I have $3000 to spend on my entire home Theater... any ideas?

Rocknon

Howdy,

I am wondering what system I could afford for my home theater. I have a room approx 12' by 12' square with a large digital display monitor at one wall. I was wondering what home theater sounds system I could install for around $3000. It will be used for very little music so I am looking for best quality and value in a DVD/movie surround sound.

~Rocknon~ *newbie in need of aid*

Do you currently have an amp/reciever? I'll assume you do not. For that 3 grand, you just might be able to get a complete Reference Series 3 setup with a Denon AVR3802 and a KSW-12 subwoofer. That was about the same budget I started with, but ended up stretching things abit further by going with a REL Storm III sub instead of a KSW-12.

However, that just may be stretching your budget a bit. Given your room size (12x12) as well as your budget, you just may be well served by a complete Synergy series setup (SF-2s fronts, SC-1 center, SS-1 surrounds and perhaps a second SC-1 for a rear and KSW-12 subwoofer.) with the Denon AVR3802 receiver. Using the MSRP suggested prices as indicated in the products section of the website, plus about $1000 for the reciever, this will cost you around $3110 (including the reciever and a rear channel speaker). Keep in mind this is full MSRP. With some shopping around, you should do better.

If you don't want or cant afford the Denon, there are folks on here that find other receivers that work well, such as the Outlaw 1020 or Yamaha's RV-1200. Of course more money can be saved by doing without the rear channel (a cheaper reciever and one less speaker). Personally, I'd buy a reciever that has hookups for that rear channel(s) thus allowing an upgrade path for that rear speker(s) in the future.

These suggestions are based on you wanting to go all Klipsch. I would imagine there are other speaker packages from other manufactuers out there that will serve you well - I don't know enough about them to suggest them. However, for godsakes, do NOT get BOSE - unless you want to be sourly disappointed with the performance for the prices they demand!

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Another proud member of the "Klipsch Klub".

Many thanks for the advice Skonopa.

I will look into the "complete Reference Series 3 setup with a Denon AVR3802". As far as the Synergy system goes is the Synergy 6 System (package deal, 4 speakers & sub) the same as the ones you suggested but lacks the SC-1's as a rear and front channel? If so perhaps I could get that Synergy 6 package and add 2 SC-1's and a Denon AVR3802 to make a complete system.

~Rocknon~ *novice to the trade*

ok did a little more research back on the main page... looks like the SF-2s for fronts are different than those offered in that $999 Synergy 6 system. Question is it worth the extra money to get the SF-2s or you think I could get away with the Synergy 6 package deal for my 2 fronts, 2 surround, and sub? Then I would add front and back SC-1s and a Denon AVR3802 to complete the system at a good deal less cost. The closer to 2k I can get the better.

~Rocknon~

*has a mad other 1/2 for posting a 3k budget*

NA! Go with Harman Kardon AVR 520! Don't listen to skonopa. cwm27.gif.

Just kidding.

Actually, they are both very good receivers. I have had to ask many questions reciently about harman kardon in the forums. I was seriously considering moving to the Denon he mentions, but I decided to stick with Harmon even though it seems like less of an receiver, it's really not.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Go to ubid and buy yourself Reference RP3's with built-in subwoofers for $419.00/each right now. Add the RC3 and RS3's for $900MSRP (easily found much cheaper) and you have a system that smacks Synergy silly for 1838 (if you paid retail for the center and surrounds). Pick up the Outlaw 1050, which has outstanding sound, for less than $500 bucks and you spend $2300.

Later on you can add an external power amp to the 1050 and ultimately move into separates. Meanwhile, you have a system that kicks *** for home theater and music.

------------------

Home Theater

KSP 400's

KSP C6

KSP S6's

Yamaha RXV995

Music Room

Heresy's

KG4's

KSW200

The move to separates is coming, I can feel it.

This message has been edited by crash827 on 04-24-2002 at 06:56 PM

Well, I was just working with the same budget. Here's what I came up with.

Denon AVR-2802 - $620 shipped (with honored warranty...They'll pay to ship it if it breaks) @ absoluteaudiovideo.com

Complete Reference 3 II set - 1450.00 at Ultimate Electronics (authorized dealer)

Velodyne SPL-1000 - about $800 shipped (w/ warranty)

$2870.00

If you have 3000 you can upgrade the receiver here (or get a different sub. I love the velodyne, very, VERY accurate sub for the money).

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

That's a good price, dblue. But don't forget about one crucial, peice of the puzzle. You will need to save a little in your budget for cableing and speaker wire. I have Monster 12 gage on all speakers with bananna clips that I put on myself. It all seems to be nice. I also biwired my two mains and center with smaller Monster cable, don't remember what size exactly but it was what they recommended.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Rocknon, why not be true to your motto and get the most rock for your buck.

