I have a divorce pending....

Coytee

Not from my wife but rather, my work [:D]. It looks like I’m going to be making some career changes and perhaps geographic changes

I’ve been with Rob (partner at work) for 16 years. He’s a retired CPA and also used to work for the IRS in their criminal investigations department. He’s always full of interesting stories!!

Be it as it may… some things are changing for me and it looks like a change of work location is part of the package. To that end, I do feel more like this is a divorce than anything. I’ve seen his son go through high school, college (Rutgers) and now join us for the last handful of years.

It’s looking like we’ll be moving to Jacksonville, Florida. It wasn’t my first pick but it was a situation that strikes me as interesting and challenging. More important to me, there is the chance to grow in the firm.

I’ve had it pretty sweet where I am but in truth, we’re very small. I get to come/go as I please. If I want to blink my eyes and take a week off, I can do that too. Of course, the downside is nothing is paid for. No benefits, no medical, no “vacation pay” no nothing. If I leave then it’s coming out of my pocket. All operating expenses are hanging over our head each month. Want to spend $10K on an advertisement campaign...? have at it. If it pans out, great! If not, then I just pissed away $10K.

Fast forward to new situation…large company, chance for growth. Because of my background & experience they are bringing me in on a level which gives me 10 paid sick days per year and 4-week paid vacation. They have a pension plan in addition to their 401. They match 100% of the first 5% in the 401 which is a little higher than most I’ve seen. Their sick & vacation days are “use them or lose them” so that is effectively 6 weeks of time off.

I’ll probably move down there myself (without wife) for 6 months/year and simply rent a room somewhere as I get things organized. I don’t want to get into an official lease situation if I can avoid it. Once down there, I might change my mind. As it is, I would find it interesting to perhaps find an elderly couple who wouldn’t mind renting out a room for a while to someone who could in turn help them around the place.

Once we get a better lay of the geography and where we might want to settle, then we’ll worry about finding a condo or house. My criteria will of course be, how good are the corners!

We won’t be selling our current home. This is one reason I want to stay cheap for a while down there. I am about 15 payments away from paying my existing home off and since we’ll be keeping it, I’d rather not have a second payment down there until this one is paid off. My current home is located on my wifes childhood family farm. I’m effectively stuck with it for the rest of my life or until she decides she wants to sell.

I’ve talked to a couple people who are advertising a room within their home for rent. I’ve never done anything like that before… seems it could be interesting and annoying at the same time. I’m up for adventures so I’m looking at it as an interesting experience. If it turns sour, it can always be changed so it’s nothing that would become a crisis.

I would however, like to find someone that is into large fugly speakers that take up an entire room…. Not so sure that will happen. As it is, I’m planning on leaving my stuff at my house and worry about that later on. Who knows…..if all this pans out for the better, maybe we’ll buy a house down there that has the room and I’ll simply buy 5 more Jubilee’s for an instant HT setup and have some at both houses!

• Moderators

You would have been the last person I would expect to move considering where you live now.

I hope everything works out and you are happy with the change, good luck with everything. [Y]

You would have been the last person I would expect to move considering where you live now.

There is another way to look at that....

If I were to be honest, I'm currently living in a pretty sweet situation. It DOES have some downsides like living 15 miles out of town so if you run out of milk or toilet paper... [:|]

This was originally built to be our retirement/2nd home.... and now it looks like it might fulfill its original plans. One downside of that logic is, I have TWO sets of stairs. Who wants to be 80 years old fighting two sets of stairs every day?

So we got to live here for 10 years in great health, with her father and uncle living next door. Those memories will serve us much better than moving back here "later in life" and living here for 10 years then without her father & uncle living next door.

So in a sense, we are getting the best years out of the situation now while we can enjoy it.

I've moved around a bit in my life so for me it's nothing more than another adventure. Yeah, it's a pain in the hiney and yeah there is always some nerves attached to the unknowns but hey...the sun still comes out tomorrow and life moves on.

This is really the closest I've ever been to a divorce (other than my parents) in my life so it's a little somber for me in that regard.

Then again.... until the deal is closed and I'm down there, nothing is cast in stone.

I always thought having two homes would mean "in town and out at the lake". The idea of having two homes mean one at the lake and one at the ocean is intriguing.

I dread the thought of moving, mostly because of all the "stuff" I've accumulated over the last 20 or so years. I wish you nothing but good luck and good fortune on your new adventure. I hope everything goes smoothly and you encounter the best possible scenario at every turn.

Carl

Just make sure the room you rent can hold the jubs...You may have to sleep on them.

That way you don't have to worry about the palmetto bugs running up your leg at night...

I’ve never done anything like that before…seems it could be interesting and annoying at the same time.

Just like "The Odd Couple", eh?

Richard, we're thinking of you--good luck in your new adventure(s), and "may you live in interesting times" (an ancient Chinese curse). [6]

Call if you need anything (...except the TADs...).

Chris [;)]

• Moderators

I would however, like to find someone that is into large fugly speakers that take up an entire room….

Well there is that one place for rent, the Jacksonville Bikini Team is looking for someone to rent a room, but they will have to be able to put up the team practicing there show everyday. The rent is cheap for a huge house, they really just want someone to be there when there out of town. [H]

I'm sure the wife won't mind. [:o]

My sister lives in Atlantic Beach just north of Jax Beach. Very nice beach community but not snobby or snooty. Laid back with a sort of surfing culture. Shops, restaurants, activities, beach, all within a short 5 minute walk. Not sure of rental availability or $$$ but surely a nice place to live.

Good luck,

Bill

• Moderators

This was originally built to be our retirement/2nd home.... and now it looks like it might fulfill its original plans. One downside of that logic is, I have TWO sets of stairs. Who wants to be 80 years old fighting two sets of stairs every day?

So we got to live here for 10 years in great health, with her father and uncle living next door. Those memories will serve us much better than moving back here "later in life" and living here for 10 years then without her father & uncle living next door.

Very true, in the long run it may be the best thing you could do not even counting the job opportunity which could turn out to be very good.

I hope it works out great for you two. [Y] So I guess by next year you will be all tanned from hanging on the beach. [ip]

So I guess by next year you will be all tanned from hanging on the beach

They won't be calling me Mr. Abbs for nothing...

(camera cuts to beach scene... someone with irredescent white legs is strutting around like he's Mr. Something... everyone sees his white jelly like Pillsbury Doughboy "abs" and fights back their tears of embarassment for him)