Rogers LS3/5A Did I score?

Fish

I picked up a decent looking, well made pair of bookshelf's today at a yard sale.I heard of Rogers but never had any first hand experience.I looked em' up on the internets and they appear to be rare.Ebay also confirms they are sought after.I plan on doing some searching but any info would be appreciated.I'd like to put up a picture but thought maybe I would clean them up a bit, rather dusty.

Also...they do work and sound very nice for the limited time I tested.

Yard sale? Sounds like a win for you, congrats. Two pairs on Audiogon now. These are considered classics by the British pipe and slipper crowd. Commonly used with Brit hi-fi kits like Naim, Rega and Arcam. Those components help bring out the dynamics which are the LS3/5a's biggest weakness along with a lack of bass, which one might expect given it's size and sealed design.

Thanks, I had not checked Agon yet.My set appears to be an early set, with everything original and in good shape, at least drivers and what I can see.They also have matching numbers ending in A and B.I'm startin' to feel real good about this purchase.

They sound like a nice pair. I'm not sure when Rogers first made the LS3/5a (Stereophile's first review of these is from 1977), but they still hold their value very well. The Rogers versions are also something like 12 ohms if I remember, the Stereophile reviews will have measurements. These are most popular over in the UK but there is a loyal following Stateside and most users will circle the Naim, Stereophile and Audiogon forums.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have prefered to sold to a member here.Although, I would have had no way of knowing the value of this set.That is part of why I posted, to get an idea from members who may know something about them.These type speakers may be worth $500 or $4000.Knowing little about them I had to let the market decide.Good luck in your search, ebay has had a pretty steady stream lately.