Internet Explorer 9

jacksonbart

Does anyone else think this browser is a turd? I have been a Wintel follower for years but I will call it like I see em. I used an Apple Mac system in college, but I need main stream now. Vista stunk and now IE9 is not good. Since then I have been using Firefox. Really bums me out. Bottom Notch!!!

I've been using IE8 since I upgraded to Windows 7 a few months ago and find it works well. I've been getting the requests to update to Windows 9, but I was waiting to hear if it's a better or worse browser to use.

Sounds like you don't like it at all. Have other folks had the same experience?

Thank you for the tip. I have been putting off installing the "important Windows update" which, as it turns out, is Internat Explorer 9. I'm happy with 8.06001.18702. [^o)]

For browsers, I like opera best for speed size and ease of use. There are some things that are not 100% compatible, but even those are at least 75% so.

My vote is for Opera!

• 1 month later...

Using IE 8 (for the Forum) and Safari for a lot of other sites......

(I had some issues with blowzilla, so I have not used it for over a year).

JB, what makes it "a turd'? I just want to get an idea if I should try it.... (Me; Windows 7 at home).

FWIW, I really like Windows 7; but you must have a computer that can do it properly. (Me: using Quad core AMD with 4 gb of memory).

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I use Firefox, Chrome

personally.

But, here are some special case

browsers.

Pale

Moon project:

Custom-built

and optimized Firefox-based browsers for Windows Operating Systems.

Version

3 on old systems

Windows

2000/XP/Vista/7, 32-bit or 64-bit

A

processor with SSE support (see list

of supported processors)

MB of RAM (128 MB or more recommended)

At

least 50 MB of free (uncompressed) disk space

I

also install Kylo

on HTPC's or for

old codgers that like a simple large view.

Thanks

to all the LCD and Plasma TV's more people are using the big TV for a

monitor.

Kylo

offers you:

Lots

of viewing space and
no visual clutter

Big

fonts and big buttons for
easy navigation from across the

room

An

easy-to-use onscreen keyboard

Zoom-and-pan

power that
brings every site into view

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Every tiem that I use IE on an older computer it slows it down, even after I close it out. I have to dump all off the temporary memory and it is a real pain. This even happned on a Windows 8 machine. No viruses so I don't know why, except that it is in MS's best interest to make computers get slower over time to force you to "upgrade" to a newer machine and their new OS.

I switched to Firefox and it is much faster and works well, except that MS outlook will not launch Firefox, so I cannot launch the internet from my emails. This really stinks because I need to regularly "unsubscribe" from junk email.

Anyone know how to fix this? I have to use outlook as I hahve years of emaisl and need to be able to organize them.

• Administrators

Every tiem that I use IE on an older computer it slows it down, even after I close it out. I have to dump all off the temporary memory and it is a real pain. This even happned on a Windows 8 machine. No viruses so I don't know why, except that it is in MS's best interest to make computers get slower over time to force you to "upgrade" to a newer machine and their new OS.

I switched to Firefox and it is much faster and works well, except that MS outlook will not launch Firefox, so I cannot launch the internet from my emails. This really stinks because I need to regularly "unsubscribe" from junk email.

Anyone know how to fix this? I have to use outlook as I hahve years of emaisl and need to be able to organize them.

Make sure Firefox is set as your default web browser In firefox, choose Tools>Options>Advanced and click the button that says "Make Firefox the default browser" . You can also fine-tune what it opens by default by going into your Control Panel in Windows and Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Default Programs. Choose Firefox from the left column and choose "Choose Defaults for this program". From there you can change the settings.

IMO, Google Chrome seems to be the best of the 3 major browsers in terms of speed and stability. YMMV though.

As far as IE, the web developer in me HATES IE for many reasons. However, they really have improved it with version 10+.

• Like 1

Make sure Firefox is set as your default web browser In firefox, choose Tools>Options>Advanced and click the button that says "Make Firefox the default browser" . You can also fine-tune what it opens by default by going into your Control Panel in Windows and Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Default Programs. Choose Firefox from the left column and choose "Choose Defaults for this program". From there you can change the settings.

IMO, Google Chrome seems to be the best of the 3 major browsers in terms of speed and stability. YMMV though.

As far as IE, the web developer in me HATES IE for many reasons. However, they really have improved it with version 10+.

Thanks.

THis is an XP machine. Under Internet properties, Programs, Default Web Brouser, it says "IE is not your default web brouser." The only option is to make it my default browser.

I have also set my default web browser to firefox and clicked "enable access" but Outlook still will only open IE (and it will not pull up web pages).

Oh wel, Support for XP expires next April. What do I do then? Probably Linux Mint.

• Administrators

I suspect there is a version-feature compatibility mismatch between Windows and Outlook. What a pain.

Windows 7 was and still is very stable. Are you able to upgrade to that? I think you can still buy that at various places online such as Newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Operating-Systems/SubCategory/ID-368

• Like 1