The key to a rockin' HT system is a great center channel and a great subwoofer. Check the "Center Channel" thread at http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?path=/main.asp?frame=y&id=&line=&1 for a look at the basics. Then check http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_25-31.htm for the most sub I've seen for under $600.

I, too, would squeeze out the bucks to get as good a Klipsch "Reference family" set of speakers... but, if you really are a rocker... finding some discontinued KLF-10's, 20's or 30's would make your day for price and performance like you wouldn't believe!

The outlaw is a good place to start... but you might look at Yamaha's discontinued RX-V3000... it's a $2k amp/preamp that has been pushed aside by newer models. I've used it to drive Klipsch top-of-the-line Heritage speakers and it rocks. I've seen them at "close-outs" for a low as $650.

Remember, nothing gets to your ear without going through a speaker... so if you stretch your budget anywhere... try to get the best quality speakers you can fit into your budget. Shop around, find a deal... you might be amazed at what you can find in great quality speakers that someone else has broken in and now will let you have for less than half price! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

So Ed,

I have heard mentioned a couple of times now breaking in speakers. Is that really true? I have never heard of that before. How many good 5.1 movies do you have to listen to before they are broke in?

Oh and one more question, that pic, is that in your house or a showrooom? If it's in your home, my gawd it must be incrdible.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-25-2002 at 10:42 AM

Thanks much for all the tips guys I will shop around. Starting to get a feel for what I need to look for. Looks like most of you suggested some nice klipsch for 2 fronts 2 surrounds and center, then pick up a larger sub not made by Klipsch. I will check out all the specific models you guys suggested. But is that basically correct get a nice Klipsch set for fronts surround and center (effects) and get my sub and obviously reciever elsewhere?

~Rocknon~

Rocknon, Klipsch has finally come up with some finer subwoofers in their RSW line... but their price tag would put a big dent in your budget. SVS is a small start up company made up of an enlightened group of bassheads that go out of their way to answer your questions... even if you are not a customer! Tom Vodhanel (sub designer and "V" of SVS) is a member of this forum, knows KLF-30's in his own home, and has always been a Klipsch booster to me.

m00n, there is almost as much debate over "speaker break-in" as there is about wire. Many high end speaker manufacturers "run-in" their products to insure that everything is as it should be. Many Klipschers have reported that their speakers seemed to improve over the first few months. However, there is an equal amount of speculation that it is their ears that are "breaking in" to the speakers... and not the reverse.

And yes, m00n, the pic is of my mother's home and, specifically, the HT room that I built for her to enjoy. I have been caring for her for the last six years... and the HT room has been a major help in keeping her 94 year-old mind active. An action adventure flick first thing in the morning really gets her circuits fired up for the whole day!

I retired now, but my showroom had a 60-seat theater with an 18' x 9' suspended screen, a $91k projector and a custom integrated pro theater sound system of my own design. It had custom matrixes to create a 7.1 sound system ten years before such a thing became a commercial reality. Ahh... those were the days.cwm32.gif

As Seb once said, "HornED is a maverick!" And, it is true... but fortunately I have been able to have a lot of fun and make a decent living being one.

We plan to move into new quarters this year in order to get past the increasing difficulty of stairs in the hillside home with its terraced garden (more stairs). In the new space, I will have more room for the Heritage music system and an even better acoustics potential for the HT room.

Since the motorhome was vandalized, I need to rebuild its sound system. I would like to find a quality 5.1 DVD player that could function without skipping as we motor down the road. 110 volts is no problem because I have both inverters and a generator run through a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) and two, really big, RV batteries. Any thoughts on building a better HT & multi-channel music system in the limited confines of a 30' motorhome would be most welcome. -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-25-2002 at 02:27 PM

Good Gawd! I hope my sons grow up to be as generous as you have for your mother! That is truly awesome!

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

From those of us who like the Heritage products, I would suggest the following:

3 pairs of Heresy's off E-bay (L/C/R/LR/RC/RR) = +/- $1500.00

1 HSU VTF-2 subwoofer = $500.00

1 Receiver (Outlaw, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, whatever)= $500.00

1 DVD/CD changer = $300.00

Tax & misc = $200.00

Total = $3000.00

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Bang & Olufsen Beosound 9000

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

I suggest you buy my personal system of speakers and save up for the rest...of course I'm a

little biased ;-)

For Sale:

I just became a HT dealer and must

sell other brands.:-(

$2300 takes it ALL

Mains: Forte's (black)

Sub: LF10 (works great)

Center: C-7 (black)

Side Surrounds: KSP-S6 (prof. painted light grey)

Rear Surrounds: KSP-S6 (white)

All in good conditon...especially forte's for their age.

Jon V.