As for a sub, take a look at Paradigm. Their subs and speakers are well-made, good-sounding, and fairly priced.

One of my customers built a pair of small horn subs called the "Unhorn" for his La Scalas.

That's one wild-looking La Scala! Does it sound as good as it looks?

As for a sub, take a look at Paradigm. Their subs and speakers are well-made, good-sounding, and fairly priced.

I haven't heard them, but my customer says he's very happy with them. He loves the little subs too.

Greg